New and First Bike Purchase

Yes, I found Honda showroom guys are really arrogant(my personal experience while buying DY), but bike built quality is excellent as I use it in very bad roads every day but there is no single rattling sound even after a year, where as there is a bajaj 100T bike in our office which 8 months old and rattles a lot. So far service experience with Honda ASS is good.

Hero is always good in showroom as well ASS(my splendor experience for 10 years), but these days they seems to be compromising on the product quality(the way I have seen a brand new splendor pro yesterday)

Hero is just a parts assembling company or whatever may be. since current hero bikes have Honda engine, I don't think there will be any quality issues as bikers know the sort of reliability that Honda engine offers world wide. hero bikes may or may not have quality issues when they produce new engines without Honda. the truth will come when the new engines hits the road.but the discussion here is about current trend.
Can you please tell me about Super splendor/ Glamour/ karizma engine, whether it is Honda or hero engine?I didnt see the same spec Honda engine here in India.
If you think you know the answer, then look behind the s splendors you see on road. i am sure 2 out of 5 S Splendour you see on road will emit white smoke and these will be initial batches.

you got it right. yes the turning is different. the bike pulls well in lower gears when compared to the Honda siblings. the shock absorbs are better than the Honda siblings
+1. I am sure passion X pro will be better than Hoda twister/D yuga/D neo and also old passion, though i didn't ride it till now.

I'm not saying that xxxxx bike engines aren't reliable. we are just trying help the thread starter. There is no need to start a brand war. engine used in splendour, karizma(all Honda engines) has proved their reliability over long period of time.
I started my career as a Honda 2 wheeler sales executive here in cochin. At that time most of the common people here were suspecting Honda quality/reliability on unicorn( because that is first time they were seeing a Mono shock). We were struggling to sell unicorn at that time.I was sure it had good quality. But now a days these people going behind hero/ honda bikes blindly and telling about their quality and reliablity.

I have no experience with karizma till now, but that is the one i am looking to buy currently. The first bike i bought/ride from Show room was Splendor on 2001.This is what i used to travel to college at that time(Black one with blue sticker). i loved this bike. My close friend (who also my neighbour too) had a blue CBZ at that time. Since we were in different college, we were exchange our rides at that time. though i love splendor (cast iron engine performance will reduce once it get hotter in day time, mostly in city traffic) when we do a long trip, i usually take my cousin brother's crux r. It was way better performer than Splendour.
I started to ride on tvs Suzuki bikes (Samurai, Shogun & Fiero) enjoyed teenage on HH & yamaha bikes (Splendour, crux r owned by my family. CBZ,passion,Rx 135 & Enticer owned by my friends). used many Honda bikes as part of my work. Bought yamaha (gladiator) first with my own money and replaced it with a suzuki (GS150R) and also owns a Honda Dio too. What i want to tell you are, though i used these bikes, i am not a fan of any company/brand and not here to bash any particular brand.

again hero may be a photo shop company or assembling company or stickering company. glamour
fi. stress the point Fuel injection. the smoothness and mileage of a fuel injected bike is not matched by carburetor.
I had used my friend's Glamour Fi which had a weak battery, so the fuel pump will not work properly when key switched on and engine malfunction light will be on. I didn't felt any increased smoothness compared to carb glamour.

Again, i'm not agreeing on this point. the maintenance of a 5 year honda engine cost you lesser than any bike. for your information, i got my cbz in 2009 three months back i did the 46,000km service. before that in the year may 2012, i got the good life scheme. the bill cost was 3700. since I got the good year scheme, there was a reduction of 850 rupees. a service cost of 2850 rupess for 4 year bike with 48,000 is like a piece of cake. plus they returned the worn parts that have been changed.
I didnt understand this. can you please elaborate. My Gs150 r (2010 may) crossed 58.5K Km now. the only spare parts changed till now are
1. oil filter at every 6-8 K KM - rs.35
2.front disc brake pad 2 times - Around rs.250
3.Rear brake shoe once.
4. Air filter 2 times- Rs.270
5. Chain & Sprocket, front & rear tire @ 50.5 K KM
6. Engine oil every 2 k km - Rs.250+/- Rs.10

Major maintenance at 51 K KM- Engine decarbonisation and valve setting- rs.1200
when I choose a bike, i look into the following things:

1. reliability.
2. good after sales and service.
3. country wide sales and service network.
4. comfortable to ride.
5. less maintenance.

Honda engines and hero service, ticks all the boxes.
me too, in fact all people look at these things while buy a new bike. But these days Hero, Honda, Bajaj service centers flooded with Bikes and it is really difficult to get good service from them. service cost also increased hugely. that is the one reason why i selected Yamaha & Suzuki. I stopped going to same Honda ASS where i worked, for servicing My Dio after the huge bills and bad quality service i got (even after i know them).

