Need Suggestion on Travel Plan: Bangalore -- Rameshwaram - Kanyakumari – Bangalore

Thread Starter #1
After almost a year we are planning for long road trip of 5 days covering Rameshwaram - Kanyakumari – Madurai and surrounding places in 3rd week of October. Below is the rough plan for our trip:
Day 1:
Start at morning 6:00 am from Bangalore and drive straight to Rameshwaram. Plan to reach Rameshwaram by evening. Planned stopovers: Breakfast at Dharmapuri and Lunch at Madurai (bypass area).
Can anyone suggest good veg hotels for breakfast and lunch?

Day 2:
Morning visit to Dhanushkodi. I am totally impressed by Ram sir’s travelogue, hence this is must visit place for me. We are planning to spend as much as time at this place.
Rest of the day: visit to temple, beach and Dr. Kalam’s House
I have one question, for visit to Dhanushkodi. I understand that we need to rely on local 4x4 vehicles to visit this place. Can we arrange hotel pick up of these vehicles? Or do we need to drive down to designated place and from there these vehicles are available? Any pointers on this front is greatly appreciated.
Apart from above listed places, is there any other interesting place to visit in Rameshwaram ?

Day 3:
Travel towards Kanyakumari and reach hotel by 12:00 noon. Rest of the day visit Vivekananda Memorial, Beach, Gandhi memorial, Temple, Sunset Point etc.
Any other interesting place to visit?

Day 4:
Checkout from Kanyakumari hotel after breakfast and visit following places: Vattakottai Fort, Padmanabhapuram Palace, Thirparappu Falls OR Manimuthar Waterfalls OR Agasthiyar Falls and reach Tirunelveli for dinner and stay.
Out of these three falls, which one is good for kids to enjoy in water?

Day 5:
Visit temple in Tirunelveli and head towards Madurai. Visit temples in Madurai and by night reach Bangalore.

Now about ride and driver and passengers [:)]

I am planning to take my Brio (Honda Brio Petrol). Currently it has done 10K with 3 long journeys (> 400kms) in past two years.
For journey total 4 adults and 2 kids will be there. Drive will be done by me and Brother in Law with spare driver as my better half (only on empty highways [;)]).

Any suggestions on above plan are highly welcome.

Re: Need Suggestion on Travel Plan: Bangalore -- Rameshwaram - Kanyakumari – Bangalor

I have done the same trip twice with the same engine that you have planned this trip on. Now since you are planning to leave by 6 in the morning, you will probably reach rameshwaram by 3-330 pm. That's how long I took.
We had stopped for breakfast at A2B (15 kms behind krishnagiri flyover) and the lunch was at rameshwaram. Only a 10 min tea break in between

Re: Need Suggestion on Travel Plan: Bangalore -- Rameshwaram - Kanyakumari – Bangalor

Day 2:
I have one question, for visit to Dhanushkodi. I understand that we need to rely on local 4x4 vehicles to visit this place. Can we arrange hotel pick up of these vehicles?
Heard some hotels offering such facility, but not sure about it.
Or do we need to drive down to designated place and from there these vehicles are available? Any pointers on this front is greatly appreciated.
Yes, we can drive for some 7-10kms from Rameshwaram and park our cars there and take some Jeep or Van to reach Dhanushkodi

I suggest you to follow the above, so that we can enjoy the drive on that road and stop whereever we want

Apart from above listed places, is there any other interesting place to visit in Rameshwaram ?
Ramar Padam is there behind lighthouse, you can check that one too.

Hope the TL will give some idea about Dhanushkodi[:)]: http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...m-vellore-round-trip-vista-vx.html#post319463

Even you can check with Asheesh, he done the same trip from Bangalore with his Nano

Last edited:

After almost a year we are planning for long road trip of 5 days covering Rameshwaram - Kanyakumari – Madurai and surrounding places in 3rd week of October. Below is the rough plan for our trip:
Day 1:
Start at morning 6:00 am from Bangalore and drive straight to Rameshwaram. Plan to reach Rameshwaram by evening. Planned stopovers: Breakfast at Dharmapuri and Lunch at Madurai (bypass area).

