New Bajaj Pulsar 200 NS Makes Official Debut

The 200cc engine is a complete departure from the old DTSi engines, so it wont be fair to compare the old gen Pulsar with the NS on issues like engine refinement in the long run and longevity. But one look at the technical specs confirms that it is a highly stressed engine (23.5 bhp from a 200cc engine and THREE spark plugs!!) and due to this the ELF (Engine Life Factor = 100,000 divided by compression ratio x max rpm) of the NS would be much lesser than, say the Karizma's (17 bhp from a 223 cc motor). Any engine that has been squeezed to within an inch of it's life in order to extract maximum performance out of it shall not last as long as a low revving, relaxed engine (Q. Why do we see 40 year old Bullets still merrily thumping along? A. 18 bhp @ 5625 rpm from a 350cc block). But let's see what modern technology with ultra close engine tolerances does for the NS.

Nice information.Its something never knew about ELF.

How many spark plugs does the KTM Duke use??Also since both these bikes share the same chassis then how come Pulsar NS weigh 145 kg (kerb) while Duke 135 kg(kerb)??Really surprising!!!!!

How many spark plugs does the KTM Duke use??Also since both these bikes share the same chassis then how come Pulsar NS weigh 145 kg (kerb) while Duke 135 kg(kerb)??Really surprising!!!!!
The Duke has a single plug DOHC head. It weighs less thanks to negligible bodywork and an aluminum frame.

P200NS has Perimeter frame while the Duke features Trellis frame.

P200NS has 37mm Front telescopic shocks while Duke has 43mm USD telescopic shocks.

P200 NS has 3 spark plugs while Duke has single.[lol]

P200NS has 12 liters tank while Duke has 10 liters one.

Some of the weight reduction factors in Duke are:

1) Light steel trellis frame
2) Ultra-light cast aluminium swingarm
3) Ultra-light WP rear suspension

Last edited:
@ Sam & @ merc

Thank you folks for the info.Now I understand that even though basics of both are same yet KTM Duke is that much more advanced(3 spark plugs not withstanding[;)]) thanks to its lighter frame, lighter swing arms and lighter fuel tank.So what you people think is it worth to buy Duke at extra 50,000 Rs or pulsar ns is better due to its would be VFM pricing?

what makes me hate pulsar is that loss of refinement and notchy gear changes after a period of time that is not experienced in R15 or unicorn
I admit it. That's what I meant to say. It loses its refinement after a period of time.

The 200cc engine is a complete departure from the old DTSi engines, so it wont be fair to compare the old gen Pulsar with the NS on issues like engine refinement in the long run and longevity. But one look at the technical specs confirms that it is a highly stressed engine (23.5 bhp from a 200cc engine and THREE spark plugs!!) and due to this the ELF (Engine Life Factor = 100,000 divided by compression ratio x max rpm) of the NS would be much lesser than, say the Karizma's (17 bhp from a 223 cc motor). Any engine that has been squeezed to within an inch of it's life in order to extract maximum performance out of it shall not last as long as a low revving, relaxed engine (Q. Why do we see 40 year old Bullets still merrily thumping along? A. 18 bhp @ 5625 rpm from a 350cc block). But let's see what modern technology with ultra close engine tolerances does for the NS.
Great info. They are extracting max. power from the engine. It's like carrying a heavy log with a donkey instead of elephant [lol].

@ Sam & @ merc

Thank you folks for the info.Now I understand that even though basics of both are same yet KTM Duke is that much more advanced(3 spark plugs not withstanding[;)]) thanks to its lighter frame, lighter swing arms and lighter fuel tank.So what you people think is it worth to buy Duke at extra 50,000 Rs or pulsar ns is better due to its would be VFM pricing?
I would surely suggest you a duke as pulsar would never reach near the austrian duke. I am sure you won't regret. If you are short in cash, go for the pulsar but make sure there's a good review on it.

So any info on the fuel efficiency of this 23bhp bike?

but why r15 doesn't loose refinement after long run which has a 17PS/8,500rpm from 150cc mill.

Last edited:
Love at first sight for me! okay it has good proportional looks anyway a N-bike always an [evil] one.

Sources say that it would give ~50kmpl

Triple spark plug,wow a good strategy.

Will be priced under a lakh thus making it VFM.

@ Sam & @ merc

Let the pricing be out first. I expect it to be between Rs 90,000 - Rs. 100,000. If it indeed turns out to be as such, I would anyday spend Rs 17000 extra and go for the Duke 200 (finesse is the word!). However, if the difference turns out to be Rs 50,000, it would always make sense to go for the NS, especially considering that the difference in usable power is negligible and the fact that the NS comes with a carburettor which, under Indian conditions, is a more practical and repairable technology than Fuel Injection.

Bajaj claims 58 kmpl at a steady 55kmph [clap]

but why r15 doesn't loose refinement after long run which has a 17PS/8,500rpm from 150cc mill.
Lots of technical reasons - engine metallurgy, combustion chamber design, 4 valve-head with optimized S/V ratio, expensive engine oil etc . Ever wondered why the R15 costs double than the price of the Pulsar 150? PM me if you want to know more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup, R15 has got carbon-fibre frame/chassis which makes it very nimble during cornering but also increases its price quite so much.

But guys has Pulsar NS got 4 valves or 2 valves per cylinder.I read its SOHC so the question?

Yup, R15 has got carbon-fibre frame/chassis
Are you sure!? I am pretty confident that it isn't as I know the prices of the carbon fibre base material & how it is fabricated.. whereas I have seen the R15, which is a metal frame.

I liked all of the design features of the NS, but the tank![;)] It's a definitive nut-cracker [lol]

Lots of technical reasons - engine metallurgy, combustion chamber design, 4 valve-head with optimized S/V ratio, expensive engine oil etc . Ever wondered why the R15 costs double than the price of the Pulsar 150? .

that's what i am trying to say why don't Bajaj do some R&D and make a good mill block for their bikes.

Are you sure!? I am pretty confident that it isn't as I know the prices of the carbon fibre base material & how it is fabricated.. whereas I have seen the R15, which is a metal frame.

I liked all of the design features of the NS, but the tank![;)] It's a definitive nut-cracker [lol]
That's what Yamaha dealer told me when I took the test ride of R15.

R15 doesn't have a carbon-fiber frame it has a metal frame made of Controlled Flow die-casting. I R 1 the frame is made of aluminum .

Top Bottom