New Delhi To Saharanpur – Route Query

Thread Starter #1

350Z

Core Team
I am planning a quick trip to Saharanpur (U.P) by road. Can someone suggest the best route in terms of:

> Road Condition

> Lesser Travel Time

From my own experience, I have found that the area around Muzzafarnagar is not very safe so I would love to avoid it. I plan to start off early in the morning. Thanks.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Hello buddy,first of all get one thing straight:Near Saharanpur you are not going to get good roads.

First of all:-
Road condition:From Delhi-Meerut Byepass the road is just okay,neither its good nor its bad.Its a typical 100 kph road.
From Meerut-Muzaffarnagar the road is in excellent condition and this is where you can enjoy Fiesta at its best.I'd recommend you to enjoy the dynamics of Fiesta on the wide curves of Khatauli byepass at high speeds.
From Muzaffarnagar-Saharanpur:Simply pathetic,but still quite driveable.

Since you are planning to start off early then I' recommend you to take this route(with time):-
Leave Delhi at 3-3:30 am and you will reach Meerut before 5.
Now press on gas and the distance between Meerut to Muzaffarnagar can be easily covered within 35-40 minutes and at about 5:40-5:50 you can reach Muzaffarnagar byepass.
At this time there will be daylight to help you on the dual carriageway,now keep on spedign upto the traffic builds up and you can reach Manglaur within next 35-40 minutes and this way at about 7(I have added some extra time) you will be on the upper Ganga canal in Maglaur.
Cross the bridge and turn left on the canal road and drive quite carefully and slowly(strictly not above 60-70),this road will take you to Roorkee and from there you can turn right on the first bridge on the canal itself and now move just straight on this road following sign boards and you will reach Chhutmalpur in no time,from there turn right and move on,you will soon reach Saharanpur.
By this way you will reach there at about 8-9 am.

Now if by chance you are late and reach Muzaffarnagar byepass at about 9-9:30 am then strictly avoid going towards Roorkee and at the end of Muzaffarnagar byepass towards Roorkee turn towards Saharanpur,this is a well laid dual carriageway and move on this road till Deoband.After that you will find the road towards Roorkee/Haridwar just before the Deoband police station turning towards right hand side.Take this road and drive till Manglaur.After that follow the same route.

Precautions:
  • Take care of cyclists and some nonsense roadways bus drivers who drive at 80 kph in the opposite lane at the end of Khatauli byepass.
  • Take care of farmers in tractors and bullock carts.
  • Take strict care of your speed on the dual carriageway,this is one of the most killer roads in our country.And if you go via Deoband then strictly don't go over 80-90 kph on the road towards Manglaur.This road looks good,well paved and remains empty but is dangerous at high speeds.
Rest
Drive Safe,
TSIVipul[;)]

Thread Starter #3

350Z

Core Team
Hello buddy, first of all get one thing straight:Near Saharanpur you are not going to get good roads.
Thanks, Vipul. I was expecting a helpful response from you. A few people have also suggested route via Panipat through NH. I think it will be too long. How about that?

Drive Safe,
350Z

Welcome sirji..[:)]

I was expecting a helpful response from you.
Any day,I am there to serve you people.

A few people have also suggested route via Panipat through NH. I think it will be too long. How about that?
Ask them to take the route themselves.
Its no use because you will again encounter the dual carriageway while returning to Saharanpur from Panipat.
You can safely follow the route mentioned by me.There is nothing called dangers in this area,its just having a bad name.
I have been doing full night drives on the same road and its good,only you need to be attentive.

The route via Ambala/Panipat is okay for we people for going towards Chandigarh etc,but in your case its just a brainless decision.

Thread Starter #5

350Z

Core Team
The route via Ambala/Panipat is okay for we people for going towards Chandigarh etc,but in your case its just a brainless decision.
That’s true. I would follow the discussed route as I think that’s the only option left. I’m more or less afraid about the poor roads though. Muzzafarnagar as a city is okay, but after experiencing a few incidents (Hit and Run), I realized that the hearsay wasn’t false either.

Drive Safe,
350Z

That’s true. I would follow the discussed route as I think that’s the only option left. I’m more or less afraid about the poor roads though. Muzzafarnagar as a city is okay, but after experiencing a few incidents (Hit and Run), I realized that the hearsay wasn’t false either.

Drive Safe,
350Z
The roads may be slightly poor but still are driveable.
I think you was on the upper-ganga canal road while you experienced this 'hit and run' case.
On that road it was quite common some time back that some badmaash gangs etc used to do loot and kill,maybe the car mentioned was also involved in any such incident where the occupants would have been killed and thrown into the canal and the car was looted.
BTW,UP 11 is the registration number of Saharanpur itself.

Rest,one or two such incidents does not mean that area is really bad.Now you can travel on the NH-58 for whole night without any issues.

I am planning a quick trip to Saharanpur (U.P) by road. Can someone suggest the best route in terms of:

> Road Condition

> Lesser Travel Time

From my own experience, I have found that the area around Muzzafarnagar is not very safe so I would love to avoid it. I plan to start off early in the morning. Thanks.

