New Force Gurkha 4x4 Review & Pictures

Re: New Force Gurkha 4x4 Test Drive Review

Excellent review IR.

One of the most detailed review I have ever read (read completely). To be honest, I have never been into 4X4, but your Storme review and now this one, have been a guide for me to get a better understanding of such vehicles. Enjoyed reading every bit of it.

Coming back to the Gurkha now, I am sure the USP of this SUV is definitely the Merc engine and its offroading capabilities. If I had that amount of moolah to spend on a vehicle dedicated just for my off roading excursions, it would surely have been the Gurkha.

Last edited:

Dear Iron Rock: I have read all reviews of the Gurkha in auto magazines as well as on the internet and I must say that this is the best review that I have come across till date. Very good attention to detail (wires could get caught in high grass, yeah!) combined with nice, exhaustive photographs (special thanks to Bumblebee). Wonder what was your motivation[;)]?

I have a few questions:

1. Why does the body paint on the engine firewall seem different from the body paint on the rest of the vehicle? Maybe they didn't paint the firewall at all?

2. Why do they attribute all faults to the test mule being a 'pre-production' model? Do you take that bait? I am asking this because the vehicle which you tested looks production ready and no test mule would have a mere 9xxx kms on its odo.

3. The engine bay looks old school muscular. I like. But what's your opinion on the plumbing? I can see the radiator hose touching the air intake hose touching the EGR hose touching the turbo hose blah...

4. So many sharp edges all around and inside the Gurkha, not including the Khukri badge - did you have to use band aid?

5. 0.806 ratio for the fifth gear? I expect it will cruise at 100-110 without making much racket. What do you say?

6. Have they used all recycled plastic for the insides?[surprise]

7. Does the handbrake work, or is it like the one in the Thar - 'Pull to get Disappointed Type?'

8. Why is there so much rust on the underbelly? It sure ain't mud.

9. Better packaging angle for the exhaust? Ha ha. Ask them to pack one for my birthday. Idiots.

10. If I install a larger hub for increasing the PCD, does my warranty still hold true? Any idea what's the OEM PCD figure?

11. How long is their test track? I agree that a larger and more challenging test track would be welcome but maybe it won't be so welcome for the Gurkha.

12. Do you have some more pictures of the rear axle articulation? Being a rigid, this one might be more...umm...articulate.

13. When I drive leisurely, I keep my right elbow on the window sill. You seem to be doing the same in one of the snaps while negotiating the track. Does the Gurkha really make it so easy?

14. That single horn peeping from behind the front grille reminds me of my old neighbour uncle who has only one tooth left on his lower jaw. You can see it whenever he laughs.

Man. Now THAT is an ugly grille. Didn't you ask them to change it?

15. Using brakes to descend? I thought the Gurkha's USP was it's crawl. Am thoroughly disappointed. Maybe they reduced the crawl ratio in favour of better highway performance, a la the Thar.

16. How is the plastic quality on the door handles? Will they last?

17. How noisy is the AC? I can see all four centre vents tilted towards the driver's side and if you are still complaining about lack of cooling, it must be really bad.

18. Good to see the cat con is not hanging like the one in the Thar. Did you scrape it anytime?

19. The crevice between the dash and the front windscreen to demist the latter - is it there by design or by default:biggrin:?

20. Who is the great man at Force motors who said, "yeah, put an arm rest on the front seats of the Gurkha but no no no no armrest for the front seats of the Force One, okay?"

21. Is the holding arm of the glove box broken or am I seeing things?

22. What's a pink pouch doing inside the glovebox of an E.O.V? Hope it does not have nail paint and lipsticks and mascara.....

23. Is that the OEM seat trim?

24. That rear foot step on the green Gurkha, is it OEM?; and what does it do to the angle of departure?

25. 9xxx kms test mule. What about rattles?

26. Off topic: How was the ride in the Force One?

Many thanks again for your hard work. Hoping to see more things from you and other Maestros in the future.

p.s.:
@Keith: I guess that gap is for people like us to bitch about the poor build quality.
@Akash: Its not a Mercedes engine but an engine based on an old Mercedes engine. The OM616 was the Mercedes engine.

Last edited:

IR buddy that's an excellent and a detail review. I bet the best review anyone can find.

