New AC Bus this Time!

Hey Raj am a fan of you and your buses :). Did you ever thought of the AL rear engine Luxuria.

Did the AL guys talk about it to you?

Ownership Cost of an Intercity Bus?

I was reading a thread on intercity bus services and the increase of operators.
I was wondering about the increase of volvos,scanias,mercedes which are costly to maintain in the fleets.
Many say these are not serviced due to high costs and are run with bad maintenance.
My questions are.
1. What is the average buying cost of an ashok leyland/tata intercity bus compared to foreign ones.
2. Do foreign brands offer better comfort than indian brands?
3.What is the service cost of these buses?
4.How much profit one can make in a month.
5.Why operators buy foreign brands inspite of high costs, do they offer really better ride or is the competition spoiling the customers?

Thread Starter #98
Re: Ownership Cost of an Intercity Bus?

Many say these are not serviced due to high costs and are run with bad maintenance.
My questions are.
1. What is the average buying cost of an ashok leyland/tata intercity bus compared to foreign ones
A similar specced AL or a TATA AC bus with air suspension will cost somewhere between 30-40 Lacs.

An equivalent Volvo or Benz will cost upwards of 80 Lacs.

2. Do foreign brands offer better comfort than indian brands?
Yes and No.

The quality, fit & finish and NVH is better. The ride is the same if the Al/TATA buses are equipped with Air suspension.

Driver comfort is far better in Volvo though.
3.What is the service cost of these buses?
Spares of Benz and Volvo costs almost 3 times more.
4.How much profit one can make in a month.
Depends.

5.Why operators buy foreign brands inspite of high costs, do they offer really better ride or is the competition spoiling the customers?
  • Better brand image
  • Better turnout of customers
  • Mindset of public (against "Indian" buses) for long distances
Since the inter city bus operators charge a fixed amount per seat, their income is in most cases higher than an established tour operator who rents his buses for functions such a marriage, etc. Plus inter city buses run daily and has continuous business. Which is why he can afford expensive buses like Volvo.

It's a standard which has been set for inter-city buses and now everyone has to follow it.

Top Bottom