Need Help To Decide New Car Battery

Thread Starter #1
Hi
I have 3 year old Chevy Spark Petrol, and I need help to decide which battery to buy. The car is rarely driven, just 5K kms in 3 years, because the car is used by my parents when they need it to commute, and that too for short trips (5-8 kms in a week).

The car is giving trouble while starting and takes 3-4 key twists to start. Earlier I thought Delhi's cold weather was to blame, but now I feel that battery is dying. Any suggestions if I should buy a new one, or if I can charge the existing one.

If I am buying a new one, please suggest which one to go for.

Thanks

Thread Starter #3
Thanks IndicaDLS2002, I'll take a look at it. A very basic question. Does Keeping the engine running idle for 5-7 minutes charge up the battery? As my car gets driven once a week, I can ask my driver to come, start and keep the engine running for 5-10 minutes in every 2-3 days. Would this help?

Okay obviously if any car is driven only once a week & that too just 5-8 kms then that might be the reason you are having these issues. So yes starting it daily might help for a few minutes might help reduce this problem. The life of a typical car battery itself is considered to be around 4-5 years & then one needs replacement.

just a curious suggestion If the vehicle is completely idle most of the time you might want look at possibly giving it for hire to a reliable party(might need change in registration) if that's an option, which will also keep it running condition & in addition generate some revenue for you while its not being used by your folks.

Thread Starter #5
Thanks, I'll ask my driver to do that.

One more question. I asked my driver to check the battery and he left a few minutes back. He said battery looks fine as horn, stereo player, and lights are working fine. He cleaned the carbon from the battery ports, and started it. We noticed that if the engine is warm, the car starts immediately in one key twist. If the engine gets cold, say 5-6 hrs later, it needs 3-4 key twists to start. My car is parked in shade and is covered from two walls, so I can't rule out cold wind and weather as the factor. The temperature in Delhi is around 16-20 deg C.

Does it look like a battery issue, or a cold weather is culprit.

Thanks, I'll ask my driver to do that.

One more question. I asked my driver to check the battery and he left a few minutes back. He said battery looks fine as horn, stereo player, and lights are working fine. He cleaned the carbon from the battery ports, and started it. We noticed that if the engine is warm, the car starts immediately in one key twist. If the engine gets cold, say 5-6 hrs later, it needs 3-4 key twists to start. My car is parked in shade and is covered from two walls, so I can't rule out cold wind and weather as the factor. The temperature in Delhi is around 16-20 deg C.

Does it look like a battery issue, or a cold weather is culprit.
Check the battery terminals both sides, the side connected to the starter motor too. check there is fungus, if yes detach it and clean it with hot water and apply some vaseline over it as it prevents fungus.And do check your spark plugs too.

@Himanshu

Since car is 3 year old only and this kind of problem should not arise !!

Better take it to the Chevy service center once to fix the problem rather than guess work.[:)]

Instead of idle running the vehicle for 5 to 10 minutes daily, you can Tell your drives to go for a round for 1 or 2 km once in 2 days. It will charge the battery and It is good for AC too. 
Is there any battery light glowing? If it is glowing then take to service center.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #9
No, battery light is not glowing after the car starts. I'll take it service center tomorrow, nad get the battery checked.

Everyone - Thanks for replying and helping me.

@Himanshu

Since car is 3 year old only and this kind of problem should not arise !!

Better take it to the Chevy service center once to fix the problem rather than guess work.[:)]
Hi there!

I have to buy new battery. I had Exide din 60mh which lasted for 5 years. I am confused between Amaron & excise. could you help me on this Please!

I have zeroed down on excise din 60mh at 5800 INR with 18 months warranty.

Any guidance!

Thanks !
AD[:)]

@ Hymanshu, Welcome to TAI. After reading the above posts it seems that your battery is ok. And starting in 3-4 key twist is not a big issue, as your car is used once or twice in a week.

When a car is driven for only one day(8-10 kms) in a week, then the battery will surely discharge itself. And if this scenario continues the battery will die within next few months. I have seen a same case in a Matiz in my friend's garage. The lady used to drive the car only on Sundays and the battery used to drain. When I tested the battery, the water level was low and the plates were deformed. We replaced the old battery with new AMCO battery. And also installed a battery cut off switch (the same used in bajaj auto 3 wheeler).

If your car is parked inside your house and not using the central lock is safe then you can tell your driver to disconnect the battery -ve cable when the car is not used.

One more thing, idling the engine for 5-10 mins will not charge the battery, as the amount of energy lost in 3-4 cranks will not be gained in idling for 10 mins. Instead it may drain the battery due to various factors.

And for checking the battery, tell your driver to switch on the head lights on high beam and the fog lamps (if equipped) and then open the water filling caps of the battery and start the car. You will have to see that are there any bubbles in the battery when car is being started ?? If yes then its time for servicing your battery. (keep safe distance from the battery and radiator fan while checking the battery)

Top Bottom