Need help with making this decision

Thread Starter #1
Hello All,
its been a while i have been away from the forums, and i am marking my returns today. very clearly, i need an advice and what better place to seek that from.
I have again started to look for a replacement of my Maruti 800 and have come across an option. Here is the background.

Long story, cut short:
  • I had planned to change to a better car by mid of this year.
  • I started to look out and set my mind on a safari. i was planned to put around 4.5-5lakhs for a good vehicle.
  • With some talking, at home, we changed the priority of the decision. i had almost dropped the plans of changing my car as well.
  • But coming across couple of good options within my budget has made me to think again. I come knocking on the doors of this forum to gather inputs.

My Requirements:
  • To be used for my daily usage and some trips over the weekend.
  • Family of 2 people and occassionally my parents visiting me.
  • Shouldnt be a money sucker.
  • Decent mileage.
  • Plan to keep it for atleast 3-4 years.

Budget:
  • Maximum at 2.5 lakhs.

Considering option:
I came across this Mitsubishi Lancer. its a 2001 model, GLXi. it has done 52K on the road. its with a person who is its 2nd owner and the car has been maintained very well and stock. It doesnt have any alloys and any funky accessories so if i buy it, later i would have chance to make those mods. The price has been asked as 2.5 lakhs(negotiable) and the owner claims that its in very good condition, and he has been doing regular service. I plan to visit the owner and have a look at this car soon.

Help required:
1.First i need to know if people think its a good choice. My M800 is doing fantastic and no reasons of changing it due to any problems. Its mainly due to the feel inside of buying a nicer car. Also on long road trips, i always feel M800 can be changed with a better car. Do you see any downsides with moving to a lancer.
2. Pricing aspect: i require you help in deciding the pricing for the car. is 2.5 worth it. i checked on a average price and found it to be higher. Can you please help me decide me what is a good price to pay.
3. Maintenance: Also i know we have gurus here, can someone shed light on the maintenance aspect of lancer. What sort of costs to expect! and how often.
4. Inspecting the car: While i am reading all the threads about inspecting used cars and we have lot of details available on the subject, but can someone give me specific pointers on what to look for when inspecting the lancer. The owner seems to be genuine guy,as i have spoken to him over the phone, but tips would be useful while checking it myself.

I was planning to make a visit to this person myself once to see the car and if i feel convinced, i shall then take my mechanic for another round.
Expecting your inputs on this decision to be made.

regards,
Saurabh

350Z

Core Team
Mitsubishi Lancer immediately strikes me as soon as I noticed the budget, even before reading the next para. Sure, it’s a great car which will suffice the requirements well and also satisfy the car freak inside you. However, I would recommend to consider a second hand car rather than third. Ask him the reason for selling. Don’t jump on the conclusions in a jiffy, just research and research more. There are ample of neat examples of second hand Lancers under this much budget. You must also consider Honda City too.

quitefar said:
1.First i need to know if people think its a good choice. My M800 is doing fantastic and no reasons of changing it due to any problems. Its mainly due to the feel inside of buying a nicer car. Also on long road trips, i always feel M800 can be changed with a better car. Do you see any downsides with moving to a lancer.
Except for bigger size and relatively more up keep costs than Maruti 800, I don't see any downsides of owning a Lancer.

quitefar said:
2. Pricing aspect: i require you help in deciding the pricing for the car. is 2.5 worth it. i checked on a average price and found it to be higher. Can you please help me decide me what is a good price to pay.
There's always a fair scope of negotiation. I recommend trusted dealerships like First Choice for the sake of peace of mind. They do ask a bit high, but it's worth it with the assurance / warranty that you receive.

quitefar said:
3. Maintenance: Also i know we have gurus here, can someone shed light on the maintenance aspect of lancer. What sort of costs to expect! and how often.
Please visit the following threads. Both are of Pre-owned Lancers.

- http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...-mitsubishi-lancer-slxi.html?highlight=lancer
- http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...er-slxi-limited-edition.html?highlight=lancer

quitefar said:
4. Inspecting the car: While i am reading all the threads about inspecting used cars and we have lot of details available on the subject, but can someone give me specific pointers on what to look for when inspecting the lancer. The owner seems to be genuine guy,as i have spoken to him over the phone, but tips would be useful while checking it myself.
This thread should help you (http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...pecting-second-hand-car-exhaustive-guide.html). Be thorough while doing any inspections. Especially odometer tampering / technical faults. Even if the car belongs to trusted dealerships.

Drive Safe,
350Z

The 2 best options available in your budget are:

1. Old Honda City (Vtec or 1.3L)
2. Lancer

Getting a used OHC is pretty easy, however overall i like the Lancer much more. Since the Lancer is still in production, the spares wont be an issue, and when taken as a whole, the Lancer looks far better than the OHC inside out. Both the cars return the fuel efficiency in the range of 12-13kmpl.

