New Car Pre-Delivery Inspection – An Exhaustive Guide

Welcome Imran, somehow I did see the post now. I am sure you must have gotten the car by now, but just to answer the pending questions.

1.Can I test drive the car allotted to me before registration (during PDI).
My dealer seem to be hesitant about it when I asked about it last time
during the above mentioned PDI.
It generally depends on dealer to dealer. Some dealer allow you to test drive the car and some don't. But if you try hard you might be able to squeeze out a smallish test drive to check the car in running.

2. What if the car gets damaged after PDI and Registration but before
delivery. What provision would be available to me then? Also advise if
there is any way we can get PDI checklist (for the status of the car
during PDI) duly signed by the dealer/SE and keep that as proof of the
inspected condition of the car before delivery which should match during
delivery?
IF the car is damaged before delivery, it is dealers responsibility to handle it. As you have not taken the delivery yet. It will depend on the type of impact and damage to warrant a change of vehicle altogether. You can get the PDI signed which is any way done by the dealer technical staff.

Expecting all experts to contribute their bits.

Request to MOD : In case this is not the appropriate place for this post kindly move it and I would browse the forum to get better understanding for future posts.

Thank you,

Regards,
Imran

Just a clarification: Is it safe to leave the new car at dealer's stockyard after the TEMP registration?

1.Can I test drive the car allotted to me before registration (during PDI).
My dealer seem to be hesitant about it when I asked about it last time
during the above mentioned PDI.
Many won't give you a chance to do a test drive during PDI. But you can move the vehicle a bit forward and reverse it back as I also got only this much to do during my PDI

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #34

350Z

Core Team
Re: HeLLO

Just a clarification: Is it safe to leave the new car at dealer's stockyard after the TEMP registration?
Yes. But do remember that once the full payment has been made, liability of the dealer is over. Get it parked in a safe location in the stockyard and cover it if possible. Also take both the keys just to stay assured that the dealer will not use it to offer test drive to other customers.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Re: HeLLO

Yes. But do remember that once the full payment has been made, liability of the dealer is over. Get it parked in a safe location in the stockyard and cover it if possible. Also take both the keys just to stay assured that the dealer will not use it to offer test drive to other customers.

Drive Safe,
350Z
During this period who is responsible for damages? Dealer or We?

Thread Starter #36

350Z

Core Team
He should be responsible for any damages occurred due to their own fault or negligence in the dealership premises.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Hello All,

What should be the allowable cut off till we should not reject the car?

As I have posted here, I rejected the car since I observed paint issue (overpaint?).

I also observed a 1 mm X 1 mm scratch over the rear wheel, should that be also a rejection criteria?

Hello All,

What should be the allowable cut off till we should not reject the car?

As I have posted here, I rejected the car since I observed paint issue (overpaint?).

I also observed a 1 mm X 1 mm scratch over the rear wheel, should that be also a rejection criteria?
Small dents and scratches do happen while transporting cars from the factory to the respective dealers and the dealers promptly fix them prior to delivery. Though it does break the heart to accept a new car that has been touched up here and there on the day of delivery, it shouldn't really be a deal breaker provided there are no signs (visible or otherwise) of a major shunt. In your case, the defects mentioned are nothing very major and could be easily fixed by the dealer. However, in case the dealer could provide an alternative (as he is indeed doing), its always better to go for the better piece out of the two. The SA lied to you obviously because he wanted to move that particular piece. You did the correct thing by asking for another car. Do the PDI thoroughly and accept the car only if you are fully satisfied. Also, do not take anything orally. Ask the dealer to put down everything in writing on his letterhead, even if it be a small issue of repainting an almost invisible scratch on the first service. Better still, take delivery only after all issues, if any, detected by you are rectified. I would consider any one or more of the following issues as reason(s) enough to walk away from the car:

1. Strange noises/rattles/squeals from the body/engine/steering/clutch/brakes etc (may be an accident repaired car).
2. Alignment issues i.e. car pulling to one side (suspension/chassis problem).
3. Electrical problems (accessories not working).
4. Signs of major dent repair (accident damage).
5. Stance of the car seems improper (suspension damage/accident repair)
6. Improperly fitted body panels/inconsistent panel gaps/shutlines (accident damage).
7. High odometer reading (demo car being sold off as new one).
8. Missing pieces of body trim/improperly fitted body trim (accident repair).

