Need Inputs on Front Bumper Sensor or Camera

Thread Starter #1
Hi experts,

Please suggest is there any sensor or camera available which can be fitted on front bumper which can be useful in parking or steering left in hefty traffic as we may have error in judgement sometime and it can be very expensive even if we miss by mm.

I have already installed rear parking camera from MGA, can the front sensor be retrofitted with this. Please provide me some genuine product pointer.

Thanks,
Alok

Re: Need input on front bumper sensor or camera

You can use any cam for this purpose. The ones we use as rear cams would just do fine. Power it via a switch so that it doesn't stay on all the time. Whenever you need to see the feed from the front cam just turn the switch on and the feed should be available on your screen. In rear installations, the same is achieved by powering the cam from the reverse light line. As the reverse gear is engaged, the reveres light line gets power and lights up the light as well as powers the cam too and hence we see the feed from the cam.

Thread Starter #3

You can use any cam for this purpose. The ones we use as rear cams would just do fine. Power it via a switch so that it doesn't stay on all the time. Whenever you need to see the feed from the front cam just turn the switch on and the feed should be available on your screen. In rear installations, the same is achieved by powering the cam from the reverse light line. As the reverse gear is engaged, the reveres light line gets power and lights up the light as well as powers the cam too and hence we see the feed from the cam.
Thank You, but please explain what product I need to buy, are there any MGA product? Yes I like to use it on need basis so a switch would be handy.So as per your input , I need to add a camera cum sensor and it should feed to existing screen. But please specify if there are any product and how useful it can be during parking or steer the car in dense traffic.

Thank You, but please explain what product I need to buy, are there any MGA product? Yes I like to use it on need basis so a switch would be handy.So as per your input , I need to add a camera cum sensor and it should feed to existing screen. But please specify if there are any product and how useful it can be during parking or steer the car in dense traffic.
I don't wish to discourage you buddy but I don't support the idea of a front cam in the first place as you should rely on what your eyes are seeing in front of you and i guess that should be enough. But i guess you wish to see those pavements next to the parking to avoid hitting your bumper with. So, get a reverse cam (ebay has lots of them or you can get one from your local accessory shop) for around 1-1.5K. Power it via the ACC line and attach a kill switch in b/w the line so that you can turn it on/off as per your need.

http://www.ebay.in/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=reverse camera&_sop=15

If your video is capable of another camera why not fix it. My friend fixed a front camera in verna because he had to change his front bumper thrice after collision.

There is an MGA product.

Reverse parking assist with 8 sensors front and rear.Price is Rs6990.

Reverse parking assist with camera display is Rs9990.

As freakdude suggested you could connect a reverse parking assist camera on the front.The switch can be connected to the 1st forward gear instead of the reverse.

As freakdude suggested you could connect a reverse parking assist camera on the front.The switch can be connected to the 1st forward gear instead of the reverse.
Buddy, the cam is NOT attached to any gear. It's just so that when you engage the reverse gear, the reversing light glows (gets power) and the cam is actually attached to this light's power line. So, for a front cam he has to attach it to a different power source like ACC and control it via a switch.

I saw some product when I went to fix my reverse sensor. There is a 6 sensor (two on front and 4 on rear). They said, it will be working for 20 sec once you engage the first gear (when you stop and start). I wanted to go for it, but the shop fellow told it will be too annoying. I some time feel the same on my current reverse sensor also. It helps(you donot scratch your bumper) but annoying at times.

Thread Starter #9

There is an MGA product.

Reverse parking assist with 8 sensors front and rear.Price is Rs6990.

This is what I have but it's only for reverse, can it be retrofitted for front also. I need to use on need basis.

Guys, I had pondered over this some time back and a detailed discussion with a known accessory guy who is quite well versed in electricals. Acccording to him, main issue to take care regarding front sensors is - wiring should be of best quality and it should be done carefully so that it wont get affected due to heat produced under the hood unlike rear parking sensors. So, wiring path has to be identified carefully.

These sensors would be priced insanely with Authorised dealers.

Single cam in the middle of front bumper is going to mislead you, as the front bumpers are usually curved .The cam won't give you correct idea of object s near the left /right side of bumper as you are intrested in knowing the things in mm. And 3 cam system for front bumper doesn't exist.
Also it takes 3 seconds atleast for the screen to display once the cam is switched on, in heavy traffic this 3 sec interval would make the cam futile.

As you have already fitted reverse guide system , it is better to get front sensors (four) , get the alarm function of the sensors disabled so that you don't get annoyed.

Last edited:

Hi experts,

Please suggest is there any sensor or camera available which can be fitted on front bumper which can be useful in parking or steering left in hefty traffic as we may have error in judgement sometime and it can be very expensive even if we miss by mm.

I have already installed rear parking camera from MGA, can the front sensor be retrofitted with this. Please provide me some genuine product pointer.

Thanks,
Alok
If you have deep pockets then go for Alphine HCE-C500 Drive Assist system. It has 4 cameras 1 for rear, 1 for front and one each on mirror so that you have full coverage of your exterior of your car.

Info - Alpine Electronics of Asia Pacific

Regards,
Sankar

Thread Starter #13

Thank You everyone, I have just spoken to Accessories dept at Suraksha Car Care, Bangalore Electronics City. They informed that there is no MGA for front bumper but it can be retrofitted with existing Reverse Parking system. Only issue that they need to put some holes in front bumper which may look odd.

My take is to go for it as it can help in dense traffic while steering left.

Top Bottom