Furthermore, if you can stretch your budget upto 3 lacs, you can get a NHC(Dolphin shape) with not many kms on board. Though it wont give the extensive power spurge of OHC or Lancer, it will return a decent efficiency of 15kmpl.

Last edited:
rightly said.
ohc and lancer.

lancer is cheaper of the two in market

a 2001 model must fetch as low as 1.60L

i dont like ohc seat ing position

Avoid the opels that you can come across this budget.

ilango[speed thirst];83576 said:
rightly said.
ohc and lancer.

+1. The Lancer still looks good, while the OHC looks too outdated. Ilango it would be great if you can put in the real time FE figure, and service charges of your (now sold) Lancer.

Hello Quitefar nice to see you back here after a long time! One's inner self always keeps wanting better things so i am surprised seeing your decision.

So have you made your mind you are going for a Lancer? Lancer is a great car with good comfort , you will love its seating and driving position! The only negatives i see in you upgrading to the Lancer relatively more cost to run and maintain the car. Ask Ilango for anything related to Lancer , he should be able to help you on the pricing as well as maintenance front.

If you want other options too i would suggest Accent if you are okay with the dated looks. Then the other obvious choice which others have suggested , OHC. If you are looking at SUV'S then watch out for Sierra or Safari TCIC model.

Thread Starter #7
thanks guys.

rightly said.
ohc and lancer.

i dont like ohc seat ing position

Avoid the opels that you can come across this budget.
Ilango. thx for the pricing input. the price you mentioned is from bangalore perspective. rite. since i am assuming that Chennai and Blr prices are different. i was thinking about 1.8 if i like the car.
Will appreciate if you can share some rough nos on maintenance costs, service costs etc. it would be really helpful in comitting to my decision.

Hello Quitefar nice to see you back here after a long time! One's inner self always keeps wanting better things so i am surprised seeing your decision.

So have you made your mind you are going for a Lancer? Lancer is a great car with good comfort , you will love its seating and driving position! The only negatives i see in you upgrading to the Lancer relatively more cost to run and maintain the car. Ask Ilango for anything related to Lancer , he should be able to help you on the pricing as well as maintenance front.

If you want other options too i would suggest Accent if you are okay with the dated looks. Then the other obvious choice which others have suggested , OHC. If you are looking at SUV'S then watch out for Sierra or Safari TCIC model.
thanks CoolDhaya..nice to be back too :) you guys are so involved with the forum that its always motivating to see you around.
yes, i am thinking about lancer. as i gave the background, the plan was to go in for an upgrade in a full fledged way, but then we are thinking about investment in propoerty as well, hence i kind of struck off the plan. but later the moment i saw some good options around 2 lakhs, i was tempted, hence all of this forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #10
Thanks guys. i have come across couple of more car options of very well maintained lancers. hoping to see them all during the weekend.

ilango, need a little help. the 2000 year ones which i am coming across are very well kept. i was just wondering that for a sedan, 10-11 years of age. Should i be more careful about certain issues like suspension or engine. any pointers!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm travelling on the same shoes[evil], subscribed to this thread.

BTW Lancer is the best choice for your budget. I would suggest look for a genuine specimen less than 2 lakhs and spend 50k for initial maintenance & upgrades.

8+ year lancer will be still good , due to its build quality.

the doors and things must close with proper thud sound.

maintaining a lancer is quite cheap .

Both petrol and diesel were sold in large number.
the price i mentioned was for slxi model chennai. the worst max must be 1.6. 15 to 20k lowest possible can be also found.
All ads in internet are quoted high.

Lancer with 15 inch alloys may be more.

Any modification to that car will look good.

Suspension of that age car will be worn out , but will be working fine. that is the quality of lancer suspension.

check my lancer thread for exact suspension cost. must be 2.4 to 2.6k

Search hard for good body conditioned lancer , you could avoid cost involved in painting and body.

Replace timing belts , other belts , water pump spark plug , oils , clean the radiator, coolant , brakes etc , suspension. 15 inch alloys and tyres.

hope this must all come to 2L to 2.10L if the car is bought for 1.5L

+1 for lancer.
In the budget you have specified, best thing money can get you is a Lancer. A true drivers car , inspiring design and its worth buying. If you are going for a diesel variant, i would recommend you to check the car thoroughly before buying( i checked 12 octavia diesels before getting one) . Because diesel with injector problems may cost more than the price of the car to get it done. And check all the doors and bumpers for dents, and ask if the windshield has been changed . And check the tires too, it may cost you 20k to replace them.

Good luck on searching for the best !!

Jeno

Top Bottom