Please check your car for all such issues. Take a PDI check list with you (available on another TAI thread). The dealer would always try to woo you into accepting a piece that is lying with him - don't get impressed by the goodies/freebies that he offers with the car and try to keep the 'new-car-buying-enthusiasm-syndrome' under control. Walk off straightaway if you feel suspicious. It's your hard earned money after all.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #41

350Z

Core Team
Excellent post. Very well said.

Also, do not take anything orally. Ask the dealer to put down everything in writing on his letterhead
Sometime ago while taking the delivery of my new car, I was discussing with dealer about warranty void issue if I install certain electrical accessories from outside. He answered that I can safely add them without affecting the warranty. I was surprised and asked him to give me a permission letter for the same on a company letter head. He immediately went to confirm with his boss and returned back to me with a sorry face that what he told was incorrect. So remember that even sales persons can be ignorant. Play safe while buying your new car.

Take a PDI check list with you (available on another TAI thread).
The Automotive India's PDI Checklist is attached with Post #8 of this thread.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thanks a lot Sam, that was very helpful and concise.

Yes, I did carry & fill the PDI checklist.

Today's update: We went to see the new car, this time there were no panel gap issues on door, bonnet etc. Also, I located 3 small scratches (about 0.5 mm each) but it was ok. But my wife pointed out that the front speaker (driver side) cover was not fitted correctly, on all other doors it was perfect but here it was bubbled.

When I asked SA if it could be fitted, he said that was difficult and cannot be rectified, when pressed harder, I got to know that the door had to be removed or some sort of major work required. I still tried to see if it was just some fitting problem but looking further seemed the plastic net size was perhaps more than the actual space that was the reason it had bubbled.

Other things noticed:
1) ODO reading (with H) was ok - 18Km
2) Front tyre threads were gone, rear and spare tyre threads intact
3) Tyres read 2311 Goodyear --> probably June 2011
4) Was surprised that VIN number sticker was not present on the window but from the data on TAI I was aware of better locations to look for it (on chassis near front passenger seat, boot) so no issues.

This time around I was ok with the car (even the speaker cover issue) but my wife objected and we left without taking test ride [frustration]

Hemant

Last edited:
Thanks a lot Sam, that was very helpful and concise.

Yes, I did carry & fill the PDI checklist.

Today's update: We went to see the new car, this time there were no panel gap issues on door, bonnet etc. Also, I located 3 small scratches (about 0.5 mm each) but it was ok. But my wife pointed out that the front speaker (driver side) cover was not fitted correctly, on all other doors it was perfect but here it was bubbled.

When I asked SA if it could be fitted, he said that was difficult and cannot be rectified, when pressed harder, I got to know that the door had to be removed or some sort of major work required. I still tried to see if it was just some fitting problem but looking further seemed the plastic net size was perhaps more than the actual space that was the reason it had bubbled.

Other things noticed:
1) ODO reading (with H) was ok - 18Km
2) Front tyre threads were gone, rear and spare tyre threads intact
3) Tyres read 2311 Goodyear --> probably June 2011

This time around I was ok with the car (even the speaker cover issue) but my wife objected and we left without taking test ride [frustration]

Hemant
On hindsight, I think you did the correct thing by listening to your wife. When it comes to buying cars, it helps to trust your gut feel. By walking away from a suspected lemon, you have nothing to lose, but in your enthusiasm to buy a new car, if you end up going for a car that turns out to be a lemon, you lose your money, your mental peace, and a lot of your time. You should also check the VIN number to confirm the date of manufacture of the car. Keep the progress posted on this thread.

Last edited:
On hindsight, I think you did the correct thing by listening to your wife. When it comes to buying cars, it helps to trust your gut feel. By walking away from a suspected lemon, you have nothing to lose, but in your enthusiasm to buy a new car, if you end up going for a car that turns out to be a lemon, you lose your money, your mental peace, and a lot of your time. You should also check the VIN number to confirm the date of manufacture of the car. Keep the progress posted on this thread.

Seven years back
iwas ignorant and didnt look for a PDI and result
that TML has fitted electric motorised headlights in my Base variant, and i just cannot adjust the headlights.

So this time i have done two rounds of general PDI and will be going again on saturday to do a detailed PDI with the checklist. I have obsreved few issues like a bit loose rear left tyre wheel arch, a deep scratch on left rear door roub rail of 1.5mm by 1mm, interiros has a bit of dust due to almost 8-9 months in stockyard.

so it is better to be pro active...

Sad to see two cars getting rejected back to back failing in PDI. But you did the right thing. So when will you be getting the next car now?

Top Bottom