New and First Bike Purchase

how much mileage difference do i expect between honda and hero honda.
Zero.
personally i have observed hero honda's can't take it and gives up in pressure.
I have never observed it. Where have you observed it?
how are disc breaks better than drum breaks
They are better as they may just save your life someday.
also how are bikes engine tuned these days
are they all computerised tuned or still manual
Still manual in case of all motorcycles in your budget range. How does it matter, though?

Last edited:
Thread Starter #17
Zero.

I have never observed it. Where have you observed it?

They are better as they may just save your life someday.

Still manual in case of all motorcycles in your budget range. How does it matter, though?
seen hero honda's budget bikes giving up in 2 - 3 years tops

anything to safe life someday i'll go with the disc ones

well as per expierence i don't find mechanics comfortable enough to tune engines to perfection.
a computerised still does better job

^^ Yes. i have seen lot of 100 CC HH bikes( Most of them are less than 5 years old) emitting white smoke.But it is not there in HH's 150 cc or above category. Although i have seen many new model unicorns emitting white smoke.

Disc brakes are always better.

Though Tuning has been doing manually, In ASS, i had seen machines to check the emission. As per them this machine will be used to check the carbon monoxide/dioxide output while tuning.

Thread Starter #20
Shine/DY would be small for you, better you look at something like Unicorn buddy for comfort and power to pull.
do i compromise on mileage if I go for unicorn ?
I checked and found listed mileage as 60
i understand with unicorn i can atleast pull a pillion with me

with shine and dy thats not an option at all

^^In Indian road and traffic conditions anything more than 50kmpl is good without compromising on the comfort part and Unicorn doesn't disappoint you and gives you good comfort with a pillion rider pulls effortless

We have about 5 hero bikes in our family, and oldest one is about 15 year old cd dawn
Bike have covered more than 2 laks k.m (after 90,000 km speedo meter stopped working but we know) and still start with 1 kick. Although it feels like 50 cc scooty now. but just wonder about its performance guys. That's oldest vichle in my family.

2. is Hero honda splender it is also about 12 years old and still can easily go upto 80+ today also.

So its trust for us in hero honda that we have 5 bikes today..
As per mileage considered, a bike can't give good mileage with 80+ speed, drive within 40-60 range and you will get very good mileage, all our bikes give mileage within 60- 70 kmph.

Thread Starter #23
We have about 5 hero bikes in our family, and oldest one is about 15 year old cd dawn
Bike have covered more than 2 laks k.m (after 90,000 km speedo meter stopped working but we know) and still start with 1 kick. Although it feels like 50 cc scooty now. but just wonder about its performance guys. That's oldest vichle in my family.

2. is Hero honda splender it is also about 12 years old and still can easily go upto 80+ today also.

So its trust for us in hero honda that we have 5 bikes today..
As per mileage considered, a bike can't give good mileage with 80+ speed, drive within 40-60 range and you will get very good mileage, all our bikes give mileage within 60- 70 kmph.
right but all your bikes mentioned might have been purchase long time back as mentioned 12 yrs or so
the quality which came last decade can't be compared with current scenario
most of them have degraded in quality and therefore give up easy

the quality which came last decade can't be compared with current scenario
most of them have degraded in quality and therefore give up easy
+1000. Agreed , my dad had his Hero CD100 for almost 10 years which was running successfully without any issues , even without any visible rust. But , nowadays I can see almost on all bikes , the signs of rust even within 3 months of purchase and also the number of times to ASC have also increased much[frustration]. I would be happy if all the manufacturers come with same reliability as like before rather than increasing the unwanted features which we even wont use it.

Pick Unicorn[:D] (comfort + power + reliability) you wont complain.

Last edited:
I don't think there will be any quality issues in Hero bikes as hero hasn't started producing their own engines.

100cc segment: Hero splendour pro, passion i smart( new passion i guess), dream yuga. dream yuga has weaker lower end toruque when compared to splendour.

125cc: glamour Fi, stunner,ignitor,

150cc: CBZ xtreme and honda unicorn. both are reliable. CBZ xtreme is better in comfort and also cbz has a good top end when compared to unicorn. my 2009 cbz has down 48,000kms. it still gives me 42-45 in city and above 50 in highways under careful riding.

I reject the point that honda and hero bike engines are aren't reliable. All these engines are tried and tested. if you want a purely mileage based bikes, try the HF dawn and new Cd deluxe. you will never complain about mileage.

Hero is way ahead of any manufacture(Honda included) when it comes to after sales and service. Get the 5 year scheme and you will have piece of mind.

I don't think there will be any quality issues in Hero bikes as hero hasn't started producing their own engines.
I didn't understand the point- How Quality issues associated with their own engine making or not. In that way if hero started to make their on engine by next year will have quality issues. right? Whatever the case they are getting parts from vendors and assembling at their plant.

