New Car Under Rs.3 Lac – Alto 800 or Nano LX? Suggestions Invited.

new car between 2 to 3 lakhs(+/- 30,000)

• Total voters
Re: New Car Under Rs.3 Lac – Alto 800 or Nano LX? Suggestions Invited.

Do you have any solid proof of your claims or the issues you mentioned are something which you are assuming ? Extremely curious to know .
Dear Raja,

If you see Nano from close look up from rear, its rear bumber is so skinny and almost from there only its engine starts so this won't require any further proof to say the position of its engine is prone to accident.

Secondly, sit on rear seat of nano in the burning temperature of Delhi or Chennai for an hour in summer, I will assure you to feel heat there because its rearly mounted engine.

I don't think either of these facts needs a proof, you can experience this yourself also just go ahead and feel it.

Regards

My Vote goes for - Maruti Alto 800.
Because - Its a proven machine from many decades. New gen alto is far better, you can even opt for Alto K10. You can get CNG kit fitted from dealer. I think this will cost you @ 4 L
Alto Lxi comes with factory fitted CNG, so its safe. costs @3+

IMO Nano is very small car as compared to Alto. Interior space might be more, but while driving also you will get a feeling of small Car. No offence to Nano owners its my personal opinion.

Thread Starter #33
i got more information and observations for this car. here it is to be noted that its my pure observation of what i saw in the stockyard.it may not be true or in accordance with the company official information.
1-alto 800 cng top model will cost you aprrox. 3.75 OTR mumbai(info from a dealer in mumbai)

2-if my info is correct then it will have 3 petrol and 3 cng varients and each will be like std,LX and LXI.if we assume it to be true then lxi is the top most version in each fuel option,and i have observed that cng lxi version does not have an airbag option.(even though its a top end model)

3-but petrol lxi model has an airbag.
4-when i asked the dealer about it he said even he is not sure but may be its like one more version of option pack which will come with an airbag in cng mode.(then price will be much more than wht i have mentioned above.)

5-cng top end (lxi-not option pack) has silver lining on the steering but the whole dash board and steering wheel itself are in black color.
6-petrol top model (lxi) has beige color of dash and steering wheel and it has an airbag.

7-any of the doors dont open 90 degrees like wagon r.its i think 70 or 80 degree.
8-i did not find any speakers or provision of speakers in cng top model lxi.

9- and last but not the least is rear windows dont roll down completely,again i think its 1/10 th part remains up approx.

It seems CNG is what you are looking for then look no further than Alto 800. My take on your options are as follows:

Alto 800 - Since CNG options your priority. However, not my favorite here.

Nano LX - Better Fuel efficiency, fab warranty, cheaper spares, space, fab AC, adequate power. If you ask me, I will go for Nano LX. I am 5'11", and space is my priority.

Eon - Very capable product. However, spare parts are priced high.

Thread Starter #35

It seems CNG is what you are looking for then look no further than Alto 800. My take on your options are as follows:

Alto 800 - Since CNG options your priority. However, not my favorite here.

Nano LX - Better Fuel efficiency, fab warranty, cheaper spares, space, fab AC, adequate power. If you ask me, I will go for Nano LX. I am 5'11", and space is my priority.

Eon - Very capable product. However, spare parts are priced high.
yes you are right but dont you think even if i go for nano or eon (petrol models not cng) then i will have to think and concentrate on fuel expenses rather than driving pleasure[confused].

yes you are right but dont you think even if i go for nano or eon (petrol models not cng) then i will have to think and concentrate on fuel expenses rather than driving pleasure[confused].
See it will depend on how much Kms you will be traveling everyday or month or year our member allhyundai is expert in this maybe he can guide you .
Cng fittment from maruti is the best and if you finally decide cng car I would only suggest you maruti car .
Nano comes in the equation only if its petrol car your looking , it will give you good mileage , amazing ac , and great space in its class .

Thread Starter #37

See it will depend on how much Kms you will be traveling everyday or month or year our member allhyundai is expert in this maybe he can guide you .
Cng fittment from maruti is the best and if you finally decide cng car I would only suggest you maruti car .
Nano comes in the equation only if its petrol car your looking , it will give you good mileage , amazing ac , and great space in its class .
yes although i did not like the exterior look of the car but i think i will go for it as most of the time i will only be driving and occasionally with family.and even i dont know abt the monthly travelling of the car.i mean right now i can not say any particular figure.but on the other hand i am thinking that if top end OTR is 3.75 then why not wagon r lxi cng at 4.50 (after 35000 discount)[confused]

I have voted for alto 800. I had an 800 for over 10 years and the car never failed me. it returned good FE and the driving was not-so-tough even without the PS. the only down point is the low seat position.
the alto 800 comes from a long trusted brand and supported by a wonderful service network and cost-effective spare parts.

@raja Yes I had seen pictures, to me it is not so impressive compare to eon, and the car is made on older alto chasis itself which does not make it a Brand new alto.
Wgon R is a much better car.

Thread Starter #41
this is to inform you that the new alto 800 is available for a test drive for the reporters and auto experts i believe because in last 2 days i am finding the reviews on the web.can we expect a detailed report from our very own moderators?
chk these links
1) Maruti Alto 800 Review Performance Specifications Price | MotorBeam - Indian Car Bike News & Reviews

2)New Maruti Alto 800 : First Drive [w/updated images] Page - 1| ZigWheels.com

3) http://www.bsmotoring.com/news/maruti-alto-800-test-drivereview/5771/1

Last edited:
Hi Parag,

I have a better understanding about Nano as My In law has it, about Alto its a famous brand & I dnt need to elobrate, Eon looks decent but as everyone says its slightly above Maruti pricing. But If I were you I would have choosen Nano, its peppy, comfortable, spacious, powerful AC & it goes on, Except for few flaws like the engine sound & stuff as such. But I was shocked to see the design of Alto 800 !! I would suggest Alto k10 was a much better car compared to Alto 800, I was not at all convinced with the new design (My opinion no hard feelings to anyone) but EON is a safe bet if you are ready to spent a little extra on your drive. Plus point about NANO is they have come up with engine advancement & new vibrant colors. Please keep us posted about your drive.

Drive Safe
Santosh

Just to give you an example: Tata Nano's engine is on such an vulnerable position which is so much prone to accidental damage. Probably a good strong bike like Bullet can damage the engine from backside and there is no protection for it. Heat at back seat is another issue in Tata Nano and there are many other issue.

Nano has chessy behind the engine. Its completely safe.

First of all you decide whether you want a car for driving in city? Some highway trips are ok. Like i am doing vadodara to Mumbai but there are no issue to find fuel bunk. If you will drive in such area, then you will never think about fuel tank capacity as shibu has said.

so, first of all think that if you want car for city driving or highway driving.
in <3 lacks , no car will have good highway characteristics.

and just test drive all three, after that go with what your heart says.[glasses]

Nano has chessy behind the engine. Its completely safe.
How cheesy behind the engine can be safe, Sir? It's position may have some advantages to keep it nano in size however its position is always vulnerable to get it hit from back. Nano is a good car for few considerations but new Alto 800 is ways ahead.

since i have never rode a Nano please clear my doubts
1. does nano have power brakes? (both front and rear are drum brakes, but whether power assisted or not i am not sure)
2. since there is no PS is it easy to drive?
3. can we place any bag in the rear space?

Top Bottom