New Hyundai Grand i10 Running Board Damaged. Suggestions Needed

Thread Starter #1
Hi guys,

Unfortunately, the running board on my new Hyundai Grand i10 is damaged. While taking a sharp left turn at night, i failed to spot a rock protruding out of the pavement and the car took a significant hit. The rubberized part of the running board has caved in and there are a few deep scratches as well. Some paint has also peeled off.

I took the car to Hyundai ASC yesterday. SA recommended to replace the entire running board which costs 7.5k and add another 5-6k for labour and painting charges. Since i have Zero dep insurance, damage to my pocket will only be 1k. SA said that they would cut the existing running board and weld the new part. [cry] My question is, will the structural integrity of the car go for the toss by the welding process SA suggested? I have read online that the welded part would be prone to rusting. SA refused to the tinkering job saying that finishing wont be perfect. Please take a look at the pictures and suggest if this damage can be fixed by a denting/tinkering job.

Attachments

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Re: New Grand i10 running board damaged. Suggestions needed.

Dear Sumesh, This panel in the car if gets damaged or rusted then the only way to repair it is by cutting the damaged part off and placing the new one. I got the same panel repaired in my Esteem few years ago at the Maruti ASC. It would be a day's work. There is no other way out to repair it.

Regards

Akash

With these pics I don't see much of a damage; just few scratches and little caved in body.
Try asking a dry-denter if he can push the panel out. If possible, get it repainted and save your money!

Akash1886

Honoured Member

Hi guys,

Unfortunately, the running board on my new Hyundai Grand i10 is damaged. Please take a look at the pictures and suggest if this damage can be fixed by a denting/tinkering job.
Here is my another experience with a damaged running board of my CITY Ivtec. It happened on a sunny morning when the sky was Blue and the weather felt pleasant[lol]. Once I went to my FNG in Sector 8 Noida for some rebuffing of the door panels and over there the car's left side running board got badly damaged due to a jack rod!

Here is a step by step guide for the repair of the same. Hope the same will be of help to you. The mechanic drilled holes in the running board and then pulled the dent out.

photo1868.jpg

photo1869.jpg

photo1870.jpg

photo1872.jpg

photo1873.jpg

photo1874.jpg

photo1875.jpg

photo1892.jpg

photo1893.jpg

photo1894.jpg

Regards

Akash

Thread Starter #5

Thanks guys for the response. A local FNG guy checked the car and said the running board can be easily repaired. Front bumper also needs some touch up and the local guy quoted just 2.5k for repairing both running board and bumper. He said he will use a dent puller to pull the dent out and then paint the surface. He was ready to deliver the car on the same day compared to Hyundai who were quoting ~18k and 7 days to fix the damage.

Hyundai uses some kind of Rubberized material on their running boards. A little portion of it has peeled off. I'm not sure how the local denter will take care of it though.

Im still in two minds weather to opt for ASS or go with local FNG.

Akash1886

Honoured Member

A local FNG guy checked the car and said the running board can be easily repaired. Front bumper also needs some touch up and the local guy quoted just 2.5k for repairing both running board and bumper. He said he will use a dent puller to pull the dent out and then paint the surface. He was ready to deliver the car on the same day compared to Hyundai who were quoting ~18k and 7 days to fix the damage.

Hyundai uses some kind of Rubberized material on their running boards. A little portion of it has peeled off. I'm not sure how the local denter will take care of it though.

Im still in two minds weather to opt for ASS or go with local FNG.
Sumesh, I feel the FNG is worth going for. Suggest you to supervise the job and take note of each step. It is not worth spending 18K as repair cost buddy.

Regards

Akash

Thread Starter #7

Sumesh, I feel the FNG is worth going for. Suggest you to supervise the job and take note of each step. It is not worth spending 18K as repair cost buddy.

Regards

Akash
18k is the quote by Hyundai. Since i have zero dept insurance, outgo from my pocket should not be more than 1.5k,

Like you said, FNG makes more sense. Unfortunately, i'm away from home and not in a position to supervise. FNG person is a known guy so hopefully he won't mess things up.

Akash1886

Honoured Member

18k is the quote by Hyundai. Since i have zero dept insurance, outgo from my pocket should not be more than 1.5k
But you'll loose on the NCB, and at home the family might be immobile for a week and during renewal you would have to pay higher premium.

Like you said, FNG makes more sense. Unfortunately, i'm away from home and not in a position to supervise. FNG person is a known guy so hopefully he won't mess things up.
Its good then. Do tell your chauffeur or anyone of your family to supervise the work if possible.

Regards

Akash

Thread Starter #9
Re: New Hyundai Grand i10 Running Board Damaged. Suggestions Needed.

UPDATE : Got the car back from FNG. It took them a day and half to fix the dent and paint the effected part. Although running board finishing is not 100% but they have done a decent job.Hopefully a good wash and a nice 3m wax coat will get some shine back. They have also done an excellent job in fixing front bumper, bumper looks brand new now. Total damage to pocket 2.5k which included free pickup and drop. I believe the decision to get the Job done in a FNG turned out to be a good decision. I ended up saving NCB and a higher premium hit. Thank you Akshay and Sachin for your valuable advice and suggestions.

Attachments

Last edited:
UPDATE : Got the car back from FNG. It took them a day and half to fix the dent and paint the effected part. Although running board finishing is not 100% but they have done a decent job.Hopefully a good wash and a nice 3m wax coat will get some shine back. They have also done an excellent job in fixing front bumper, bumper looks brand new now. Total damage to pocket 2.5k which included free pickup and drop. I believe the decision to get the Job done in a FNG turned out to be a good decision. I ended up saving NCB and a higher premium hit. Thank you Akshay and Sachin for your valuable advice and suggestions.
Nice Work Sumesh!!

Could you please share the contact details of the workshop from where you have get this repaired.
My car too requires a denting/painting work.
Thanks in advance!

Here are few pics of my car

Attachments

Regards

Akash

Hi Akash,

I request you to please help me out by providing the details and location of the mechanic/ workshop you visited in Noida for running board dent removal. Thank you in advance.

Top Bottom