Need Urgent Help in DIY Engine Oil Change

Thread Starter #1
Dear Friends,

I am planning to change my engine oil and oil filter bu myself. I can get the Filter from the shop. But I am not sure about the Oil Grade.

Last time by mistake i bought 20w40[confused]. The mechanic said its ok to put 20w40 But he never mentioned the exact grade for the oil.

Shall i put 15w40 or 15w50. Please help me guys, i need to change before Yercaud trip.

Shall i flush the engine with engine flush oil? will it be helpfull for better performance & mileage?

Re: Need urgent help in DIY oil change

Buddy, you are missing 2 very important pieces of information here :
What car
Petrol or Diesel

freakdude.

Thread Starter #4

Master I bought it as pre-pre-owned car. I'm the third owner. How come you expect me to have the user Manual[confused].

Freakdude It is a Fiat Palio 1.2 EL PS 2002 . Petrol fitted with the LPG Kit.

I saw 20w50 for the LPG/CNG cars in castrol Site. The ODO is 47K.

I also required to know can i put any fuel additives to clean the engine?

Last edited:

Master I bought it as pre-pre-owned car. I'm the third owner. How come you expect me to have the user Manual[confused].

Freakdude It is a Fiat Palio 1.2 EL PS 2002 . Petrol fitted with the LPG Kit.

I saw 20w50 for the LPG/CNG cars in castrol Site. The ODO is 47K.

I also required to know can i put any fuel additives to clean the engine?
Hey buddy better visit a local mechanic.
As the old oil needs to be properly disposed in a barrel.
And not to drain it in gutter.
And oil should not be in contact with hands, so better visit a local mechanic and get it done.
Just a 15 min job.

Thread Starter #7

Hey buddy better visit a local mechanic.
As the old oil needs to be properly disposed in a barrel.
And not to drain it in gutter.
And oil should not be in contact with hands, so better visit a local mechanic and get it done.
Just a 15 min job.

I agree to that. But My dad will ask "What is the use of D.M.E & B.E ( Mechanical Engineering) & Sold High End Cars for almost 3 Years"[embarass]

It wil only costs me Rs.250 for the Oil change. But Lets give a try man.

Planning to a lot of DIY stuff for the future.[clap]

Visit a local mechanic and watch closely what he is doing. You can DIY next time of oil change. [thumbswink]

Visit a local mechanic and watch closely what he is doing. You can DIY next time of oil change. [thumbswink]
True
Plus ask him to flush the engine.
He will then use the liquid to drain all the impurities from the engine . Its like washing the engine from inside

for gas engines the oil grade is different
We put 10w40 in normal cars . Are you going to use Full synthetic or semi synthetic

15w40 is what we recommend for both petrol and diesel.

petrol engines means you van very well use 20w40 , cheaper and exact oil change after 5000kms is must.

for oil change , you need , oil wrench , spanner to open and close the drain cork , funnel - not needed if you are sure enough that you wont spill !!

Remove the oil filter after draining the oil.
using the oil filter wrench,
Fix new oil filter using the wrench. Do not over tighten the oil filter, else it will crush the filter inside and oil will leak.

Fix in the drain cork again , use red anabond near the thread after cleaning the thread, since its old car.

pour in the recommended quantity of the oil through the cap!

Thread Starter #12
ilango[speed thirst];96863 said:
15w40 is what we recommend for both petrol and diesel.

petrol engines means you van very well use 20w40 , cheaper and exact oil change after 5000kms is must.

for oil change , you need , oil wrench , spanner to open and close the drain cork , funnel - not needed if you are sure enough that you wont spill !!

Remove the oil filter after draining the oil.
using the oil filter wrench,
Fix new oil filter using the wrench. Do not over tighten the oil filter, else it will crush the filter inside and oil will leak.

Fix in the drain cork again , use red anabond near the thread after cleaning the thread, since its old car.

pour in the recommended quantity of the oil through the cap!

Ilango,

I got the tools & I know how to remove the Drian plug, Oil Filter. I think you guys mis understood my requirment.

I am actualy askin about the oil grade. not how to change oil.

Shall i use 15w40 or 20w50? this is my question.

When was the last time you flushed the Engine Oil?

Drive Safe,
350Z

Vibore, I never done the Engine flush since i took the ownership of this car.

My only worry is If i flesh the engine, will i get positive results or as somebody mentioned, will it harm the engine by cleaning the helpfull deposits?

@Italian Raider : If you havent ever gone for an engine flush then I would suggest against it. Since your car is 2002 model so it is 9 years. All this long, a lot of deposits settle at the rubber parts and actually act as wonderful sealants to old rubber seals. An engine flush would take this helping deposits and might loosen a few seals that would then need immediate replacements.

A more better approach would be to just change engine oil and use some engine oil additive like Nulon/Bardhal/STP etc. Choice is totally yours buddy. Do keep us posted of the progress.

freakdude.

Thread Starter #15
Dear Friends,

Please tell me which grade i need to use guys.

I'm narrowing down to Castrol GTX LPG/CNG 20W50 Grade Oil.

Is it a good choice?

Top Bottom