Need suggesion on buying a suitable used car (Bought ikon!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Starter #1
HI guys ,
planning to buy a car(holy satan)

Of course a pre owned car!! we love them at cheaper price.

the budget may vary . from 1L to 2.25~2.50L

Plan 1

Basic one , buy a petrol esteem for 1L and then modify it.

Plan 2

Buy a tata sierra and modify it .
even ideas for this discussed. Exterior , no major face changeover , kinda simple and neat job. Interior colouring of our choice and adding 2 captain seat in middle and a babby seat at rear one side else 3 captain seat at rear.
So that entry can be made through rear door. We are searching one in slow pace.

Know a sierra in coimbatore that is for sale
got new tyres
mico diesel pump(i think originally it comes with tvs and this is replaced one)
Good paint job , also a known car .
asking for 1.30L , year of reg and make not known.

Plan 3
Unlike the sierra case , where we have just fixed a car and searching in slow manner , came across a car in workshop
A 2001 june model ap reg ikon 1.6 is eagerly waiting for a buyer. the car recently got new silencer and ignition coil . The exterior is just perfect with slightest dent at sides almost nil dent and scratches . silver colour and is as new as in brand new one. 74K kms done and is single owner . price expected by owner is 1.3L . It has a fault and doesnt start. I know the exact reason , but not in public forum as the seller may switch over to retain the car- he want to sell as the car refuse to start a 3rd time. , first it was due to ignition coil
2nd showroom changed the bat , but still
this is the 3rd time , i know the reason , but still have not spoke about this to them or they have asked about the reason - [hmm he is working with surendar. ]

I know nothing has a link to one another , but still if compare a suv with hatch why not this .

Esteem for cheaper maintenance cost and good FE.
Sierra for a diesel heart - turbo or non turbo , not worried about the pick up
ikon for the neat and good looking car and its sporty drive , cons- its mileage.

Fiat - love by hear not by mind , ruled out the option of sienna or petra or palio even diesel - got a 3 owner neat sienna weekend petrol , 03 model for just 1L , ruled out , got a test drive of it , it was simply smooth and superb.

Even victa is considered if the expteror is neat with the aura alloy .
Got some skoda petrol for about 3 to 3.5 , one mind says go for it , another mind says another unexpected 1L and SKODA[evil].

There is no exact purpose for the vehicle , it will be litrally used for anything , but will be running mostly if its a diesel.

Every budget saved in this is worth , will be happy to get a esteem for about 80000 and repair work another 30000. we will be a happy men.

Hope some of you have got our mind this time . Yeah i accept flickering[frustration] , don't know what will happen at the end , but will be giving a final say for the ikon in few couple of days.

Compared to ikon Mind votes for the sierra . esp the one mentioned.
Even a indigo dicor or dicor or marina is considered , but plan for a different kinda car not of very normal one. tata indigo's only if anything does not properly fit the bill or if we get any diesel one at cheaper rate.

OOps , the reason to open up this thread .
Pour in your ideas , also any other car if you suggest

Last edited:
i don't know about you but i always hated esteem driver seat height as i have this car . about ikon its look gave -ve effect well that what think

but serra is beauty here some good restoration little bit of pimp my ride and this babe is ready

regarding skoda my friend too brought it for 2.83L and some good work + CNG and it was awesome looking car + light on valet

I would suggest to pick up the Sierra. Believe me Sierra still makes head turn with its looks and unique design! Some simple mods , a good ICE and the Sierra will be ready to rule the roads. Compared to Sierra , Ikon and Esteem are pretty dated and a Sierra has amazing build quality compared to the other two. And since you yourself know to repair your cars , maintaining a used TATA vehicle will not be heavy! My suggestion add wing doors to Sierra , it will look amazing!

But price quoted by them is slightly higher! Try to negotiate.

thnx to ilango for starting this discussion well ahead of me. Guess i was the one supposed to do this.

anyawayz. now, Esteem being ruled out of the picture (temperaorily ofcourse), we are kind of fixated between the ikon and sierra.

the ikon owner has finally settled for 1.05 lkhs meaning, repair charges + registration would come upto a max of 1.20 lakhs.

took a test drive of the ikon and the car handles/performs really well. One disappoinment for me was the laid back relaxed driving position in baleno. that was missing in the ikon.

with the same money i could get us a sierra and then invest another 20 to 30K to get it ready to my taste.

so guys, please let us know which one of the above options seems good enough assuming that the car is planned to be kept for 3-4 years.

travel would be mostly on highways and rare city stints say 200 kms per month

also any good/bad experiences on the ikon are most welcome.

Thanks all :)

Since you have mentioned on highways i will surely recommend Sierra! An SUV is more comfortable and spacious in the highways. You will have to compromise a bit on performance and FE. And also Sierra is so solidly built that its really safe too!

We had a Sierra for nearly 11 years and it was such a nice vehicle to own and drive. With some modifications it can be made a head turner. And driving a Sierra is also not as tough as other SUV'S. I learnt my driving in a Sierra and its very very easy to drive! Ours was a non-turbo one but still it can reach three digit speeds easily.

So my pick would be the Sierra anyday! Try to get some more details of the Sierra , year of manufacture , Kms done etc. I think the price they are quoting is slightly higher.

AMG

Suspended
My vote too goes to the sierra.

That reminds me, got to start looking for one for myself :stupid:

Just one point. All three vehicles should be available for less than a lakh. Sierra's usually go for around 50K for a good condition piece. Forget about the Ikon. Spares are impossible. Esteem seems to be a good car but limit the budget to 80K for a MPFI. This car is easy to mod. Spares are also easy as Meru Cabs have a huge fleet of Esteems and Maruti still manufactures the spares for this car.

350Z

Core Team
Though the Sierra is a good car, but only if you are ready to maintain it yourself rather than relying upon authorized after sales. The Esteem is nice as well but tends to give frequent trouble typically after five years of ownership. So, under the said budget, I'd say look out for Honda City or why not a Lancer? Also, if possible add a Lakh more to the budget, and you could get an Aveo.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #10
Against all your post , have finilised on ikon 1.6.

Yeah i have a workshop of own to maintain cars but , we were looking for a good sierra - hard to find and not to to be always in workshop.

A good mpfi esteem is neglected for this ikon 1.6.

Ford Oe spares area available now , also non oe , branded spares area available at spare shop. so owning a ikon is not a big problem.

Also reading lot of reviews over the net and in person , lot of people suggested ikon over the sierra , though all accepted sierra is comfortable and they love the car so much no for sierra , some even after owning for 16+ years say this comment.

Regular problem creeping in ikon is solved in this , new bat , silencer , ignition coil , spark plug and wires and what not , even the oils are new and new front tyres replaced a 20 days back. so calculating them , decided to go ahead with this particular ikon for 1.05L . even worse ikon were priced higher than this.

Pictures of this one.

Last picture is test drive of this ikon for 80kms combination good , bad , worse and country roads.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom