New Hyundai Elantra SX | 3rd Service Update | 13,500 Kms: Ownership Review

Thread Starter #1

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
*UPDATES*

Presenting another First Ownership Review of the New Hyundai Elantra at TAI [:D]

Another Hyundai added to the garage.

Took the delivery on 26th April 2017. our plan initially was to buy a new car for my dad since i was satisfied with the verna which didn't have any issue besides some suspension work. But as always our plans took a U-turn and decided to buy a new car for myself and that dad will drive the verna.

Initial Budget was set to 15 lakhs. let me take you back to November 2016. we were considering to buy the creta, yes the creta. the car i hate the most just because of the high pricing and various cost cuttings.

Requirements -a 5 seater Petrol car Below 14 lakhs and it shouldn't be a c segment car or a hatchback. Choices were very few.
  • Renault Duster: Outdated car. no top end petrol variant but with the best suspension in the segment and above.

• Honda BRV: Wouldn't spend that much for a beefed up mobilio.

• Ford Ecosport: Too old but an excellent car for a first time buyer.

• Hyundai Elantra S: I was reluctant to buy this also , manual AC , no rear parking sensors. Hyundai was known for a feature rich car but slowly they are deleting features from their new cars. i remember the old gen elantra had most of the features standard across the variants. Plus dad was reluctant to buy a sedan again.

• Maruti S-Cross: Another underrated car and i liked it very much but it had a diesel engine. rejected.
That's pretty much it. i was reluctant to buy the creta but my sister and dad liked the creta very much and thought having a Suv will be a welcome change. But then demonetization happened and we put all the plans on hold.

In march dad again asked me to choose a car and i rejected creta for Elantra SX by increasing the Budget by 2 lakhs dad agreed [:D]

Pricing

• Ex.Showroom: 1490189

• 1% TCS:..........14902

• Basic Kit:...........2500

• Discounts*:......28739

• Net:............1635000

• Insurance**:...49500

• Bank P.F:..........2500

*Friend recently bought a Tuscon and i bought the Elantra from the same dealer so i got this discount. at the time of delivery my adviser told me the prices have been increased by 1673 rupees and i need to pay it. i politely asked him to adjust the difference in discounts. Effective discount - Rs.30412. Plus i also got 4th year warranty free as loyalty.

**Bought the insurance policy from dealer which includes Zero Depreciation cover , consumables cover , engine and gearbox cover plus tyres and key loss.

Buying & Dealership Experience:

Initially i was happy since i got around 30k discounts but the adviser was really lazy and weird. He specially came home to collect cheques for loan and forgot to get them signed. told him to collect balance cheque and he picked up after 2 days.

I waited at the service center for 2 hours for the delivery because he didn't do all the paperwork. forgot to take sign on some forms related to registration when he came home. didn't do the insurance paperwork. he told me he was delivering some other car but still he had sufficient time to do all that beforehand. poor experience.

Initial Impressions:

Drove the car for 110kms on Delivery day and what a smooth car this is.

The car looks really wonderful , my family liked it a lot since they didn't see the car before in person. they appreciated the space and the rear seat comfort. verna rear seats are a little too low so this was a welcome change.

Gears and clutch is smooth with having a little longer throw than the verna but not tiring at all.

car is silent and road noise is minimal thanks to silica tyres. Only after looking at the Speed i got to know car was cruising at 70kmph.

Dad was very much happy with the interior quality as well. family loved the rear parking sensors and the touch screen navigation system.

For extensive review please check vipul's review here. I will keep this short and will update only my experience with the car.

Some pics i clicked before taking the delivery. i hate these ribbons and they also attract unwanted eyes.

225092d1493232076t-looking-car-my-dad-img_20170427_001003.jpg

225093d1493232076t-looking-car-my-dad-img_20170427_001028.jpg

After taking the delivery.

1st reply.jpg

1st reply (2).jpg

Choco box i received from Hyundai. packaging is so-so. Tata gave a very good choco box while taking delivery of my friend's tiago.

CHoco box 1.jpg

choco box 2.jpg

The Infotainment System

infotainment system.jpg

Center Console

center console.jpg

center console (2).jpg

Reverse Camera. Elantra with the sibling [:D]

reverse cam.jpg

Keyless Entry. both keys are the same.

key.jpg

Leather Pouch which came with the car to keep all the documents in.

Leather pouch.jpg

the MID without the supervision cluster.

mid.jpg

it has 2 trip meters , tells the range , mileage of the car plus an option to turn off the digital speedometer.

Dislikes
  1. The Music System is really poor. the sound level is not upto the mark. friend's tucson has much better speakers.
  2. ORVM aren't that great compared to my verna
  3. No chrome usage in the interior plus i am not a fan of all black interiors. I like a combination of beige and black.
  4. No speed Sensing Auto lock
  5. The door lock button besides the door lever doesn't operate locks for all the 4 doors. if i use that button only the driver's side door gets locked. In verna all doors get locked from the driver's side. have to use the different button provided near the power window which i previously used only for unlocking the doors.
  6. Driver Armrest is fixed [frustration] not at all comfortable to drive with fixed armrest. these little things takes away the fun to drive the car.

