Need suggestions on Diesel Hatchback, Bought Punto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Starter #16
Thanks a lot Zinam for sharing this. Is it safe to assume that Punto's spares cost will fall more or less in the same bracket?

Yes Vroom!

I believe, if the cost of spares are low for sedan then you can surely trust that the hatchbacks will definitely cost much lower!

Thread Starter #18
Finally, some good news as far as Punto is concerned [:)].

My problem is just this: My dad wanted to buy a car, few years back and he had almost decided on the Palio. I guess I was in my knickers when this happened because I think if my memory serves right, Palio had just been launched then. I was all ga-ga them days about the Palio (considering that it was bigger than a M800). This never happened because we just kept getting transferred around in India and he never bought the Palio. But I think I am stuck with that same Fiat hangover till date [cheers].

i would also like you to look at the fabia. its a tad above your budget but comes with good quality & comfy interiors & also a good ride, which you need. but yes, its a bit overpriced.

my pick would be the punto. because in my case, my heart rules over my brains! i would ignore the poor A.S.S of the fiats/tatas & just buy the car because i know, no matter what, punto is a fabulous car.

but if you desire to be more practical, look at the marutis. if you are of the boy racer types, the swift is a better bet with its tight handling & sporty nature. else, the ritz wins easily & offers you everything you want in a car, except looks!

Thread Starter #20
Raj, I just checked prices for Fabia PD TDI (1.4 Diesel) and its 65 K more expensive than Punto. Honestly, its way over my budget. Moreover, I have heard its expensive to maintain a Skoda.

You are so right about heart ruling over brains and I had mentioned that earlier as well. That's where Punto is winning in my heart against the other 2 that I have mentioned.

Cheers,
Vroom

Yes you can also take a look at i20 & Fabia.

But I20 1.4 CRDI costs around 6.97 OTR Chennai.

And Fabia 1.4 PD TDI Active costs around 6.4 OTR Chennai.

If you are ready to lose power windows then Checz rules here!

Give a second thought & do test drive Fabia before taking Punto :-)

350Z

Core Team
I don't suggest you the Fabia because the matter is not only till buying a car.
The main part starts after the purchase. Skoda is popular for its wallet burning spares and service in India but theres no doubt this is the most upmarket hatch you can get after strecthing your budget a bit.

EDIT: Also, Even after stretching your budget you will get the base version of fabia where you can get the top end version of Punto at same!

And I agree with this statement of Raj...

my pick would be the punto. because in my case, my heart rules over my brains! i would ignore the poor A.S.S of the fiats/tatas & just buy the car because i know, no matter what, punto is a fabulous car.

350Z

Last edited:
Thread Starter #23
Zinam, 350Z:

Honestly, I am already stretching my budget for now for 6L. Maximum that I can spend will be 6L and not a dime more cause I just don't have that spend. If I have to go above this, I guess I will have to wait till early next year and forget buying something now.
That way I guess I can just about manage the base version of I20 Magna for 7.21 L on road Mumbai. But is a hatchback for such price worth a buy? [shock]

i20 is worth the price i feel. its got the looks, space & comfort. but the price you quoted, is it for the diesel? it makes no sense buying a i20 petrol, its terribly sluggish.

also, as vibhor (350Z) said, even i wont actually recommend a skoda as its A.S.S is worse than fiat/tata. not to forget the high price of spares & service costs.

right now, the best bet for you is punto.

even the vista is a very good car but somehow i feel its not very exciting, its for those who seeks more practicality.

Last edited:
I would definitely say no for I20, because its overpriced!

It might have 6 airbags, ABS, EURO NCAP 5* Rating & everything, But you can really get a Top End Diesel Sedan like Dzire, Fiesta & Even Linea [P].

So go ahead with your choice Punto! This car is really worth buying.

I will surely get the ownership & service feedbacks very soon.

Thread Starter #26
Yes Raj_5004, its for the base diesel version. When I spoke to one of the dealers, he mentioned that there is a 5 week waiting period as well on this car, not that I was intending to buy this.

Zinam, even I was thinking about the same thing, paying such dough for a hatchback is something I would not find very exciting. And Zinam, I will wait for the ownership and service feedbacks.

Amit, Vijay:

How much does an I20 Diesel cost? I am not sure if I can afford it, but if there is nothing else that I can buy for this price, may as well wait for a couple more months (say by November) and buy I20. However, to be honest, I think that price is too much for a hatchback.
Vroom

well i20 crdi mill is a superb engine hyundai came out with, lower end grunt is perfect to drive around city unlike getz's 1.5 crdi mill, but pricing is something many are not happy with hyundai, its base model Magna crdi comes with ABS and all wheels disc brakes as standard and gets around 6.9L/- on road.Check out with dealer if you think to stretch that much on budget.
The onroad prices in ahmedabad for i20 crdi are
Magna - 698084/-
Asta - 768344/-
Asta (o)-809199/-
sunroof

Thread Starter #28
Its 7.21 L for the Magna in Mumbai with Octroi. This is just too steep for me. If at all this has to be an option, like I mentioned earlier, I will have to push my plans to buy a car to next year.

350Z

Core Team
Vroom,
If you're already on a tight budget, Then its not advisable to stretch it more.
Just Test Drive the Punto & Ritz and decide between the two.

BTW, As this is your first car, I guess you will be driving for first, Or you are an already experienced driver?

350Z

Thread Starter #30
350Z, I would say experienced as a driver who knows to drive a car basically well. It's like the same as how I owned my first bike - I knew how to ride, but that experience of owning and riding (with knowing all the minute things) was missing. It's will be the same with this car as well.
I am not sure if I am going around in circles, but I hope you got what I am trying to say.
Howsoever good I was with bikes when I got my new bikes, I was still a novice when I got it. If it would not start, I wouldn't have a clue as to what needs to be done.
I can vouch that it will be the same with this new car as well.

Cheers,
vroom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom