New Force MPV Based On Mercedes Viano - Spy Shot

Thread Starter #1
We reported earlier that Force Motors is planning to launch a Multi-Purpose Vehicle (MPV) in collaboration with Daimler AG by 2012 in Indian market. Now, according to some reports, this MPV will be based on Mercedes-Benz Viano.

Force Motors signed a licence agreement with Daimler AG for the MPV project in July. The Mercedes-Benz Viano will be rebadged as Force Motors product and will be sold as eight seater vehicle instead of seven seater version available in international market. the company hopes to sell this MPV between Rs 10 – 15 lakh.

Force Motors’ MPV is likely to feature the same engine (codename OM 611) and transmission as used on the recently-launched Force One SUV. That means the MPV will be powered by a Mercedes-Benz-licensed 2.2-litre, common-rail, four-cylinder engine. Peak power will be a decent 139bhp at 3800rpm that will be transmitted to the rear wheels (just as on the Viano) via a five-speed manual gearbox.

This is not the first time Force Motors is using a Mercedes-Benz product and rebadging it. Its Traveller light commercial vehicle line-up is also a Mercedes-Benz model called Transporter.

Source:ACI,IAB

Watch out Innova ?

Attachments

350Z

Core Team
I think that earlier it was also officially available as a direct import. There are many Viano plying as executive cabs in New Delhi and I prefer it for the sophisticated looks which are good for corporate segment. The price tag around Rs.10 Lakh is fine considering that it used to cost twice or thrice of it after import. All that remains to be seen is whether people would prefer it after Force logo? Because in the corporate sector, brand value itself matters a lot.

Drive Safe,
350Z

I think that earlier it was also officially available as a direct import. There are many Viano plying as executive cabs in New Delhi and I prefer it for the sophisticated looks which are good for corporate segment. The price tag around Rs.10 Lakh is fine considering that it used to cost twice or thrice of it after import. All that remains to be seen is whether people would prefer it after Force logo? Because in the corporate sector, brand value itself matters a lot.

Drive Safe,
350Z
The hospitality sector has huge advantage for imports coz the Govt charges mere 5% as import duty as against 110% for individuals. However, for 5% duty, the car comes with yellow number plate (permit).

Hence, if Force keeps the price around 11L, it may work for hospitality sector, else they will continue to prefer Viano only. However, for masses, it will be better choice compared to Innova/Winger/Traveller.

** I have seen Merc Viano at Hotel Le Meridian, Pune. It belongs to the hotel & is used to pick & drop their customers.

Hey there's only one door on the driver side. I would never buy a vehicle with doors only on one side. Safety issue. My cousin and his friends died in an accident traveling in a matador mainly because of the missing door on one side. This is ok for cargo vehicles only. I hope FM doesn't make an exact copy of the vehicle shown in that news article.

I wish at least one manufacturer gives Innova a run for its money!

FM MPV will do really well only if:
- the technical and interior build quality is really good (long lasting)
- it's spacious
- reasonably good VFM
- excellent A.S.S

The last point is most important. I can't stress enough.
That's going to be a deal breaker. India is a huge country and maintaining consistent A.S.S of high quality is going to be very tough.

Currently FM's service is not even visible. People including me are yet to see a FM service center. May be I need to look carefully while I drive around.

Last edited:
But the pic shown is that of Merc Viano. Hope fit & finish would be atleast 50% of what is offered on Viano.
Force Motors has bought the right to manufacture the previous gen Viano it will just be re-badged product,since all the tooling comes from M-B fitting and finesse should be at par with the current expectations.

Hey there's only one door on the driver side.
This product comes with 2 front normal doors and 2 sliding doors in the middle, nothing to worry

Spied – Force MPV is the 1996 Mercedes Vito, arriving in Q1 2015

The upcoming Force MPV was spied on the Mumbai-Pune expressway. And guess what? It is the 1996 Mercedes Vito Van! Codenamed W638, the first generation Vito was sold from 1996 to 2003. This is the model that is headed to India in 2015

Force MPV would be launched sometime in the first quarter of 2015. Earlier set for a 2014 launch, the MPV has been delayed due to the general slowdown in the auto industry.

Force Motors has already received the green light from Daimler to produce the Vito van. Our source also informs us that the various jigs, fixtures and tooling have been handed over to Force Motors.

Force Motors will most likely use the 2.2-liter FMTECH engine which they are using on the Force One. This engine comes from Mercedes Benz anyway. So technically speaking, the Force MPV is a Mercedes Benz with a Mercedes engine and gearbox!

Force MPV is the 1996 Mercedes Vito coming in Q1 2015

Attachments

Top Bottom