Initial batches of TVS Victor bikes(was designed by Indian company with the help of AVL australia) were good ones and way better in milage and power at that times. but they lacked that quality after some year.

100cc segment: Hero splendour pro, passion i smart( new passion i guess), dream yuga. dream yuga has weaker lower end toruque when compared to splendour.
new Passion is known as Passion Xpro. It is the same as dream yuga/twister/D neo engine from honda may be with a different tuning.
125cc: glamour Fi, stunner,ignitor,
Glamour Fi has priced around 150cc segment bikes and not a good seller. Not worth a buy. specially i don't suggest this as a first bike. Stunner is good bike and ignitor, a photocopy from Hero.

150cc: CBZ xtreme and honda unicorn. both are reliable. CBZ xtreme is better in comfort and also cbz has a good top end when compared to unicorn. my 2009 cbz has down 48,000kms. it still gives me 42-45 in city and above 50 in highways under careful riding.
+1 . Unicorn has better mileage. But Extreme is really VFM bike.

I reject the point that honda and hero bike engines are aren't reliable. All these engines are tried and tested. if you want a purely mileage based bikes, try the HF dawn and new Cd deluxe. you will never complain about mileage.
Then what about Yamaha, Suzuki & Bajaj? their bikes are not tried and tested? As per my experience, 98-2000 model Splendor has way better quality than the current model.

Hero is way ahead of any manufacture(Honda included) when it comes to after sales and service. Get the 5 year scheme and you will have piece of mind.
For this you have to get all periodic service from Hero ASS till 5 year i think . This itself cost a big money when calculating service & spare charges.

Last edited:
I think the following relates to this thread discussion

Yesterday I drove new splendor pro of my in law and found that its console is made very cheap, the plastics, dials everything if I compare it with my year 2000 splendor(I sold it). Only impressive thing with the bike is its suspension its really very good then my Honda dream yuga

Hero Honda shocks were always better than other bikes. I still remember the pss pss sound came from the old splendor/passion rear shocks.
Quality really reduced on the Engine. check with any hero 100 cc bikes (2008-12 models) covered 50K KM.

I didn't understand the point- How Quality issues associated with their own engine making or not. In that way if hero started to make their on engine by next year will have quality issues. right? Whatever the case they are getting parts from vendors and assembling at their plant.

Hero is just a parts assembling company or whatever may be. since current hero bikes have Honda engine, I don't think there will be any quality issues as bikers know the sort of reliability that Honda engine offers world wide. hero bikes may or may not have quality issues when they produce new engines without Honda. the truth will come when the new engines hits the road.but the discussion here is about current trend.

new Passion is known as Passion Xpro. It is the same as dream yuga/twister/D neo engine from honda may be with a different tuning
you got it right. yes the turning is different. the bike pulls well in lower gears when compared to the Honda siblings. the shock absorbs are better than the Honda siblings

Then what about Yamaha, Suzuki & Bajaj? their bikes are not tried and tested? As per my experience, 98-2000 model Splendor has way better quality than the current model.

I'm not saying that xxxxx bike engines aren't reliable. we are just trying help the thread starter. There is no need to start a brand war. engine used in splendour, karizma(all Honda engines) has proved their reliability over long period of time.

Glamour Fi has priced around 150cc segment bikes and not a good seller. Not worth a buy. specially i don't suggest this as a first bike. Stunner is good bike and ignitor, a photocopy from Hero.

again hero may be a photo shop company or assembling company or stickering company. glamour
fi. stress the point Fuel injection. the smoothness and mileage of a fuel injected bike is not matched by carburetor.

For this you have to get all periodic service from Hero ASS till 5 year i think . This itself cost a big money when calculating service & spare charges.

Again, i'm not agreeing on this point. the maintenance of a 5 year honda engine cost you lesser than any bike. for your information, i got my cbz in 2009 three months back i did the 46,000km service. before that in the year may 2012, i got the good life scheme. the bill cost was 3700. since I got the good year scheme, there was a reduction of 850 rupees. a service cost of 2850 rupess for 4 year bike with 48,000 is like a piece of cake. plus they returned the worn parts that have been changed.

when I choose a bike, i look into the following things:

1. reliability.
2. good after sales and service.
3. country wide sales and service network.
4. comfortable to ride.
5. less maintenance.

Honda engines and hero service, ticks all the boxes.

Last edited:
I doubt in Honda's ASS as while purchasing bikes you can easily judge there dealers. So much ego, not customer friendly. This might be problem in ASS too.

As hero uses honda's engines but these engines were made 10 years ago i think, and there's hardly any change in 100 cc segment. so very well tasted and reliable. If you keep hero bikes well maintained they will surprise you with there reliability. All bajaj pulsers are very good for 1 or 2 years after that just hear their engine noise.

My PS is to go either with Hero or with honda. Both are good, just be double sure with honda's ASS as i'm really heart broken by honda's dealers ego here. By the way if there are bad peoples there should be good as well.

Last edited:

Top Bottom