Deserves a 5 * rating. [clap]

Great work[thumbsup]

@IR,

Hmm, WOW !! excellent pics and detailed review, enjoyed a lot reading it and I rate this as ***** [clap].

The inside finish of the doors seems to be very rough and some places on dash too

Great work iron rock. An impressive review.
This one is clearly a no nonsense offroader.
Definitely not for all. I liked it.
5 stars to the thread and Gurkha.

Thread Starter #21

Holy moly what a review ironrock .

And who else can do this review better then you. super review , superb pics and I think it is a one of its kind a first comprehensive review of the Gurkha ever .

Kudos to your effort rating 5* .
Thanks a lot sir, we were a bit limited as this was within the factory premises so not all aspects could be tested. Hopefully we should a detailed real world off road test shortly - the Gurkha is much more capable.

The much awaited review is finally here.

Any inside factory pics.Showing the building and assembling process?

Extensive writeup and awesome pictures.Great job

Whats with the gap in the fenders and the moulding.Is this for water to escape during wading?
Thanks jarpickle and sorry it took a while, i doubt if that was intentional, the front bumper and fender were taking quite a pounding in the articulation pits - brutal impacts considering those are fibre they were still holding on with scars and bruises - i believe it caused by some test driver who landed on the fender.

Also Gurkha is manufactured in Pithampur, MP not Pune - we have asked for factory access and coverage. Hopefully should happen soon.

Great review and writeup. The exterior looks great.They would have worked on the dash to attract customers.
Thanks yes i agree fully with you.

Excellent review IR.

One of the most detailed review I have ever read (read completely). To be honest, I have never been into 4X4, but your Storme review and now this one, have been a guide for me to get a better understanding of such vehicles. Enjoyed reading every bit of it.

Coming back to the Gurkha now, I am sure the USP of this SUV is definitely the Merc engine and its offroading capabilities. If I had that amount of moolah to spend on a vehicle dedicated just for my off roading excursions, it would surely have been the Gurkha.
Thanks Akash and you are right off-road this one is mighty!

Dear Iron Rock: I have read all reviews of the Gurkha in auto magazines as well as on the internet and I must say that this is the best review that I have come across till date. Very good attention to detail (wires could get caught in high grass, yeah!) combined with nice, exhaustive photographs (special thanks to Bumblebee). Wonder what was your motivation?

I have a few questions:
Many thanks again for your hard work. Hoping to see more things from you and other Maestros in the future.

p.s.:
@Keith: I guess that gap is for people like us to bitch about the poor build quality.
@Akash: Its not a Mercedes engine but an engine based on an old Mercedes engine. The OM616 was the Mercedes engine.
Thank you grand maestro sir[:D], Ill revert back on your questions once i finish reading the long list :tongue:

IR buddy that's an excellent and a detail review. I bet the best review anyone can find.

Deserves a 5 * rating.

Great work
Thanks Singhji, as we own soft-roaders, once a blue moon we realize what we are missing!I would love to take a Gurkha though on a detailed offroad excursion outside the factory - that will put it through a thorough test!

@IR,

Hmm, WOW !! excellent pics and detailed review, enjoyed a lot reading it and I rate this as ***** .

The inside finish of the doors seems to be very rough and some places on dash too
Thanks Sir, yes there are some rough edges and we had a long detailed talk about it - at the price being asked i think these things should be handled at production spec.

Great work iron rock. An impressive review.
This one is clearly a no nonsense offroader.
Definitely not for all. I liked it.
5 stars to the thread and Gurkha.
It indeed is - Old School, No Nonsense Off-roader and that too in stock form! Youll need to spend not too much on this even if you are a serious offroader.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #22

1. Why does the body paint on the engine firewall seem different from the body paint on the rest of the vehicle? Maybe they didn't paint the firewall at all?
It probably is just primered - having said that its a common phenomenon nowadays to not paint the final lacquer odd out of reach places -> out of sight is out of mind.

2. Why do they attribute all faults to the test mule being a 'pre-production' model? Do you take that bait? I am asking this because the vehicle which you tested looks production ready and no test mule would have a mere 9xxx kms on its odo.
They didnt attribute it explicitly and not to everything - but it was something told to us upfront that these were media prototypes and we will be lent a separate production spec later - I expect by end of July, so that will help make the final call.