Day 2:
Morning visit to Dhanushkodi. I am totally impressed by Ram sir’s travelogue, hence this is must visit place for me. We are planning to spend as much as time at this place.
I have one question, for visit to Dhanushkodi. I understand that we need to rely on

local 4x4 vehicles to visit this place. Can we arrange hotel pick up of these vehicles? Or do we need to drive down to designated place and from there these vehicles are available? Any pointers on this front is greatly appreciated.

Day 3:
Travel towards Kanyakumari and reach hotel by 12:00 noon. Rest of the day visit Vivekananda Memorial, Beach, Gandhi memorial, Temple, Sunset Point etc.

Day 4:
Checkout from Kanyakumari hotel after breakfast and visit following places: Vattakottai Fort, Padmanabhapuram Palace, Thirparappu Falls OR Manimuthar Waterfalls OR Agasthiyar Falls and reach Tirunelveli for dinner and stay.

Day 5:
Visit temple in Tirunelveli and head towards Madurai. Visit temples in Madurai and by night reach Bangalore.

I am planning to take my Brio (Honda Brio Petrol). Currently it has done 10K with 3 long journeys (> 400kms) in past two years.
For journey total 4 adults and 2 kids will be there. Drive will be done by me and Brother in Law with spare driver as my better half (only on empty highways [;)]).

You can follow this link which may be useful to you.

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...-7-days-road-trip-ghost-town-end-country.html

Bangalore - Kanyakumari – Bangalore :: Journey Time & Rest Stops

Route (Bangalore - Kanyakumari) is pretty straight forward. Nothing to talk about, exceptional roads.

Onward: 410am - 130pm (with 3-4 breaks). 9.5 hrs. 1st break at Aasai Dosai, Salem (they were open at 7am). Other bio-breaks at various places. Lunch was at Kanyakumari. 664 kms in 8+ hrs is easily possible. You can maintain 90-100 almost all the way.

Return (from Madurai). 920am - 620pm. 9hrs. Extended 1+ hrs of lunch at Grand Estancia, Salem. Another coffee break (of 30+ mins) at A2B, Shoolagiri.

Enough information is available on forums on the eateries / bio break options between Bangalore - Salem / Namakkal. Here is the list compiled between Karur - Kanyakumari & my opinion on those options in the order of they come when you go from Karur to Kanyakumari.

Ammaiyappar (Was recommended by a colleague, but no personal exp)
https://goo.gl/maps/v28MM7BqGg32

Valluvar (near Karur). Coffee was good, Indian toilets clean, Food (except Rice) is prepared in Karur, not at site. When I complained that the coffee had 'Yedu' (the creamy layer that gets formed when you heat milk, I can't stand it), they changed the whole coffee. I just asked it to be filtered. Spoke to the manager, very courteous staff. Food quality - Not sure.
https://goo.gl/maps/aiWtjSQUcbT2

Hotel Aarthi (Looked big, didn't stop, lots of parking space, lots of name board notice)
https://goo.gl/maps/CTLwVh3QsHv

Hotel Aariya Nivas (Near Dindigul) (didn't even notice this, and no personal experience)
https://goo.gl/maps/dcfuqn93AAT2

CCD (not sure about exact Google Maps location, within a km from this spot)
https://goo.gl/maps/TZvnmM8KqX72

Hotel Temple City (I couldn't notice this, and no personal experience)
https://goo.gl/maps/jhKSnBAniKH2

A2B (Remember noticing A2B, wasn't sure if this was the location)
https://goo.gl/maps/yywqDVWDGc82

Nellai Saravana Bhavan (Had coffee, rest rooms were neatly maintained)
https://goo.gl/maps/B49i9od8gUM2

Hari's Restaurant (Saw this, adjacent to Nellai Saravavana Bhavan. So went there, looked ok)
https://goo.gl/maps/WsTaubK7dRJ2

CCD (I saw signs, but couldn't locate the place when cruising at 100+)
https://goo.gl/maps/KLo8QunJ9f72

Sree Saravana Bhavan (Have had in SSB near Krishnagiri, not sure about this one)
https://goo.gl/maps/hzECMad8mmm

CCD (Rest rooms were clean, as expected. A/c is working only on the right-side)
https://goo.gl/maps/8z8zRXu3rLG2

After this CCD, couldn't find a decent one for bio breaks or so.

