New Fiat Linea Classic Arrives: The Low-Cost Version of Linea

there no such difference price between 14 inche n 15 inche wheels hardly few hundred rupees not more [anger]
Buddy this is an attempt to convert a VFM car in to budget car .Few hundreds would be saved on tyres too, few hundreds would be saved on fuel too.And we all know how Iimportant it is to mention the ARAI FE figures of 20 + kmpl when the automaker is eyeing on the budget buyers. Thus overall , thousands are saved.

More the diameter of the wheel , width of rim needs to be proportional to it. With reduction of rim diameter , logically width also needs to be reduced , this in turn ensures a fitment of tyre with lesser width .Lesser is width of tyre lesser is rolling resistance hence better FE despite the 75bhp engine fitted on 1200+ kg car.
So overall effect is , FE is maintained and similar when compared with FE of 90 hp Linea despite same weight.
If a classic's owner decides to fit a 15 \16 inch rim and tyres he would face a definite reduction in FE unless he goes for 15 /16 inch rim(say 4.5 -5 inches /tyres(165 -175 mm wide) with lesser width but then the handling would go Amby way.
Fiat has deliberately avoided this , else It would have been entertaining to watch how two low sellers(Linea and Amby) fight with each other in taxi market.
So FIAT official rightly said while replying TSIvipul that the car is for both taxi and private buyer.

BTW, reduction in wheel diameter by an inch would reduce the GC by 10 to 12 mm atleast .GC of 174 mm approx is adequate for Indian roads IMO.

Fiat has really shot itself in the foot,now for laymen Linea is gonna be 6 lakh car.Imagine Fiat selling the facelift for 9 lakhs? That's gonna be a nightmare to sell.Maybe some enthusiasts may give in but for the public the bigger engine won't make a difference.I can only wish they succeed somehow.
Regards,
Aneesh.

Last edited:
Just an interesting thought. Toyota is taking efforts to make Etios feel premium by adding features. On the other hand, Fiat is downgrading Linea by deleting features.
Two different companies, adapting completely oppossite strategies; in the same segment.

Note: when I say same segment, I am comparing Linea MJD Classic with Etios GD. Before launch of classic variant, Linea was a step higher than Etios.

Before launch of classic variant, Linea was a step higher than Etios.
Despite classic ' s entry, Linea is still a step ahead of Etios. Linea produces 197 nm of Torque while Etios produces 160 nm. Correct me if the figures are wrong.
Also Etios needs to improve GC. And yes premium features is a welcome move, as they have done better in taxi segment already , they now need to attract individual buyers.

Just an interesting thought. Toyota is taking efforts to make Etios feel premium by adding features. On the other hand, Fiat is downgrading Linea by deleting features.
Two different companies, adapting completely oppossite strategies; in the same segment.

Note: when I say same segment, I am comparing Linea MJD Classic with Etios GD. Before launch of classic variant, Linea was a step higher than Etios.
Well... Toyota may not like to get too much linked with TAXI class. So for them to get away from that class is to increase the price of the product and make it attractive inside so that personal buys can come to showrooms. However the central console and speedo is so badly designed that the moment you look at it, it gives cheap feeling and down the market.

On the other hand I see FIAT in the news for new classic variant. However I am not sure what are they doing to fix the shortage of spares. There is FIAT & Hyundai service center next to my office. FIAT has very big parking area while Hyundai has very little one. We see Hyundai cars coming in the morning for servicing and by evening taken away by owners. In FIAT service center we see around 40-50 cars parked in the garage all the time! The owners deliver cars for servicing and then keep calling service centers to check when they can get back their car!
I always wonder if FIAT is serious of doing business in INDIA. The shortage of spares is not a new issue. Its there since FIAT Uno, Siena were launched and why even after 12 years it is not fixed? They have the same issue. Superb cars are ruined by the bad strategy and lack of interest.

I always wonder if FIAT is serious of doing business in INDIA. The shortage of spares is not a new issue. Its there since FIAT Uno, Siena were launched and why even after 12 years it is not fixed? They have the same issue. Superb cars are ruined by the bad strategy and lack of interest.
I agree to you mate the spare was always an issue in past for FIAT. But the things are changing slowly in current scenario. At least in Bangalore, the parts I asked or few of my friends asked mostly available or they are made available by FASS within a Week time. Yes, FIAT is slow in reacting to its customers but they are aggressive now. If you are in FIAT Facebook page, they are responding to issues through that too. As FIAT india head told during the classic launch, whatever happened in past they cannot do much, they are looking for now and future in INDIA. So, give fiat a chance for 1 more year and hope for the best.

Despite classic ' s entry, Linea is still a step ahead of Etios. Linea produces 197 nm of Torque while Etios produces 160 nm. Correct me if the figures are wrong.
Also Etios needs to improve GC. And yes premium features is a welcome move, as they have done better in taxi segment already , they now need to attract individual buyers.
Hi Tornado, your figure for about Linea is correct. However Toyota mentions 170 Nm of torque for Etios. Also kerb weight for Etios is 1020 Kgs (VD version) & Linea Classic is 1210 kgs. This converts into torque to weight ratio of 166 Nm/tonne for Etios; which is higher than 162 Nm/tonne of Linea Classic.
But afterall, this is just a theory. I guess, need to take TD of Linea Classic to judge if it's a step ahead of Etios in performance.

I have seen Etios interiors week ago. I was out to book a car for my friend and I visited almost all the car showrooms near my house. (Pune-Bavdhan area has showrooms of almost all car manufactures on Pune-Mumbai road).
They have definately done a good job in improving interiors, along with many cost cutting have been fixed now. Ex: Head rest has been now provided. I also saw wodden finish touches have been given to Etios. However the central console (speedo meter and Ac vents one about other) remains same. The plastic quality is still same.

I have seen Etios interiors week ago.

However the central console (speedo meter and Ac vents one about other) remains same. The plastic quality is still same.
Central Console is one of the biggest drawbacks of Etios and Liva. I don't understand why those those car designers from Toyota haven't rectified it although there was bad feedback on that. It immediately reflects the cabs such as Vista.

Back in 2012, I ruled out Etios just because it has central console. [lol]

Top Bottom