New Force Gurkha 4x4 Review & Pictures

Hi Major,

How's Gurkha doing??? Please update thread with your owner ship experience.
Few things would like to know:
-- Max speed that Gurkha can handle on highway without engine taking load/harsh vibes?
-- whats the mileage you get on highway's?
-- Any niggles so for?
-- Tried off roading?

? To other experts in Forum: How good/bad fitting manual lock hubs to Gurkha?

Thanks Major

Hi Guys,

Any update on BS4 (CRDe) Force Gurkha? few google posts said in Aug 2015 that it is going to be "released next month", stil nothing so far

Last edited:
Hi Major,

How's Gurkha doing??? Please update thread with your owner ship experience.
Few things would like to know:
-- Max speed that Gurkha can handle on highway without engine taking load/harsh vibes?
-- Any niggles so for?
-- Tried off roading?

? To other experts in Forum: How good/bad fitting manual lock hubs to Gurkha?

Thanks Major
Hi Boon,
Sorry for not replying earlier. Please find my answers inline -
-------- Well the max that I have pushed it to is 120km/h - and that was on a straight stretch of highway. Wont usually push that far on normal stretch (with mild turns) as the Gurkha does feel somewhat awkward while turning fast.
-------- So mostly I drive at 90 to 100 km/h on highways good enough for me as I'm not speed freak

-------- I actually keep track of mileage - it gave me 12.5 on my last highway trip in July and it generally gives me 10.5 to 11 in city. Not at all bad, quite good in fact. I know many petrol hatchbacks give 13-14 in city - I don't mind the 2kms less for everything else that I get with the Gurkha

-- Any niggles so for?
-------- Well the odometer cable snapped once and it took more than a month for the service centre to get the spare.
-------- And the window beading has become unglued - so it is difficult to move the window panes. And there'sno spare beading available
Other than that it has generally been fine.

-- Tried off roading?
-------- Well not really, but many stretches of my daily commute from home to office feels almost like offroading. But then on a serious note, I didn't really buy this vehicle to do the "rich boy's 2nd vehicle to roger in the mud over the weekends" kind of offroading. I just wanted to be able to go anywhere, get off the road if I want to, without worrying if my vehicle can go. And fortunately I have been able to do that quite often - from taking the Gurkha all the way to the sea front to wandering off on dusty hill tracks. Hoping to push it further on future trips.

Hope that was useful.

One more important news for anyone interested in getting an almost new 2013 Gurkha at a discounted price. Well the showroom owner at Chennai was telling me a few weeks back that the new Gurkha is expected by end of year. It's a 5-door model with a BharatStage-4, CRDI engine. So he wants to sell this demo model for 2 Lakhs less than showroom price and it has doen some 4 or 5000 on the odo. I am sure someone must be interested in buying the simple old model with the more reliable engine before it is phased out.

New CRDe with 5 Door option launched

Many Changes
- Tubular Chasis Gone instead C-C Ladder type
- Ground Clearance reduced 5 MM but still higher than Thar
- And many more family friendly changes

I told somewhere else that, having a modern touch with retaining virtues of Gurkha is a big challenge. Not sure it passed. Someone who does test drive can comment.

bhvm

Honoured Member
I thought that this could be a Thar Beater . Then I noticed that 5 door version does not have 4x4 mentioned in specs. That would be really disappointing.

5 Door comes with 4X4(X4) :-).

from the spec the 5 door doesnt comes with 4 low

LOW 4X4- 1ST GEAR 40° - this option for 5 door is blank. I dont understand the technicality, though.

Last edited:

bhvm

Honoured Member
Does that mean the 5 door is just AWD like XUV & Duster?
Center diff lock but not Low range selector. Even that does not make sense.
Other issue is measly 85HP engine. Considering that even hatchbacks come with 80+HP now.

And I've extensively driven the force 2.6L Engine. Its a very stupid one with tractor like feel. No acceleration at all. Force always tends to mess up at simple things.

It really looks hot.. Major... please comment if you are ok. we can plan for a test drive
Hi Kadumedu,

It was thanks to your post that I learnt about the launch of the new 2017 Gurkha.

I think the new Gurkha is not available in Chennai. At least as per the website, for Tamilnad it's only Coimbatore that's listed. May take a while before it comes to Chennai.

But I must say it looks classy. Wish they'd not tinkered with the looks of my Gurkha.

I am seriously considering getting the new grill and front metal bumper.

Does that mean the 5 door is just AWD like XUV & Duster?
Center diff lock but not Low range selector. Even that does not make sense.
No 5 door Xpedition is 4x2 (4x4 on order).
the 4x4 version is just like Xplorer with diff locks at both ends, & transfer case with high/low gears.

Hi Kadumedu,

It was thanks to your post that I learnt about the launch of the new 2017 Gurkha.

I think the new Gurkha is not available in Chennai. At least as per the website, for Tamilnad it's only Coimbatore that's listed. May take a while before it comes to Chennai.

But I must say it looks classy. Wish they'd not tinkered with the looks of my Gurkha.

I am seriously considering getting the new grill and front metal bumper.
In coimbatore also it is not available. Not just the product, the pricing detail itself is not available. Typical FORCE way... ������

Last edited:
Thanks for beautiful & meaningfull discussion. I'm bubbling to get one for me. As now it's bs-iv. To me the waiting is over just need to arrange finance. Dealers at Kolkata yet not received the updated 2017 model for test which they say can be here by 17th of this month.

Top Bottom