Need your valuable advice

Thread Starter #1
Hi!!!

I am planning to buy a car(Sedan Only) and my budget is 12 lakhs(OTR)

Usages :- Mostly in City(Average 300KM/Month) + 1/2 trip of 350 KM each in a month

Fuel Preference - Petrol OR Diesel ???

Priorities :-

1) Safety (As I meet with an nasty accident recently) - Airbags, ABS, etc
2) Driving Comfort & Passanger Comfort (Enough Leg Room) for 5 people
3) Performance & Sleek look
4) Fuel Economy & ASS Cost
5) MT & will prefer fully loaded version of the car

I hope all you learned guys will help me in choosing my new buy.

Thanking you in anticipation and looking forward to receiving your suggestion / recommendation

Cheers

Your usage is just about average, round about 30 kms a day. So you dont really need a diesel.

So in petrol, I would suggest, in that order -

1) Honda City 1.5 V - You can also opt for an automatic since it has paddle shifts & you get the convenience of an auto with the fun & economy of a manual.

2) Corolla Altis 1.8 J - Its a bigger car but only the base variant will fall in your budget & thats just too basic.

3) Fiat Linea T-Jet - Its as big as the City & is stylish too. Being a Fiat, quality levels & reliability wont be a match with the honda or toyota but being a turbo petrol, it will quench your thirst for performance.

But if i was in your place, considering the rise in petrol prices, I would opt for a diesel car. I would select the Chevy Cruze. It would overshoot the budget by quite some amount, but its a highly understated car. It has more class, more features, more style & even more performance than all the above cars & is easy on the pocket too.

If not for the Cruze, the Toyota Corolla Altis Diesel is available but its not for you as its a lousy performer!

honda city is the obvious choice.!!

when it comes to
Driving Comfort & Passanger Comfort (Enough Leg Room) for 5 people
Performance & Sleek look
Fuel Economy & ASS Cost
honda city have the drive tunnel flattened so that is the best car for rear seated 3 passengers. and steering is soft enough and drive quality is admirable.

@raj_5004:- did you left out volkswagon intentionally ? i believe that is also a good car if not with the huge drive tunnel.imo

Last edited:
My suggestion -
Fuel Preference - Petrol OR Diesel ???
You definetly don't need any diesel. For 300KM per month, Petrol should be the only option.

So considering petrol, options are
- Linea T-Jet
- Hinda City
- Vento

My choice would be
You will get these in all above cars.
Linea is more safer in these. I would keep City in last.

Vento and City are bit more specious than Linea.

Performance - T-Jet is better overall. City also is very close.
Looks are subjective, but Linea looks much better.
FE - City will give max FE, but for your run all 3 are good.
ASS cost - Cost wise, Linea will be cheapest to maintain. But quality of service wise, City will be best.
5) MT & will prefer fully loaded version of the car
Linea is much ahead if you try and compare the features.

Based on priority, choose either from City or Linea T-Jet.

3) Being a Fiat, quality levels & reliability wont be a match with the honda or toyota but being a turbo petrol, it will quench your thirst for performance.
Quality wise I agree, but Fiat's cars are equally reliable, if not more, than any other car in market.

rsm, again from your inputs it seems city is the obvious choice ,for the space ,FE and A.SS.

but it is true that exorbitant service charges for toyota and honda cannot be overlooked.
but feature wise and perfomance wise nothing comes near linea t-jet and spare costs and service charges are just cheap as much as tata cars.

Hi abhi2802,

Welcome to The Automotive India.

Looking at your needs, i feel Petrol car will suffice your needs. My suggestions for you are
Honda City
Fiat Linea TJET
VW Vento

All the above mentioned cars get these safety features.

I personally found Vento and Linea, a bit cramped for 6fters. Otherwise, both of them have good comfort levels.
However overall, Honda City is the best. The legroom as well as the headroom is good enough for 6fter too.

I find Linea TJET and Honda City, both good here. However I am more inclined towards Linea TJET.

No idea about the FE of Vento and LineaTJET. As for Honda City, you can expect the FE figures in the range of 17-18kmpl.I personally know a few people who claim to have driven 20kmpl!
ASS cost for LineaTJET and Honda City is reasonable and cant be termed pricey. However, the Honda spare parts are costlier that Fiat.

Overall i would suggest you to go for Linea TJET or a Honda City.

Honda city expect your criteria
safety.
fuel economy,
more number of honda service ! also easily available spares.

though linea is maintained by tata now , i hope honda city helps you much,

We have J. Ravi sir with his linea (petrol), you can count in his thread too!

Hello Abhi!

Welcome to The Automotive India.

For your usage Petrol Sedan is good choice.

I would suggest Honda City followed by Tjet.

If you can slighlty strech your Budget then go for Corolla or Civic.

Hello Abhi welcome to TAI. Like others said petrol is good enough for your running. The choices are Vento , City and Linea T-Jet.

1) Safety (As I meet with an nasty accident recently) - I find T-Jet the most safest of all the above with all wheel disc brakes and solid build quality , then comes the Vento and City is last due to its weak body panels.

2) Driving Comfort & Passanger Comfort (Enough Leg Room) for 5 people - City is the winner here followed by Vento and then finally Linea

3) Performance & Sleek look- All these cars perform almost equally good , looks are subjective i like all three cars!

4) Fuel Economy & ASS Cost- I think City is most FE. A.S.S i think Fiat's spares are cheaper than VW and Honda.

5) MT & will prefer fully loaded version of the car- You get many features in a fully loaded T-jet when compared to City and Vento.

Final choice is yours , i will prefer T-Jet as i find it VFM at that price. TD all the cars and pick the one which suits you the most. City is also equally good and a great performer but i find the interiors of ANHC a bit boring and plasticky! Vento is also really good with that german build quality.

But if you can increase your budget you can get a fully loaded Cruze which is a segment above all these cars overall!

Fuel Economy & ASS Cost- I think City is most FE. A.S.S i think Fiat's spares are cheaper than VW and Honda.
there is one interesting issue i would like to remind.

honda city shows better FE but generally 80-90 percent of honda owners upgrade the tires after purchase for better handling and for aesthetics. it should be noted honda city mileage could be due to the leaner stock tire.
and one would need to go for a lot of after market accessories too if considered feature wise.

where as linea t-jet plus comes fully loaded with features and got a huge 16" allow wheels with admirable tires ,great handelling and perfomance is guarenteed with almost near similar FE figures (14.8kmpl stated by arai) .

comparitively
to honda city and linea t-jet vento is not that great perfomer neither feature rich moreover the a.s.s is still questionable with the price of spares and availability.

honda city shows better FE but generally 80-90 percent of honda owners upgrade the tires after purchase for better handling and for aesthetics. it should be noted honda city mileage could be due to the leaner stock tire.

The ARAI FE of HC MT is 17.5kmpl and the drop in economy with a tire upgrade is normally 1-1.5kmpl, so i dont think it is justified to say that its FE is same as that of Linea TJET.

The ARAI FE of HC MT is 17.5kmpl and the drop in economy with a tire upgrade is normally 1-1.5kmpl, so i dont think it is justified to say that its FE is same as that of Linea TJET.
so after tire upgrade we can expect fe of 16.

but can we overlook other factors like build quality,perfomance,handelling, and additional mass for sure foot perfomance and that 207nm torque.

at least how much addtional cost we would need to get those 16 "alloys with 205/55 rubber on honda city at least for the looks?

It depends on the person actually! Lets wait for the thread starter to reply. Lets not forget some people still fear for Fiat's A.S.S!

Top Bottom