Need Help With Wheel Upsize For Optra Magnum

Thread Starter #1
Hello All,

Can you please help me with choosing the best wheel and/or tyre upsize for my Optra magnum? I'm currently using 195/60r15 Michelin primacy 3ST tyres. It's been over 30K KM with them. But of late they started noisy and there are some minor sidewall rots as well. So, thinking about going with a wheel upsize when I change my tyres next. The known low ground clearance led me to the decision.

My questions are
1. Is it really worth the upgrade going from 15 inch to 16 inch wheels by spending almost 40K for the wheels alone? (Or just stick with 205/60r15 instead)
2. I found that the best upsize is 205/55r16. In that case, should I go ahead with Michelin primacy 4ST or Yokohama Earth-1 or Yokohama BlueEarth-A or any other brands your recommend?
3. Can I expect improved handling and braking with this upsize?

Thank you so much for helping!

-Amjath

Hi Amjath,

Hope you don't mind but Optra is already at end of its life and there would be no appreciation. Even if you plan to keep it for another 5 years or so it will be a money pit as eventually diesel engines more than 15 years would be banned even in smaller cities.

I would suggest to go with higher profile tires rather than upgrading the wheel size unless the rims are badly damaged. Check if you can get 205/65 or 70 profile tires which would increase the GC and added profile will aid in more cushioned ride.

Also I think 30K is quite low for Michelin Primacy and you can easily extract 45 - 50 K from these tires but if you see sidewall challenges it is always better to change them.

Cheers !!

Sam

Thread Starter #3
Hi Amjath,

Hope you don't mind but Optra is already at end of its life and there would be no appreciation. Even if you plan to keep it for another 5 years or so it will be a money pit as eventually diesel engines more than 15 years would be banned even in smaller cities.

I would suggest to go with higher profile tires rather than upgrading the wheel size unless the rims are badly damaged. Check if you can get 205/65 or 70 profile tires which would increase the GC and added profile will aid in more cushioned ride.

Also I think 30K is quite low for Michelin Primacy and you can easily extract 45 - 50 K from these tires but if you see sidewall challenges it is always better to change them.

Cheers !!

Sam
Thanks Sam,

I do appreciate your input in this regard. Being addicted with its power and comfort, I'm not sure whether I would opt for any new car which falls under my budget in the new future. It's the 2011 model and still in good condition. After a bad encounter going through a road filled with rocks, I thought it's the time to do an upgrade to increase the ground clearance. I read that bigger wheels also helps with handling and braking, so thought of asking in this forum. I use this site for tyre upsize guides - Tyre Upsizing, Tyre Upsizing Calculator, Tyre Upgrade, Upgrading tyres, Michelin Tyre dealer in chennai, Authorised Michelin Tyre dealer in chennai, Michelin India, Michelin Tyres, tyrestore chennai. It says that anything over 2% isn't recommended. Considering both 205/65r15 and 205/70r15 goes above that, should I be concerned with side wall scraping while turning? And lastly, what's your thought on Michelin Energy XM2 tyres which are available in 205/65r15. Are they good, better than Primacy series? Thanks a lot!!!

Top Bottom