Last edited:
I didnt understand this. can you please elaborate. My Gs150 r (2010 may) crossed 58.5K Km now. the only spare parts changed till now are
3.Rear brake shoe once.

Major maintenance at 51 K KM- Engine decarbonisation and valve setting- rs.1200

disclaimer: my aim is not to compare two bikes or any manufacturer or the engine reliability or cost of the service. as you know every one rides the bike different and usage is different and the nature of driving is different

we have 3 glamours in our family. the bikes are awesome in one word.

the engines used in splendour, karizma are made by honda. I have read somewhere the engine used in karizma is same as honda crf 230 with 29 bhp and it's detuned by hero. but the engines are sourced from honda. hero does some turning only. starting from 2000 to current, splendors are reliable.

Last edited:
my service break down:
1. front disc pads: 1100: 200 reduction
2. front full cowl and head lamp housing with reflectors : 2200:500 reduction
3. rear brake shoes:180: 40 reduction
4. engine oil and filter: 320:110 reduction
Why hero & Honda charging 5 times higher rates than other manufactures for this front disc pads. One of my friend told it is Rs.800 for Unicorn front disc pad. I heard it is Rs.1400 for Karizma brake pads. Even it is non asbestos material then too, the rates looks huge.
For my suzuki, when i replaced it first time it was Rs.160 and after one year (2 months before) it is Rs.270.
For yamaha gladiator it was Rs.130 for the KBx brake pads with YGP package and outside with the KBx package it was rs.110 3 years before. Interesting thing was, Gladiator YGP rear brake shoe coasted Rs.400 (Non asbestos One) in ASS and outside it was Rs.90 3 years before.

disclaimer: my aim is not to compare two bikes or any manufacturer or the engine reliability or cost of the service. as you know every one rides the bike different and usage is different and the nature of driving is different

we have 3 glamours in our family. the bikes are awesome in one word.
i think, when you tell somebody that one bike or brand is good/ better/ good quality one, at least you should know what the competitor offers.

the engines used in splendour, karizma are made by honda. I have read somewhere the engine used in karizma is same as honda crf 230 with 29 bhp and it's detuned by hero. but the engines are sourced from honda. hero does some turning only. starting from 2000 to current, splendors are reliable.
Sometimes Wikipedia itself will not help much[evil]. I dont want to change your belief [frustration]

3.Rear brake shoe once.
==========================================================
I'm an owner of suzuki gs150r with registration tn 22 ac 1256 serviced at jain suzuki chennai.

my service is:

First 45,000 Kms, I gave it servicing every 2,000 Kms. Usual consumables like Engine Oil, Air Filter, Spark Plug, Brake Pads were changed. Chain Sprocket lasts 25,000 KMS. Front Brake pads lasts 20,000 KMS. The rear brake pad has been replaced thrice so far. I replaced Clutch Wire twice. am i being cheated ? expert help me. what is the normal kms range for a brake shoe change? brake pad change? chain sprocket change?

I'm not an expert. I have used so many bikes.

1. front brake pads: not more than 20,000.
2. rear brake shoe: not more than 18,000.
3. spark plug: not more than 25,000.
4. chain sprockets: less than 20,000.

i think, when you tell somebody that one bike or brand is good/ better/ good quality one, at least you should know what the competitor offers.

I haven't compared companies or brands. if i tell a xxx bike is not good as yyyyy bike it doesn't matter. whatever may be the individual opinions about a bike or a brand, at the end of the sale statistics, customer preference, reliability ratio speaks for the product.

Sometimes Wikipedia itself will not help much[evil]. I dont want to change your opnion.

Here are the specs for CRF230F
---------------------------------------
Engine Type air-cooled, 4-stroke, single
Displacement 223cc
Compression Ratio 9.0:1
Bore and Stroke 65.5mm x 66.2mm
Valve Train SOHC; two-valve
Ignition System CDI
--------------------------------------
Karizma specs
Type 4-stroke, single cylinder, air-cooled
Valvetrain 2 valves, OHC
Displacement 223 cc
Bore x Stroke 65.5mm x 66.2mm
Comp Ratio 9.0:1
the engines looks same and even have the same bore stroke, so they are definitely same. Karizma's only 1st gear is the same as CRF's. All other ratios are different. 6th gear of CRF and 5th of Karizma is almost equal.Plus the engine is detuned, maybe for low end or mileage.

I'm not in the world when the crf 230 was produced. i didn't know about the bikes when the karizma was launched in 2003. from my view, knowledge is something that you get from someone or from a source or from your experience.

