New Maruti Baleno Hatchback Tyre Upgrade

Thread Starter #1
Hello TIAns!

We're getting our baleno delivered next week and i'm so excited to put bling wheels on! But to do that i need some advise from more experience folks like you.

Requirements :

Size: 195/55r16 (fixed!)
Excellent grip on dry surface
Good highway performance
Should last long! ( Atleast 30k km)
Exceptional ride comfort (Important)

Please leave your suggestions, let me know which brand i should go , list price if possible.

Thanks!

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
Re: Tyre upgrade for Baleno hatchback!

i agree with vipul. change to earth 1 tyres , it did wonders to my santro and i10. much better than acceleres i was using before.

you can also try michelin xm2 but those are expensive compared to the earth 1.

Chairmansaab : Have you driven the car with stock tyres yet? I am saying this because it is not necessary to upgrade your tyres. Since yours is a relatively new launch, not much reviews of the OEM rubber would be available. I think you should first take a thorough test drive, if not already taken, and then decide whether you really need a tyre upgrade.

In the opening post, you also mentioned "bling wheels". Planning for alloys too? Which variant have you booked?

Thread Starter #6
@ice_wise Hmm, My car is yet to be delivered. Probably next week. So i'm pre-planning/pre-purchasing alloys/tyres.

I've booked delta variant which comes with 15" steel rims and 185/65r15 MRF ZVTV rubber. As i would be upgrading to alloys, i decided to go for 16" rims and upgrade tyres as well !

@ice_wise Hmm, My car is yet to be delivered. Probably next week. So i'm pre-planning/pre-purchasing alloys/tyres.

I've booked delta variant which comes with 15" steel rims and 185/65r15 MRF ZVTV rubber. As i would be upgrading to alloys, i decided to go for 16" rims and upgrade tyres as well !
Okay then it is fine. I thought that you were blindly changing the tyres (and going for a different brand with same rims) just for the sake of it.

Check out the pictures of a Red Baleno which was showcased in some motor show before actual launch. It had black and silver diamond cut 16" alloys, which look absolutely smashing when compared to the poor OEM Design. You can go for Michelin or Yokohama Earth 1 tyres, if they are available in this size. I have heard that Yokohama Earth tyres are reasonably comfortable and all-rounders and I am using Michelin currently on my Swift. MRF is a harder and noisier compound. I have no idea about other brands as I am a newbie in the tyres department.

Edit - You can check with your Nexa dealer also. Some dealers were offering the option to upgrade to considerably better looking varieties of Neo Wheels at the dealership itself during delivery, in the case of S Cross. You can negotiate much harder on other freebies if you end up buying tyres and alloys from them.

Last edited:
I am using Michelin currently on my Swift. MRF is a harder and noisier compound. I have no idea about other brands as I am a newbie in the tyres department.
I am a regular user of Michelin since last three years. I bought four new MRF ZVTS tyres around four years earlier but within less than a year all of them had to be replaced. Since then I started using Michelin and now am very satisfied with it. Immediately after purchasing them had a trip of Sikkim and I myself wondered how did they withstand the unpaved and rugged roads there without even a cut in their sidewalls. Two tyres of XM1+ and two tyres of XM2 (I was one of the earliest buyer when the XM2 came out in the market) I bought had lasted over 60, 000 KM.

Four tyres of Michelin XM2 (175X65X14) costed me Rs 16800/-, after a little bargaining. Is these the usual price? Has anyone bought the same size recently?

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
@chairman - when i bought them for santro and i10 the website didn't show the tyre size that i got. it's best to visit a yokohama dealer to confirm.

@ rahul - what was the reason for replacing the mrf within a year ?

Four tyres of Michelin XM2 (175X65X14) costed me Rs 16800/-, after a little bargaining. Is these the usual price? Has anyone bought the same size recently?
I think the price is right. I got my Michelin XM2 185/70R14 from Snapdeal 2 months back for Rs. 16,799 (IIRC) and it costed me total around Rs. 17.5k after balancing and alignment.

Edit - I am also eager to know the reason for changing the MRFs in an year! And that your XM2s lasted for 60k kms is reassuring, if mine lasts for 40k kms, I would be more than happy.

Last edited:
Go for Continental Max Contact 5. The best you'll get in that size, but slightly more expensive than Bridgestone/Yoko.

Sir go for XM2 ,the tires will transform the car,i changed the tires for my Ritz,the grip level improved along with the plush ride quality,no noise from the tires,best of luck for your new car sir,

Thread Starter #13
I went to two tyre dealers today, these are deals i'm getting
First dealer:

Apollo Alnac 4G - 195/55r16 Rs. 6500/ tyre

Yokohama A drives - 205/55R16 Rs. 7200/ tyre

Exchange deal for stock MRF tyres.

185/65 R15 Rs. 3500 / tyre

Second dealer ( Authorised MRF only dealer)

16" unavailable and this guy has very bad attitude!
I asked him about price of 185/65 R15 ( Rs. 4750) and walked away! Also he won't buy back my MRF tyres!

So i'm losing Rs. 1250/ tyre !

Please give some insight if i'm getting good deals or just getting ripped of by first dealer?

I went to two tyre dealers today, these are deals i'm getting
First dealer:

Apollo Alnac 4G - 195/55r16 Rs. 6500/ tyre

Yokohama A drives - 205/55R16 Rs. 7200/ tyre

Exchange deal for stock MRF tyres.

185/65 R15 Rs. 3500 / tyre

Second dealer ( Authorised MRF only dealer)

16" unavailable and this guy has very bad attitude!
I asked him about price of 185/65 R15 ( Rs. 4750) and walked away! Also he won't buy back my MRF tyres!

So i'm losing Rs. 1250/ tyre !

Please give some insight if i'm getting good deals or just getting ripped of by first dealer?
The price with the first dealer seems to be fine. You can negotiate more and get 15k for your old tyres, by telling them that they would be hardly used (just from dealership to tyre shop) and stuff. It shouldn't be difficult as he has agreed at 14k already. You can check the prices at Snapdeal also, I bought my XM2 from there and the price I got was 1k less than market price (after balancing and alignment also). You will get an idea of the prevailing prices.

Apollo Alnac 4G are good tyres, which come standard on VW Polo. They have very good reviews by owners and in media drives. You will have to pay ~11k for a newer, better and wider set of tyres, which I don't think is that bad.

Top Bottom