New Manza Creeching & Refusing To Climb Uphill: Loss of Power

Re: New Manza Creeching & Refusing To Climb Uphill; Loss of Power

Was any warning lamp glowing on the MID, when all these incidents occured?
So sad to hear about your ordeal.
You should attach the videos to the customer care personnel.

Thread Starter #17

Was any warning lamp glowing on the MID, when all these incidents occured?
No that the 1st thing I noted if any warning light is lit up but no light was lit up all normal.

I think I have found one issue after giving up the above detailed account but need to test it with full loaded car on some steep curve.

Thread Starter #18

After posting this detailed account I discussed this problem among local friends in my community & one of them asked a detailed account which I gave after listening he pointed some questions to me & noted down few things in my post here.

We then reversed the sequence of events inspired by air crash investigations though I didn't had the luxury of blackbox in my car, but I maintained a detailed account of events date wise.

On 3rd june 2011 Due to ongoing problem of left pulling the car had gone to Oberai motors noida where even the 1st service was done. The alignment problem was not sorted out & was told that the knuckle & left lower arm needs to be changed.

When the car came back it was sounding a creeching problem from left side when braked & even less noise continuously when running but to me it was audible & I took the car back to Oberai motors for a checkup on 4th June 2011.

The break shoes were checked & I was told there does not seem to be any noise & they are fine, I did not have anything to say but on my drive back the sound remained as it is & again next day 5th june 2011, I discussed this issue with GM of oberai motors who were suppose to change the knuckle & left lower arm, he assured me that there is nothing major issue with the car & I can drive it as I asked him to wait 1 week for getting the left lower arm replaced as I had many pending holiday for the family which due to left pulling alignment problems was postponed earlier.

On 6th june After we reached kathgodam I clearly felt the drag & loss of brake
Now my friend asked me how can the drag be there if there is a loss of braking to which I added more details.

While running in plains 2 times while overtaking I felt the car did not gave me enough power in the 4th gear @2200rpm & I gave up overtaking. All this while the ac was on with window glasses so we could not smell anything. Between haldwani & kathgodam there is a moderate height where for the 1st time I felt the car didn't brake as it should, I then later braked full to confirm this & felt that the brake was not powerful enough. I didn't stop & continued up to kathgodam & up the hill started.

This is when the same brake which were not powerful enough started dragging the left wheel & hence the power was getting lost due to which I have reported earlier that I was not able to shift to 3rd gear I had to climb in 2nd gear up to jeolikot.

Its when we started from jeolikot the ac was switched off & windows were rolled down due to cool breeze blowing. after few kms we could smell the brake shoe burning & in the mid of the road I could not stop the car & was waiting to get a space to park the car.

Before I could do that worst case already happened & that happened bcoz the engine was surely having enough power but the left front wheel was dragging with the brake shoe & that is what caused the power loss hence the left rim & the disk was giving smoke & smelling like hell & too hot to touch.

Now right up in nainital & during my test with manza for shooting video this brake issue was there & thus you see me revving up to 3000 rpm yet not able to have enough power. This issue was reported to 1800 tata complain number & I was told that the pickup car will come to toe the car. Next day I was busy to make arrangements for the family further travel hence put on hold the car towing to haldwani.

On June 8th we drove to haldwani very carefully with over 4-5 stops & could feel the smell of brake shoes continuously while going down in 3rd gear with not much of braking yet the brake shoes were smelling & the noise was clear heard as tuk ........tuk ........tuk.

When we reached haldwani at Gola Ganpathi motors I showed the video to DET at workshop & told him about the old brake issue he took a small test drive within a silent area of workshop & confirmed that YES there is indeed a problem with the adjusting rod which is making the noise on braking.

Brake pads were cleaned & rubbed with sand paper then a thin lining which originally was there between the disk & shoes were removed to sort out the problem. I drove back to delhi on 8th night itself without any problem or drag or any braking noise which was there.

So I can now conclude that its neither the clutch failure nor the power loss with the engine but something while checking for the alignment isuue was left unfinished not tightened properly hence the problem started at Oberai motors which also failed to detect the 2nd time I reported the problem to them on 4th june.

Now we took 4 friends in the car & went to basement parking which does have a 30-40° slope & the car is not showing any power loss. I need to test this tomorrow in workshop & a full loaded car at 45-60° steep slope to be sure. Now I think we found the cause of this so called clutch failure which appeared as power loss but in reality the brake shoes were getting hot due to drag on the disk thus causing the power loss.

Will confirm my report tomorrow after I test in the workshop.

ilango[speed thirst];81963 said:
no one can compensate the fear that you felt in the mind.!
- Very true ilango !!!