Last edited:

I'm an owner of suzuki gs150r with registration tn 22 ac 1256 serviced at jain suzuki chennai.

my service is:

First 45,000 Kms, I gave it servicing every 2,000 Kms. Usual consumables like Engine Oil, Air Filter, Spark Plug, Brake Pads were changed. Chain Sprocket lasts 25,000 KMS. Front Brake pads lasts 20,000 KMS. The rear brake pad has been replaced thrice so far. I replaced Clutch Wire twice. am i being cheated ? expert help me. what is the normal kms range for a brake shoe change? brake pad change? chain sprocket change?

Except chain & sprocket all seems normal. Is it the SA told you to change chain & sprocket? My SA also told me that it needs to be changed at 25 K Km, while my 22k KM service. Chain was absolutely ok at that time. I told them i'll come if any problem comes. I have only 3 services done at ASS after that. Every time they will give the bike, chain over tightened and i'll tell them to loose it.

My use is mostly in NH, single ride. May be that gave me 50.5 k + chain life.

Hi, I will suggest you to go for Mahindra Centuro. Very Comfortable, low maintenance, mileage 70kmpl in the city and 80+ on the highway. Centuro bike with technology seen only SUVs till now. The bike comes with anti theft central locking system and an engine immobiliser. The key is a remote 96 bit encrypted flip key similar to the one seen on a car. Superb Bike !!!

hey friends,

kindly suggest good bike considering following :-

1. comfort
2. maintenance
3.mileage

i'll be using same for around 1000kms month
driving area - mostly bangalore east

purchase this month

Hi, I will suggest you to go for Mahindra Centuro. Very Comfortable, low maintenance, mileage 70kmpl in the city and 80+ on the highway. Centuro bike with technology seen only SUVs till now. The bike comes with anti theft central locking system and an engine immobiliser. The key is a remote 96 bit encrypted flip key similar to the one seen on a car. Superb Bike !!!
Nitinsuri32@

Did you own Mahindra Centuro?
At what speed you are riding this bike in Highway to get 80+Kmpl?
Can you plaese describe how you manage o get 70KMPL in city traffic?
The technology( anti theft central locking) you talking is more than 10 years old. It was fixed in my bike as additional accessory before 8 years. But it is the first time it come as factory fitted.

when i buy a bike, more than these acceesories and gimmiks, i'll go for a tried tested one.I am telling these from My experiance.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #42
Guys,

looking for a good bike with following options :-

1. good resale
2. good runner within Bangalore and outer as well(i plan on mumbai trips every month)
3. should be a sports bike

budget between 50k to around 1lakh

your suggestions are valuable

specially my kannadiga's since ASS matters for the product in the end

ok just test drove 200 NS

engine not smooth
handling not that smooth
didn't feel like driving a 200cc 24 bhp bike

Last edited by a moderator:
Threeace 777 @

So you need a sports bike below 1 lakh which you use for long trip once in a month and need to use in the city other days!

There is not a sports bike under 1 lakh budget. If you looking for a performance oriented bike, then better you extend the budget and check out bikes like Karizma ZMR,CBR 150,Yamaha R 15,Duke 200 etc.

under 1 lakh, other options are Karizma R & Pulsar 220.

If you interested in Criuser bike in your budget, look out Avenger.

Pulsar 200 NS you already done. current P180 will be replaced soon and the other option Apache 180 i dont suggest for long rides.

Other options are coming in 150 cc segment.

If the Suzuki ASS is good there, GS 150 r is best in the segment especially for long rides or else lookout new unicorn 160.

FZ series and Gixxer is good in city but not meant for highway.

Thread Starter #44
"under 1 lakh, other options are Karizma R & Pulsar 220."

are these good for 1000km 12 hr trip ?

can they take that kind of abuse ?

If you are looking for a comfortable 125cc bike then Shine is better to go. But check out other options too. Your height body built and purpose and offcourse budget is the major factor to choose from the wide range.

I would not suggest to go from any Bajaj bike but still you may try Pulsar 135 LS. Few other options are

- TVS Phoenix
- Honda Stunner
- Hero Ignitor

Talking about seating ergonomics Stunner/Ignitor are better then the rest due to its flat and wide seat for both. Although styling of these bike is little different. Suspension is better than any other in this segment.

Comparing ride and performance Stunner/Ignitor is better. Due to its different styling in this segment it not be accepted by the senior aged crowed.

TVS Phoenix, is really a good performance bike, I wonder why TVS hasn't put effort to market this bike much.

If you are OK with STUNNER?IGNITOR styling go for it. Else TD Phoenix.

Top Bottom