Center Console
center console.jpg

Dual Zone Automatic AC controls.
AC controls.jpg
The road noise is so minimal that even the fan setting at level 4 seems high.

Area between the Driver and Passenger.
center.jpg
2 cup holders but sadly armrest is fixed[frustration]

Dashboard from the Passenger side.
dashboard.jpg
the top portion uses soft touch plastic.

Glove Box
glove box.jpg
with chilling feature

Just below the AC controls is this compartment which houses a cigarette lighter , 12V power socket , usb and aux connections.
cover for usb.jpg
usb and aux.jpg

The ORVM.
orvm.jpg
] i Found verna's ORVM better than the Elantra. visibility is less compared to the verna.

Power Window buttons with auto fold mirror button
power window.jpg
sadly these are not back lit.

The Steering Wheel.
steering.jpg
Missing buttons are an eyesore

The Door Lever.
silver finish door lever.jpg
chrome lever on verna is much better looking than this.

Seat Fabric.
seat fabric.jpg

Storage space under the Armrest.
storage.jpg
tirage.jpg

The MID.

Trip A plus Average time plus average speed.
trip a time and average speed.jpg

Trip B plus Average time plus Average Speed.
trip b.jpg

Option to Turn off Digital Speedometer.

digital speed.jpg

Range and Average Mileage
range and mileage.jpg

Just below the driver's side ac vent there are two buttons to control the headlamp level and the brightness of the ODO.
control for brightness.jpg

Last edited:
Thread Starter #2

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
With the Elantra i got 3 years warranty, service package road side assistance, map updates. Plus the loyalty got me 4th year warranty for free.

The card which states the same

free service.jpg
1st free service detail

1st free service.jpg

1st free service (2).jpg

*to be done at 1500 kms or within 2 months whichever is earlier.

*first service is very basic which includes just inspection , washing the car and topping up of oil is required.
2nd free service detail

2nd free service.jpg

2nd free service (2).jpg

*to be done at 10000 kms or within 12 months whichever is earlier.

*this includes replacement of engine oil,oil filter and climate control air filter.
3rd free service details

3rd free service.jpg

3rd free service (2).jpg

*to be done at 20000 kms or within 24 months

*this includes replacement engine oil , oil filter ,climate control air filter and the fuel filter.
4th free service detail

4th free service.jpg

4th free service (2).jpg

*to be done at 30000 kms or within 36 months whichever is earlier

*this includes replacement of engine oil , oil filter,air filter,climate control air filter
also adding pics of the maintenance schedule and the type of oil to be used in the car.

MS 1.jpg

ms 2.jpg

ms3.jpg

ms4.jpg

ms5.jpg
while going through the manual i didn't see any details of the features of the car and then i found this at the last page.

feature cd.jpg

just checked the DVD and it's a joke [lol]
hh.png
it's just the extended manual , nothing else.

2. AC vents present in the car
ac.png

3. The 5" touchscreen system present in the base model S.
bae.png

Elantra's Manual

Re: New Hyundai Elantra SX Petrol : Ownership Review

Congrats on your Elantra. Your pictures don't do enough justice to the car, please share more when you get a chance [:)].

Thread Starter #6

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member

Thanks vibhor , prabhagar and amby.
I am waiting for the registration number so that i can take out the car. I reach home at night only so clicked pics in dark. Will surely upload better pics after a few days.

Last edited:

Congratulations on the Elantra
I can see that the fog lamps are projector units.
Can you please give a comparison of them with the Verna units?
Thanks

bhvm

Honoured Member

Congrats, Its an exclusive and stylish car.
Happy miles ahed!

Thread Starter #11

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member

Thanks krishna and bhvm.
@ prakritij- will certainly do after driving for some time. Stupid adviser hasn't given me an update regarding the registration number. Will go to the dealership tomorrow for the same.

@phukan - no it doesn't.

That's a crisp review out there . Have a happy & safe ownership bro .

Did you check the other D-Segments like Octavia , etc ?

Thread Starter #14

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member

Thanks vishesh.

@vaishak- i didn't check any other car at the time of purchasing.
2 months back my friend was looking for a d segment car. He already had a top end laura which he sold just for 2-3 lakhs after 8 years plus the spares were expensive.
Checked altis and the interior quality was really bad. We saw a 200-300kms run car and the interior looked as if it's a 3-4 year old car. Really bad plastic quality. For the same reason i rejected creta.
Even though octavia was my dream car i didnt choose it just because of the reasons mentioned above. Rejected corrola because of interior quality plus the price.
My cousin bought the prefacelift g model at 16 lakhs after discounts. The facelift costs 2.5 lakhs more now. Don't think toyota added 2.5 lakhs worth of goodies in the variant.

Got the number yesterday. Will upload some pics today.

Top Bottom