New Fiat Punto Evo - Is it Coming?

As per the reports, the engines will continue to be the same. Also i feel coming up with a turbo in 1.2L heart wont be wise. The Petrol heart of Punto has just a decent fuel economy, and with a turbocharger, it will definitely get lowered down which Fiat india would never want to do especially in India where the petrol prices are increasing every now and then.

Turbocharging does not decrease the fuel efficiency of engine. Turbocharger uses the heat energy of engine exhaust to run a compressor which in turn compresses air and sent it to engine intake for increasing volumetric efficiency. Main purpose of turbocharger is to produce more power without increasing engine capacity. However in some cases turbocharger is added to increase FE without increasing power.

For FE figures, let us compare Fiat 1.4 FIRE & 1.4 Turbocharge FIRE (for Linea & T-jet respectively):

Claimed FE of N.A. 1.4 FIRE = 14.2 kmpl
Claimed FE of 1.4 Tjet = 14.6 kmpl.

So turbochargeing is not synonymous with decrease in FE.

However, I do believe that Fiat will not introduce 1.2 Turbocharged FIRE. It was just a wishful thinking.

Sorry for going OT.

I am seriously hoping that Fiat will soon launch Punto Evo in India. It will give Fiat India will get an opportunity to resurrect themselves and undo the past mistake made during launch of Punto.

Fiat should also portray Punto Evo as all new car to loose some baggage of present Punto : specially issues of poor interior plastic quality. Also it should be backed by a media campaign that highlights USP of Punto. Fiat should understand that in a utterly FE & cost conscious market like India, Punto will never be a mass market product. It is a premium product and should be portrayed like one. Rather than aiming for Maruti/Hyundai success story, Fiat should aim at VW Polo. Punto's USP such as beautiful exterior & interior, powerful engine along with its features and dynamics should be amply highlighted in the campaign.

I feel initial marketing promotion of Punto was very confusing and without any clear cut strategy to highlight its USP. In the initial slow moving ad featuring Yuvraj Singh, Punto was never made the star it could have been.

Now with Punto going steady at around 1000 mark, Fiat could borrow a trick from Maruti Suzuki's strategy with WagonR. When WagonR was struggling during 2004-05, MSIL started a new ad campaign for WagonR. They highlighted that WagonR is a kind of niche product and used by special people with special taste. (remember the ad: "He argues sharply at courtroom, plays Jazz and drives WagonR).

Fiat too can portray that Punto Evo is not a run of the mill product and meant for special people with special preference. People who are

1.Extravagant,
2.Possess out of the box thinking,
3.Drives car for pleasure and
4.Prefers heart over head.

And why he should drive Fiat Punto Evo: because it is:

1. Very very beautiful
2. Modern with state of art interior.
3. Possesses most powerful diesel engine & very powerful petrol engine in the segment.
4. Best ride & handling.
5. Smart choice as it offers best service interval with extended warranty backed by roadside support.

IMO only the powerful engines of Punto (90 HP MJD & FIRE) should be highlighted to project Punto Evo as a high end product. Present 1.2 Fire engine has portrayed Punto as a sluggish car and nobody seemed interested in capable 1.4 FIRE engine. (As per ACI data, in gear acceleration of 1.4 engine is pretty good and at par with competition such as Polo & Swift.) It is easier to go down the scale rather than going up. People smitten by Punto Evo's charm may opt for 1.2 but those annoyed with sluggishness of Punto 1.2 may not even give 1.4 a second thought.

Claimed FE of N.A. 1.4 FIRE = 14.2 kmpl
Claimed FE of 1.4 Tjet = 14.6 kmpl.
it is not due to turbo it has gotten additional fe but tweaks in engine and mapping in ecu.
when it comes for power there are no free lunch . a turbo will demand more fuel consumption when rev hard.

i prefer older punto with mini mesarati looks. but the interiors of new evo is as much alluring.
let us hope for the best.

I would love to see the new Evo , but imo even if they come out with minor interior mods without any exterior change, it will be fine since the current gen punto still looks fresh.

Last edited:
it is not due to turbo it has gotten additional fe but tweaks in engine and mapping in ecu.
when it comes for power there are no free lunch . a turbo will demand more fuel consumption when rev hard.
A turbocharger not necessarily decreases FE. That's what we learned in Mech. Engg. If one selects right turbo as per energy available at engine exhaust, it won't decrease FE. I have given example and right inference is not being drawn here:

My point is : Turbo will increase power and if tuned/selected properly, FE won't decrease at all.

As for free lunch, fact which is overlooked here is that turbo increases volumetric efficiency of the engine. Thats why power increases.

I rest my case here. We are going overly OT.

I would love to see Punto evo here with slight exterior modifications and good premium rich interiors. Current engine options would just do the job , they are adequately powered and FE too.

Evo is available in Europe for more than a year now. They should not change the exteriors of current punto in India instead should change the interiors only. IMO, whether Palio or Punto, the original design has been the best and any face lift of exteriors has only deteriorated the looks.
hope fiat do this..

Evo is available in Europe for more than a year now. They should not change the exteriors of current punto in India instead should change the interiors only. IMO, whether Palio or Punto, the original design has been the best and any face lift of exteriors has only deteriorated the looks.
hope fiat do this..
+1. I too think that they shouldnot touch the looks. It really looks great right now, except for the wheel archs which can be moulded per Bravo.

Interiors, yes there is lots of scope for improvement.

Whats cooking at Fiat-India

For a last few days, price list in Fiat India is not opening and shows following message:

'The Prices are currently under updation. Inconvenience caused is regretted'.

Off late rumors of Punto facelift was floating around with 2 possibilities:

1. Launch of Punto Evo as being discussed here.

2. Beigified Punto with Linea interiors.

Now is the price revision somehow related to facelift. In that case option 1 can be ruled out. Evo can not be launched at such short notice without extensive testing. Nobody has caught Evo undergoing testing in India. As for option 2, it might be a distinct possibility.

However, in line with price revision of Honda City, Fiat may also cut price of Linea and this could alone be the reason.

Whatever may be the reason, not displaying price list for more than 3-4 days shows lethargic attitude of marketing people.

Disappointed. No cook at Fiat- atleast in my view. Price list is running again and no change observed

2012 Punto at frankfurt motor show 2011

Attachments

Top Bottom