New and First Bike Purchase

"under 1 lakh, other options are Karizma R & Pulsar 220."

are these good for 1000km 12 hr trip ?

can they take that kind of abuse ?
1000 KM in 12 hr?

I am not sure about the New karizma and P220. But the old Karizma is surely capable for long touring. The new one came with the same engine with the new tuning i didnt experienced.

If you didnt TDed Suzuki GS 150 R then you feel my next words are weird. Try GS, with its 6th gear and body weight and dynamics, it is built for highways. Its far too comfortable in relaxed riding at 80-100 km range. Top speed may get only 120 km/hr maximum.

Thread Starter #47
150cc engine touching 120 ?

and i was thinking I should be looking at over 200 something

how is the maintenance and mileage with the 150 gsr segment

I own one Suzuki GS 150 R from 2010 May and it reaching 5 years this may. Odo is now 74500 km. apart from normal oil change the items whihc i changed are,

1. cone set (changed at 60K KM)
2. Brake pad & shoes (2 set)
3. Chain & spocket ( stock changed at 50500 km.)
4. tires (stock changed at 50500, though it may run another 5K km more, i changed it due to the rainy season came at that time.
5. 1 park light bulb fused.Not changed till now.
6. Stock Exide Battery i changed to Amaron (48 months warrenty )at the date of purchase as an offer from dealer. though it become weak(due to my less usuage these days) it still working.
7. Air filter(changed 3 time)needed replacement in 25-30 K km and if not it will start missing in speeds above 80 km/hr.
8. Done Engine decarbanisation at 50500 km on odo.

Apart from these i didnt faced any maintenance. I do change engine oil at every 2-2.5 k Km. Milage is between 42-45 km/l on my driving in the congested city traffic and highway(average speed of 70-90km/hr).

Last edited:
didn't like the 150 R price with the looks

also pickup and power not that great
If you are interested in 150 cc category try the new Hero Xtreme but if you are more concerned about the 200 cc category then try the new Karizma R as well as the new ZMR. I Have test driven both the Hero Xtreme as well as the Hero Karizma R both back to back these have a lot of power when it is revved hard.

But if it is mostly going to be driven in the city then Hero Xtreme would be a better machine with upright seating position and with many features. If it is going to be 50:50 city and highway drive then go in for the Karizma but the new karizma is more sportier than the older model so you must almost lean a little forward to drive it with the new clip on handle bars which i found out to be uncomfortable (I was not able to sit in an upright position, which i was able to do it in the older model).

But then still the karizma gives you more comfort for long drives and for driving over the pot holes. And I particularly like the silent engine note of the new karizma's.

Thread Starter #51
which would be the best bike in 200cc category
as intially planned i want to drive bangalore-mumbai monthly
so looking for comfort as major factor here with power and speed

why dont you try Yamaha FZ its capable of doing 120 on highways plus its got a wonderful engine. mileage wise you can expect 40kmpl within the 80-100kmph range. or else for long touring i would say avenger is the best. though it would not do 100 comfortably there would be a lot of vibrations. i dont know these bikes which I'm going to suggest but in the used market you can get it around a lakh these bikes are R15 V2, Honda CBR 150R. i personally like HONDA CBR OVER YAMAHA R15 for pillion rider comfort. however HONDA CBR gives you back pain if you are not used to long rides in that position. also you can get RE's used at a budget within 1 Lac. if that's to your liking only then go for RE's otherwise you will not like it. if yes try RE THUNDERBIRD 500 which comes with a price range within a Lac as it doesn't have much resale value compared to classic.

so looking for comfort as major factor here with power and speed
If you need comfort as well as power then extend your budget and get a RE Classic 350 cc or RE Classic 500 cc or RE Thunderbird 350 cc. But when you need power, comfort, mileage then go in for the RE Classic 350 without any confusion or second thought. It is a superb bike with high speed stability, I was also in the same confusion like which 200 cc bike would i consider when it comes to comfort and mileage and i also didn't like the sports bike type then atlast decided to buy RE Classic 350 cc and i bought one.

Believe me it has the power when you need it and the comfort throughout your journey. And nowadays you will be getting a 2 years warranty on RE Bikes, which still makes it more beneficial for the RE customers.

Thread Starter #54
Mithra am looking for more of tourer plus city bike

i would only drive once on weekends and that too night times.
day time is a horror show for bangaloreans city driving

my 2000km up and down trips would be mostly bangalore - mumbai

so am looking for a very reliable, fast and crazy mean machine

Thread Starter #55
why dont you try Yamaha FZ its capable of doing 120 on highways plus its got a wonderful engine. mileage wise you can expect 40kmpl within the 80-100kmph range. or else for long touring i would say avenger is the best. though it would not do 100 comfortably there would be a lot of vibrations. i dont know these bikes which I'm going to suggest but in the used market you can get it around a lakh these bikes are R15 V2, Honda CBR 150R. i personally like HONDA CBR OVER YAMAHA R15 for pillion rider comfort. however HONDA CBR gives you back pain if you are not used to long rides in that position. also you can get RE's used at a budget within 1 Lac. if that's to your liking only then go for RE's otherwise you will not like it. if yes try RE THUNDERBIRD 500 which comes with a price range within a Lac as it doesn't have much resale value compared to classic.
honestly i don't like yamaha's pricing

1lakh on road for 150cc bike doesn't make sense
same for unicorn and gixer they are making bikes all closer to 1 lakh

consider RE buddy they are reliable as well as the capable of handling speed as well as the best tourer in india after HD.A Marginally used vehicle is easy to find in blore which would be within your budget.

Thread Starter #57
consider RE buddy they are reliable as well as the capable of handling speed as well as the best tourer in india after HD.A Marginally used vehicle is easy to find in blore which would be within your budget.
incarnation

the problem I see with bullets are first of all too heavy to pull in case something goes wrong.

plus I was speaking with my colleague and he mentions that you need to maintain it really good like it demands to be maintained

buddy i don't have time to maintain myself let alone the bike so thats why kind of negative on enfields.

Thread Starter #59
Yamaha Fazer would be the most suitable tourer type with great comfort on highways.
And very useful in the city too.

So go in for or try the Yamaha Fazer Fi version or the Yamaha Fazer without the Fi version.
again yamaha useless pricing for not that worthy products

pulsar rs 200 launching on india/aus semi final day so probably would go and check that

also suzuki launching some model on april 7th

whats the different between fuel injector engineers and carborator when it comes to bikes.

i know cars have had there fair share of advantages in terms of mileage and smoothness

example a fuel injected maruti would run smoother and give more mileage than carborator model

however i still see many launching new models with carborator engine

probably thats the reason NS 200 didn't appeal me in performance and ride quality due to the carborator engine

Top Bottom