New Car Failed in PDI. Now What?

Thread Starter #1
Hello friends
Well,one of my known persons had booked a Maruti Suzuki A-Star ZXi some days ago(I don't know how long it was),but yesterday when he got all his financial work etc etc done,he had contacted the dealership for the car(He had already paid 2.4 lacs to the dealership).
The dealer said yes the car is with us,you can come and check it out.

He asked me to accompany him for the PDI,but due to some urgent work I was unable to go,but gave him the PDI check list,the same which is here in this thread:-
PDI guide

So the guy reached the dealer and was told that the car has gone for washing.After about 15 minutes he called me up and said "Yaar,car is in front of me and looking simply perfect,the paperwork is being completed,now what should I do with the list you have provided".
I-Have a close and alert look and strictly follow the list,any long time it may take and also take your friend who has accompanied you and start inspecting the car,if you find anything wrong,then put a cross in the bracket in front else put a tick.

After about half hour came another call..
He(Quite disturbed):I am not bringing the car,the guys are saying that these are the problems with many new cars but the car has scratches,one small dent and the paint finishing is also not good,seems like a coat has been done at the place.
I:Have you received the car?I mean have you signed all the papers etc?
He:No,I haven't done it yet.
I:Any other faults you found?
He:Yaar,it looks like its a JUNE 2011 made car according to the way you explained me the VIN.
I:Okay,no problem.5-6 months is nothing,your warranty will be from today itself.Okay,rest all other boxes ticked right?
He:I have done the inspection for 35 minutes and now..let me count...there are 12 wrong marks.Also its odometer was showing exactly ZERO km reading.While the tyres look like they have covered hundreds of kms(THIS REALLY SHOCKED ME).
I:12 crosses for a brand new car PDI!!![frustration]
Leave the car,I'll myself inspect it tomorrow.Any problem,or I'll have to do it today only?
He:No,you can do it tomorrow or even next day,whenever you feel free,but I'll buy a car only if it passes this complete list.

One more call after 5 minutes..

He:Yaar,come to the dealer,they are saying that i'll have to take the car now,I have given them the DD and they are saying that the car is perfect,I am just getting panicked.As you said,I must look at the tyres,the serial number is not in order the last digits of serial number are 1,2,6,3 and the stepny(spare tyre)is also looking quite old,I mean it has some dust on it and its company is also different.

I WAS SHOCKED TO HEAR IT..
I:Leave the place,just leave,don't sign any documents.Just come home,get the DD cancelled before coming.
He:Okay,I'll get it done.

Well,now what I am thinking is,firstly I myself will do the PDI of the car again tomorrow(maybe they rectify many faults till then),but in case if the car fails in the PDI.Then what steps are to be taken?
Secondly,are there any chances of the car being tempered by the A.S.S. guys?Like we hear that they can change the spares etc with the owners who pay them money for that...are there any chances that this car was dented and repaired before.
And this zero km reading is something I have first seen/heard on any brand new car.

Last edited:
Re: Car failed in PDI,what to do now?

Hi
I would suggest you to take a another car. If first impression is not good then you will have the same feeling through out the car is with you . Hence ask for a replacement car .

All the best.

Re: Car failed in PDI,what to do now?

It seems like a TD car, which is being sold after turning back Odo reading. But what is surprising is that they have put the reading to 0, come-on a 'ZERO'. Which fool on earth will believe the car was made at dealer's place?

Any way do the PDI thoroughly, note down all the issues, minor and major, and discuss the same with the dealer. If you are not satisfied please do not take the delivery and cancel the booking. Go for other dealers, if this one gives you waste responses.

Any car will be tested in the factory .
0 in odo is fishy. Is your friend sure if that is odo or trip.?

Then , dent do happen when they store and handle cars without responsibility.

Stay away from that car.

always check the car before making further payment.

Are you buying a 2nd hand car with paint touch up?
Your friend with a pdi list which he got from you , is able to find a re spray , then imagine the quality of re spray. stay away.