3. The engine bay looks old school muscular. I like. But what's your opinion on the plumbing? I can see the radiator hose touching the air intake hose touching the EGR hose touching the turbo hose blah...
As i said plumbing/fit and finish isnt up to mark, as an owner Araldite will become a mandatory accessory after a few years - the bad part is the fit and finish , the good part just about anyone should be able to clamp it back or stick it on. Mechanically not much can go wrong , just keep tightening and replacing clamps once a while.

4. So many sharp edges all around and inside the Gurkha, not including the Khukri badge - did you have to use band aid?
Not really but yes it needs some polishing for the rough edges

5. 0.806 ratio for the fifth gear? I expect it will cruise at 100-110 without making much racket. What do you say?
Thats exactly what prompted to say it will be an OK highway cruiser 100-120 range shouldnt be too hard given the over drive ratio.

6. Have they used all recycled plastic for the insides?
Ideally they should have given Old Sumo or Bolero type dash atleast - this one is not up to the mark really and looks hand made! Or even reused something from their own line.

7. Does the handbrake work, or is it like the one in the Thar - 'Pull to get Disappointed Type?'
Worked perfectly fine!

8. Why is there so much rust on the underbelly? It sure ain't mud.
It is mud actually - there was not much worry for rust, the gauge is so thick even if it rusts and some metal flies away you can survive a life time.

9. Better packaging angle for the exhaust? Ha ha. Ask them to pack one for my birthday.
The cat con surely deserves a better location than that.

10. If I install a larger hub for increasing the PCD, does my warranty still hold true? Any idea what's the OEM PCD figure?
The figure I gave of 7.50 R 16 is maximum recommended upsize with PCD change from Force - so yes warranty shouldn't be an issue in that case - Best to speak with the dealer as well to reiterate this. I am not sure of the current PCD size for sure, will reconfirm and post.

11. How long is their test track? I agree that a larger and more challenging test track would be welcome but maybe it won't be so welcome for the Gurkha.
Its not a long track by any means and i agree with you the Gurkha can do much more. We have seen manufacturers doing mickey mouse stunts with artificial structures, so this one is far better than that - there are probably very few indian vehicles I would even considering plonking in the articulation pit(without causing damage).
Off-course real world conditions are more unpredictable and hence challenging.

12. Do you have some more pictures of the rear axle articulation? Being a rigid, this one might be more...umm...articulate.
It doesnt articulate much, infact there are a few pictures in the article which shows the one of the rear tyres air borne - infact don't worry about articulation you got lockers instead!

13. When I drive leisurely, I keep my right elbow on the window sill. You seem to be doing the same in one of the snaps while negotiating the track. Does the Gurkha really make it so easy?
You will need a little bit of getting used to the driving position and steering rake - having said that i do beleive there is sweet spot in every vehicle that a owner will eventually find or get used to(if not direct then with an easy jhugad). I liked the seat they were well cushioned - ergonomics on arm rest and gear lever position isnt great. The 4x4 lever is more easily reachable than the gear lever. If you are coming from something else and try a new thing it will inevitably not come to you naturally - i wouldn't worry about it.

14. That single horn peeping from behind the front grille reminds me of my old neighbour uncle who has only one tooth left on his lower jaw. You can see it whenever he laughs.
Hope your uncle isnt reading this![;)] -" Mr. Dinkar you come asking for sugar when you run out of it , and now you post about my tooth online " - Your Friendly neighborhood uncle. A very warm welcome to that uncle to TAI - his indirect presence is welcome as well. Err did you want to comment on horn as well ?

Man. Now THAT is an ugly grille. Didn't you ask them to change it?
While in the test track we also had a Gurkha with rectangular lights and trax front grill - my first comment to them was everyone would want that as an accessory too. Having said that certain angles it doesn't look that bad - they should have kept the boxy rectangular theme though - old school and butch.

15. Using brakes to descend? I thought the Gurkha's USP was it's crawl. Am thoroughly disappointed. Maybe they reduced the crawl ratio in favour of better highway performance, a la the Thar.
Probably yes, I calculated it but rather not post it, i have asked them the official crawl number. Having said that the crawl still is a big big USP - its by no means inadequate, though offroaders always will ask more!

16. How is the plastic quality on the door handles? Will they last?
Surely not the best quality , average to low.

17. How noisy is the AC? I can see all four centre vents tilted towards the driver's side and if you are still complaining about lack of cooling, it must be really bad.
We spent an entire afternoon with the vehicle at the factory premise itself and for shooting purpose and communication kept the windows largely open - yes the AC didnt feel effective but I will wait to see a production vehicle to comment definitively. Noise wasn't a worry.