Good to knw tht things ended fine without a major tragedy [thumbsup] Wish service enginers at Oberai motors had used their brain and detected the issue earlier! All these scary moments could have been avoided.

Phew just went through this entire thread , what a nightmare it must have been , disrupting the entire plans!

It has been proved once again , TATA cars are good when they come from the factory only these morons at the A.S.S spoil the car!

agree with dhaya . good to see no big expense . please do let us know about your second test

It is good that everyone is safe. Is the problem sorted out completely? And the drifting one, is it ok now?

Thread Starter #24

phew it was sorted out with no BIG expense.
THe biggest expanse has been my family holiday & additional 22000 for the taxi round trip.

This problem is not yet been "fully" sorted out as this problem is a secondary problem & now I even am able to related this to its primary left pulling problem which I posted a video & details here on page 3 a video & page 4 showing the images.
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...-manza-aura-abs-qjet-truly-breed-apart-4.html

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...brand-new-tata-indigo-manza-pulling-left.html

For left pulling problem I took the car to Urmil motors & sat there the whole day, they say that they have sorted out the left pulling problem & GM of urmil motors didn't gave me any alignment report but said that the caster was out by 1.6, which I cant understand as to when the car went to Oberai motors for alignment it did show correct reading & now another tata workshop say the reading were out.

Nevertheless they have sorted out the left pulling problem by some jugad (manipulation) & when I rotate the 2 front wheels the left wheel is having friction with brake pads & not moving freely as the right wheel is moving freely.

The technician at urmil motors say this is very normal for the left wheel as it generates more power hence get hotter..............they are trying to make fool of me knowing I don't know much about cars. Is it true ?

I drove back home 65kms & the left wheel rim is so hot that you will burn the finger if you touch it & the disk is similarly hot so I didn't even try to touch it whereas right wheel is normal hot due to braking & runing, so this confirms that they are not admitting to the fault right from the day 1 due to which the car had left pulling problem now by some manipulation they have sorted out the problem but created another problem which will have some negative effect on the normal running of the car.

I feel that the car has a misaligned disk due to accident or manufacturing fault but they are not owing it up as a problem. How can the disk alignment be checked when wheel alignment shows ok (don't even know the wheels are aligned or not as Urmil motors have not given the report)

Its indeed a nightmare & that still seems to continue even now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #25

Since morning I have been asking for the alignment report from urmil motors & have asked the same from GM urmil motors but on 1st call he was not in workshop, after 2 hours I called at 2pm he said he has just landed in the workshop will soon be emailing me the report & now when I called him up 3.11pm he says the printout cannot be given from the machine as the data is locked unless I get the car back to workshop.

Amazed at his answer I questioned his workshop working methods & asked him as to why the printout was not taken out on 11 june itself he had no answer. Now he says I will manually make the alignment report & email you, I said I want a computer printout, he is adamant that tomorrow you will get it today being Sunday its not possible.

Do you smell something fishy?
If there is the data in the computer as claimed by GM urmil motors of the alignment done on 11 june then cant that be printed out? He is asking me to take the car there at workshop.

I suggest you escalate the matter , these people are playing with your brand new car! Try mailing customer care or call to the toll free number which they must have given you while delivering the car.

Well I have strong reasons to believe that you have been handed a lemon. I think they have not done the alignment correctly and now want to have the car at the workshop so that they can have a try again(obviously to save their heads because maybe your car is still out of alignment).
Did Urmil gave you any Invoice this time mentioning that alignment has been done?

The 'jugaad' they did may hamper you more, I suggest you to may be go to a different dealership(probably a good one in delhi).
And yes You should definitely write to higher-ups a very strict letter mentioning your plight. May be you should also threaten them with legal action if it fails.

@Mods: sorry for back to back posts, I couldn't edit as 15 minutes were over.

@Gypsy: You should try Elegant Motors in Patparganz(heard lots of good things about them).

Gypsy, i have been following this thread since long, and like i said earlier, this kind of issue is least expected in a brand new car. I hate to say this but the situation could have been even worse if you had not used your skills while negotiating the down move of your car. I would strongly suggest you to escalate the matter to Tata officials, for their info and to make sure that even if you face any similar issue in future, it is resolved quickly and efficiently.

Hello Akash,
I too had a similar problem when driving on hill stations after a few climbs around hair pins saw the car getting sluggish and not responding as before. Started to slow down and I had to put in more power to push it. Also noticed that the temp gauge was also rising. Luckily before it was to get worse I reached my destination and that gave the car to cool down.

Also the Brakes during uphill it wasn't as responsive as in the highway. The pedal was going even further.

What other problems have you faced or facing . I got loads to share. Let me know.
cheers

Top Bottom