Need Help: Insurance Claim [ICICI Lombard]

Thread Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I just bought a pre-used Hyundai i20. Its just one year old. Everything seemed fine until I found out there is problem with a steering column tilt system. There had been a self accident by the last owner back in April 2011. I took it to the service center, I was informed that its collapsible steering column. During the accident the steering has collapsed for safety and the old owner has repaired it locally. The new steering column costs Rs 27,000. I asked the service center if I can claim insurance. He told me that I should have been claimed during the time of the accident and its is tampered now.

Is there any way I can claim insurance now ?

Thx in advance.

Unfortunately no, you cannot claim insurance now.

Have the car inspected by HASS. If the steering column is the only fault, have it repaired, however I doubt it. Because an accident that can cause the steering column to collapse would have been a major one. Also since the work was done locally, not sure how perfectly it was done.

Investigate and take proper decision. There is always a risk in buying used vehicles. Sorry for sounding negative.

I do agree with Chayan, unfortunately its not that easy. Though you can fancy your chances, make some story with the help of HASS and go for claim.
HASS guys will not stop you as they don't have anything to loose. HASS will perform work only after approval of ICICI prud executive. ICICI prud executive will mostly approve the claim only after visiting the Car (in most cases).
If he inspects the car, there is almost a rare chance of getting approval because only steering column cannot be damaged with out causing any other external damage.
If he approves without inspecting then you are lucky, although the chance is very less. You can proceed with the work only if approval is done else you can take your car back without performing any work but you might have to pay claim charges Rs 1000/-.

@Ashishk:
See buddy,your case is extremely complicated.The previous owner has drilled it all and left you in a situation where you have to get it repaired yourself.
There are three cases now:
  • Case 1:Talk to previous owner and ask him to get it repaired because he sold you a defective car-99.99% FAILURE CHANCES.
  • Case 2:Get it repaired yourself and pay the amount-100% FAIL PROOF.
  • Case 3:Try to find out an accidental i20,same color as of yours and be ready to talk to the insurance company executive-50-50 chances(If you haven't understood then go for second method)

Thread Starter #5
Thx you guys for the replies n suggestions ! Sorry for the late reply.

The HASS guy told me that accident was not a major one bcoz the airbags were not deployed.[The i20 has a sensor right in front on the bumper] I hope its true. He said car would have hit the divider or something.

I called the previous owner he says, He did know it costed so much.... I'm on the receiving end.[frustration]

I might sound desperate ! just I'm gonna ask anyways....

Is there any way I can book the car ICICI inspector/evaluator ?? . {I have had a couple of friend do that for their claims}
or
If just wreck the car a lil so that there is come visual damage in order to make the claim??

Last edited:
Ashish, I think you answered yourself what you should do. Since you have a faulty steering, take care while driving and lookout for pedestrian , carts and off course dividers.[;)]

Buddy, I think you should do something ASAP since it involves with your steering. You are talking from the external views. God only know how the other concealed parts and its condition.

Actually when I was having my M800, i went and hit on two wheeler which hit my windshield and it got a crack. When I went to famous windshield guy he told me cooly to mention in the claim form as "Some tree branch fell down when it was parked under a tree".

Why I am trying to say this, I think the service guys and insurance guys can help you if you could talk to them. Mostly every service center has a insurance representative stationed there. Pls try your luck.

Hyundai i20 is been continuous with this steering rattling issue not with all the cars, in your case it is even worse.

Firstly try to solve with your prev owner as to where he has repaired and why not he didn't claimed the insurance at that time. If this doesn't solves then go with idea of our expert Sethu.

Top Bottom