Last edited:

Day 1:

Day 2:
I have one question, for visit to Dhanushkodi. I understand that we need to rely on local 4x4 vehicles to visit this place. Can we arrange hotel pick up of these vehicles? Or do we need to drive down to designated place and from there these vehicles are available? Any pointers on this front is greatly appreciated.

Day 3:

Day 4:

Day 5:

Would love to see a travelogue on this when you return. Happy driving !!

His post was from 2015 [evil]
Just thought of updating this thread, instead of creating a new one! I have another trip planned (not sure when, but soon!) for Rameswaram/Dhanushkodi & salt plains. Summer is just too damn hot/sultry & the white-ness will temporarily blind you now. Waiting for monsoon & overcast conditions. Will update the other details at that time.

[lol]. This all was because of CasualSurfer, he had given him detailed itinerary [glasses]
Would have given a detailed itinerary. Don't know how I missed this thread then. May be busy exploring the Scorpio (bought it in Oct 2015!).

Planning for Davengere--Krishnagiri(halt)
2)Krishnagiri---Kanyakumari
3) Kanyakumari--Rameshwaram-Kanyakumari
4) Kanyakumari --Davengere,on the last day
Hoping to start in the evening of 28March with a halt at Krishnagiri at night,is it doelbale?

Planning for Davengere--Krishnagiri(halt)
2)Krishnagiri---Kanyakumari
3) Kanyakumari--Rameshwaram-Kanyakumari
4) Kanyakumari --Davengere,on the last day
Hoping to start in the evening of 28March with a halt at Krishnagiri at night,is it doelbale?
1) Davangere - Krishnagiri: Definitely doable. It may be a 6+ hrs trip. Bangalore crossing is the headache here. NICE will be packed in the workday evenings, especially tolls. If too late, halt at Hosur itself.

2) Hosur / Krishnagiri - Kanyakumari: Definitely doable. 8-9 hrs with breaks. Start by 6/7am latest. Plan to be there for sunset. And enjoy the next day sunrise too.

3. Kanyakumari - Rameswaram - Kanyakumari: 11+ hrs is the travel itself. I would suggest to go to Madurai & stay in Madurai. If you have nothing else planned in Kanyakumari that day, no point going back.

4. Kanyakumari - Davangere: Could be doable, depending on your skills. Some do it. Please note it is all 4/6 lane all the way. A very early start 4/5am is a must. It might be taxing on the family. Probably if you go to Madurai (from Rameswaram), you will have a head start of 250kms (3+ hrs). Last day travel could be much easier that way. However crossing Bangalore is the critical point here. Missing the Electronic City Flyover is critical (yes, you shouldn't climb up the ramp at Electronic City) rather go down & take the left further up to get onto NICE road.

As per your suggestion I have changed my iternery booked a hotel at madhurai ,and not returning back to Kanyakumari, will also have a time to explore Rameshwarm and madhurai, will be hoping that the trip be enjoyable, thanks for the help

As per your suggestion I have changed my iternery booked a hotel at madhurai ,and not returning back to Kanyakumari, will also have a time to explore Rameshwarm and madhurai, will be hoping that the trip be enjoyable, thanks for the help
Good choice. Not sure if you will have time to explore Madurai though, it depends on your itinerary. That day will still be hectic. Kanyakumari - Rameshwaram (Kanywakumari - Thirunelveli - Follow ECR all the way to Rameswaram, ECR in most places is desolate!) is a 4-5hrs journey. Local sightseeing (Temple, Pamban Bridge & Dhanushkodi) + lunch breaks etc might consume till evening. And then to Madurai (Rameswaram - Ramanathapuram - Paramakudi - Manamadurai - Madurai) is a 3hr journey! You may just have time to dinner+crash. Pooja services (night post 8pm & early morning 5am) could still be possible @ Meenakshiamman Temple though. May be too taxing on the family. Choose wisely. Enjoying relaxed in those trips are more important than destinations/coverage alone.

Thanks for reply, will be taking it easy, will visit only those places which time permits, will enjoy the time I am there, will be updating about the trip in my ownership review "2015 Global Ford Fiesta Long Term Review.

Top Bottom