Drive Safe,
350Z
Hi 350Z,

+1 to Vipul he described everything so beautifully, i also suggest you Delhi-Meerut-Muzaffarnagar-Deoband-Saharanpur route this is best suited route from you, roads from Meerut onwards are awesome, from Muzafarnagar to Saharanpur (60Km) road is dual carriageway and you will find many potholes filled stretches in this route but overall manageable, keep your eye on cyclist and bikes on this particular stretch and drive calmly. Route is safe and beautiful start early from Delhi around 5AM and you can easily cover this route in 4-5 hrs or even lesser depending upon your drive and traffic condition

Wish you best of luck for your drive.

^^
Thanks for approval buddy.
But my route suggestion is slightly different,its:-
  • Meerut-Muzaffarnagar-Manglaur-Roorkee-Saharanpur,in case Muzaffarnagar byepass is crossed before 6:30.
  • Meerut-Muzaffarnagar-Deoband-Manglaur-Roorkee-Saharanpur,in case Muzaffarnagar byepass is crossed after 7.Because after this time the traffic builds up and crossing the places like barla,purkazi etc becomes a headache.

Muzaffarnagar-Saharanpur road is not advisable because after you cross Deoband,this road slowly turns into an off-roading track.

^^ you are correct Vipul road conditions via Roorkee is much better, 350Z i also suggest you to take this Meerut-Muzaffarnagar-Manglaur-Roorkee-Saharanpur route through this route you can surely manage to cover this trip faster because you will be on National Highway (NH) mostly rather than State Highway (SH), i had done this route on my last Oct'2011 Mussoorie trip and found road condition in much better state, you may find half n hour long traffic jam near Saharanpur.

Check below my Mussoorie log, on my return journey i took above route:

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...80-hyundai-i10-mussoorie-trip-oct-2011-a.html

Thread Starter #10

350Z

Core Team
Thanks for the prompt help. A few parts of this route are somewhat familiar to me. I sure will keep those suggestions in mind.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #11

350Z

Core Team
I'm planning to execute this trip now as I couldn't do it in 2012. So anyone traveled on Muzzafarnagar – Saharanpur route lately? How's the road and traffic condition?

Meerut-Muzaffarnagar-Deoband-Manglaur-Roorkee-Saharanpur,in case Muzaffarnagar byepass is crossed after 7.Because after this time the traffic builds up and crossing the places like barla,purkazi etc becomes a headache.
I will start around 5:00 AM or so. Assuming that I arrive at Muzzafarnagar by 8:00 AM - Is it a sensible decision to directly head on towards Manglaur (Skipping Deoband)?

.....the canal itself and now move just straight on this road following sign boards and you will reach Chhutmalpur in no time
Any specific reason for travelling via Chhutmalpur when I can cover the same route through NH73 from Roorkee?

[MAP]Roorkee To Saharanpur[/MAP]

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #12

350Z

Core Team
I’m back from the trip. This is the route that I followed: New Delhi – Ghaziabad – Meerut – Muzzafarnagar – Roorkee – Saharanpur. A few related notes:

> Started at 5:30 AM from Delhi and reached 10:30 AM at Saharanpur

> I driven non-stop (Total 238 Kms) and there was no major traffic jam whatsoever.

> The NH58 road condition is brilliant. Driving on Meerut & Muzzafarnagar bypass was absolute fun (Though beware, there are sudden crossings).

> Contrarily, NH73 (Roorkee – Saharanpur) is a road filled with large potholes. The authorities are working to make it better but for the time being, be cautious.

> Needless to mention, driving sense doesn’t exist in UP at all, be it bus drivers or cyclists. A useful safety tip for Indian driving – Always expect the unexpected.

> The best part is that I didn't had to stop anywhere to ask for directions. Thanks to the Garmin Nuvi 40LM which accompanied me throughout the trip.

> Took a quick pit stop at ‘Cheetal Restaurant’ on way back. The food quality and service levels are good enough. Those travelling from DLI – SRE can halt at Haldiram's.

> Fiesta again proved its mettle on all kinds of terrain. The drive is well-planted on high speeds. Plus, FE was reasonable too. Just Rs.2,500 of Petrol served entire trip (To & fro).

ford-fiesta-saharanpur.jpg

Drive Safe,
350Z

What is the current road condition between Muzaffarnagar to Saharanpur? Is the Deoband-Saharanpur route safe and OK or is it still a off-road track?

Thread Starter #14

350Z

Core Team
What is the current road condition between Muzaffarnagar to Saharanpur? Is the Deoband-Saharanpur route safe and OK or is it still a off-road track?
Welcome aboard to The Automotive India. Deoband – Saharanpur route is best avoided. Not that Roorkee – Saharanpur route is a breeze. It’s filled with a chunk of potholes too but when I travelled in April, the road construction work was going on. I still don’t expect major progress being U.P but at least it has a manageable condition.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Have I read Meerut?[:D]
See buddy, for going to Saharanpur take this route if you cross Muzaffarnagar before 8 am:
Meerut - Muzaffarnagar - Roorkee - Saharanpur. After Muzaffarnagar, kindly don't expect good roads.

If you are doing it in day time then take this route:
Meerut - Muzaffarnagar - Deoband - Manglaur - Roorkee(take the upper Ganga canal route till Roorkee) and finally Saharanpur.

Last edited:

Top Bottom