18. Good to see the cat con is not hanging like the one in the Thar. Did you scrape it anytime?
One of the images shows the hit and deformity the cat con sustained - its positioning could have been better.

19. The crevice between the dash and the front windscreen to demist the latter - is it there by design or by default:biggrin:?
As primitive as it could get but it was surprisingly effective !

20. Who is the great man at Force motors who said, "yeah, put an arm rest on the front seats of the Gurkha but no no no no armrest for the front seats of the Force One, okay?"
I havent met him yet, very soon when the 4x4 launches in July(or so we are told) - hopefully we will test that one in detail too.

21. Is the holding arm of the glove box broken or am I seeing things?
It was removable holding arm , again poor fit and finish.

22. What's a pink pouch doing inside the glovebox of an E.O.V? Hope it does not have nail paint and lipsticks and mascara.....
If it indeed did - I apologise for not reviewing it as well, ohh man what a blooper, we could have got 4 times the hit as what Loreal gets!

23. Is that the OEM seat trim?
Yes bone stock with no custom covers.

24. That rear foot step on the green Gurkha, is it OEM?; and what does it do to the angle of departure?
The soft top has this by default for obvious reasons , the hard top didnt - good question! Its a must have in my view, even if you hit - nothing much could happen - it would be easy to mend/remove !

25. 9xxx kms test mule. What about rattles?
There wasn much plain roads within the premise , hardly a small stretch, hence as i said not much comment on highway usage. My view is if the same dashboard is retained, it will rattle eventually but nothing that you cant fix easy - not a suggestion for hygienic reasons but seen chewing gum used to fix such problems !

26. Off topic: How was the ride in the Force One?
It was a very limited experience - i hope we could do a detailed review of the upcoming 4x4 version shortly. I also know someone who is doing a Leh- Khardungla shortly in the Force one!

Last edited:

Excellent review Iron Rock.
Very good attention to details - err.. talking about your review and not the car.

This Gurkha is looking much better then the Thar externally. Better fit and finish and much better paint job and a better design.

Just a marketing gimmick from Force. He has mentioned that in the review (first post itself).

Drive Safe,
350Z
Hmm, I missed it reading, as the pic below that heading was so good that I have not focused on the heading there[:)]

Excellent Review IR.
When I saw pictures on FB page of TAI, I kind of liked the exterior.
But as soon as I went ahead on browsing & come to pictures of Analog meter, no power window, I kind of thought, Can Indian brands go beyond muscles & also think of comforts/gadgets?
At least digital meter should be standard.

I complained about lack of exhaustive review of Gurkha anywhere on net or magazines, here I get one. Very well written review @Ironrock. When I first saw Gurkha I was so hooked on to it and was on my wishlist and then it faded away. But you brought back the craze into me again. If only Force offers a variant without a snorkel and with metal bumpers like previous version, I would plan to get it someday(for my daily drive [drive]).

Thread Starter #29

Excellent review Iron Rock.
Very good attention to details - err.. talking about your review and not the car.

This Gurkha is looking much better then the Thar externally. Better fit and finish and much better paint job and a better design.
Thank you sir [:)]

Excellent Review IR.
When I saw pictures on FB page of TAI, I kind of liked the exterior.
But as soon as I went ahead on browsing & come to pictures of Analog meter, no power window, I kind of thought, Can Indian brands go beyond muscles & also think of comforts/gadgets?
At least digital meter should be standard.
vBeat this is a very different offering compared to conventional vehicles - i see very few people buying this as their first vehicle.

I complained about lack of exhaustive review of Gurkha anywhere on net or magazines, here I get one. Very well written review @Ironrock. When I first saw Gurkha I was so hooked on to it and was on my wishlist and then it faded away. But you brought back the craze into me again. If only Force offers a variant without a snorkel and with metal bumpers like previous version, I would plan to get it someday(for my daily drive [drive]).
Thank you sir, metal bumper i understand and to be honest it will be a very easy swap going back to rectangular lamp and that old black grill, but why would you not want the snorkel ?

Excellent detailed review IR,GURKHA ,Only a word i can say "RESPECT"

Top Bottom