Thread Starter #5
Well,talked to the guy again in detail,as in the afternoon I was quite busy so didn't heard him quite seriously,here is all what he had observed:
1):The repainting was on the rear bumper's left side.(Since the car is white,so he has observed very slight difference in the shades)
2):The dent was also just above the bumper and was really small.(Maybe the car had struck the gate/truck etc while loading or being moved)
3)Asked him again on the odo reading and he said.."Even I too know that Odo and trip reading are different,but both of them are ZERO in the car".It looks like odo is completely either changed or tempered.
ACTUALLY,I think there are a lot of buyers who feel that ZERO means the car is really unused by anyone and they are the first to drive it.They may feel good at seeing the ZERO.
As much I know,even if the car has covered 990 meters then also the odo will show ZERO only in the A-Star.
4):The best thing that the guy did(Actually I do it in my PDI checks)was that he checked the wheel arches inside(I mean by looking from down)and found some traces of mud and cow dung there(I am sure the cow dung cannot come from anywhere,especially when the dealer has the yard in the dealership itself(the stockyard is in the basement)).And he hasn't told it to the guys,so they can't clean it.Also its really tough to clean that area too,any much smart the guys may be.

So,now will be going to check the car most probably day after tomorrow(or tomorrow evening,if free),then will be updating.Because I believe 100% only after I see myself.

Check the manufacturing date on tires and also ask frankly to dealer about dent and repainting.

First bad impressions would keep those doubts alive throughout the ownership, so I would recommend you ask for replacement car. Dung, dent, worn out tyres, exact Zero on ODO ... seems things are just not right.

Ask your friend to cancel the booking and go for another dealer...
I know it hurts when your waiting time increases to get new car but it's better to go for a good one for which you will feel good from inside.... rather than having a doubt always....

So many confusions in the initial check wont just do good.
Please go ahead and cancel the booking and find some other dealer. This is the best option. [:)]

AMG

Suspended
Cancel the booking when he has already paid 2.4 lakhs?

This is not wise in my opinion.

Tell the dealer we are not taking the car. Get a new one, or go to the court.(Most people get frightened at name of court)

Last edited by a moderator:
Also if you go do the PDI, try to capture photos and post it here so that other people can be cautioned about that dealer and his scams.

Tell him not to take delivery of the car or make any deal with them. Also demand back the money paid in full or else tell them this will be taken to court. Inform Maruti Suzuki about the issue at the same time.

Any updates on the PDI? I would suggest to stay away from this car for 2 reasons:

1. As per the description the car seems to be old.
2. If the person takes this car and any issues later after you give a "OK" word, you may feel the heat.

Are there any photos of the car?

OT: TAI's checklist is being useful to non members too.

Thread Starter #14
Well,no updates yet because first of all I had no time and when I am free,the friend has no time,so will be doing the PDI either today evening or tomorrow.
Rest had a 15 minutes long telephonic conversation with the manager and he said "Sir,just come and have a look at the car yourself,IT HAS NO DENTS,NO REPAINTING ETC ETC..."
So,now lets see what they have on offer,don't know,but I am feeling like we will get an another car this time.So my question is:-
We have the VIN of the car with us,so should we ask the dealer about the same car if another car is offered,or leave the spot happily if we get a new car?

Last edited:
Well,no updates yet because first of all I had no time and when I am free,the friend has no time,so will be doing the PDI either today evening or tomorrow.
Rest had a 15 minutes long telephonic conversation with the manager and he said "Sir,just come and have a look at the car yourself,IT HAS NO DENTS,NO REPAINTING ETC ETC..."
So,now lets see what they have on offer,don't know,but I am feeling like we will get an another car this time.So my question is:-
We have the VIN of the car with us,so should we ask the dealer about the same car if another car is offered,or leave the spot happily if we get a new car?
Forget VIN and get a new car and perform PDI. I mean to say, when dealer is ready to change the car without informing you, why you should make an issue and ask for old car ?

If satisfied, complete other formalities and take photographs to ensure that everything is in order.

All the best.

Top Bottom