Need Car For 80:20 (Highway / City) Daily Driving For Rs.13 Lakh

Thread Starter #1
Hi All,
Looking for quick help from everyone, please suggest me / help me select the best car with in my budget. Following are the conditions:
- Daily driving of 100+ kms for office which include 80+ k in highway driving & around 20k in city condition
- Due to high highway run, looking for a good build with good security car
- Budget is of 12L
- I've lower back pain issue hence looking for comfortable + good high seating position cars
- will have weekend trips once in three months
About i drive :
- i'm one who is always in hurry. Breaks will come little hard and changes gear a little too much so as too have the car in good revs.
- Also Don't try rush on speed breakers or corners
So yes, in Hurry but not rash.

I've zeroed in on Ford Ecosport diesel, Nexon XZ+ Diesel and S-Cross but unable to select from among them. Have test drived all of them and found ceratin things better in one but certain in other hence unable to select the best one for myself. So now, turning to the experienced folks for guidance !
Thanks

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Re: Need Car for 80(highway):20(city) driving daily within 13 Lacs

Hi Rahul, Both Eco Sport & Nexon are totally VFM and very capable products. Do a test drive of both. Diesel Nexon is a very competent performer. In safety parameter, I'll say, Tata's built quality is definitely an accomplished feature. Another thing, instead of the S-Cross, check out the Facelift Scorpio too. If you are spending a big amount then make sure the car is worth every penny. S-Cross doesn't appeal to me if I compare the Price Vs Performance. 1.3 DDIS now looks dated when compared to the likes of 1.5 Diesel of Eco Sport & Nexon. For me Scorpio is a better SUV than S-Cross.

Regards

Akash

Thread Starter #4

Hi Rahul, Both Eco Sport & Nexon are totally VFM and very capable products. Do a test drive of both. Diesel Nexon is a very competent performer. In safety parameter, I'll say, Tata's built quality is definitely an accomplished feature. Another thing, instead of the S-Cross, check out the Facelift Scorpio too. If you are spending a big amount then make sure the car is worth every penny. S-Cross doesn't appeal to me if I compare the Price Vs Performance. 1.3 DDIS now looks dated when compared to the likes of 1.5 Diesel of Eco Sport & Nexon. For me Scorpio is a better SUV than S-Cross.

Regards

Akash
Thank you Akash for valuable suggestion. I guess Scorpio base model will come in my range hence focussing on top or top-1 models only as of now but will surely have a look at scorpio.
I took a long test drive of ES and somehow the new seats of titanium+ gave me back ache. I even asked the SA, whether a heavy built person will able to seat comfortably in these seats. Side supports in those seats were not at all comfortable for me atleast in leather.
Also, i've seen your post for nexon. If you own one, can you share your experience driving it. I liked the seating, driving comfort and 6th gear (its like bonus) over ecosport.

Akash1886

Honoured Member

I guess Scorpio base model will come in my range hence focussing on top or top-1 models only as of now but will surely have a look at scorpio.
[:)]
I took a long test drive of ES and somehow the new seats of titanium+ gave me back ache. I even asked the SA, whether a heavy built person will able to seat comfortably in these seats. Side supports in those seats were not at all comfortable for me atleast in leather.
If I remember correctly, at the launch, Ford Team specifically mentioned that they had improved upon the rear seating of the Eco Sport after getting feedback about the earlier model. I sat in the new Eco Sport too and I am 6Ft 1 with weight 83 Kg (As on 15 Jan 2018) but to me they felt fine. Suggest you to sit in the older version and then again in the new one to judge the difference buddy.

Also, i've seen your post for nexon. If you own one, can you share your experience driving it. I liked the seating, driving comfort and 6th gear (its like bonus) over ecosport.
I have driven the Nexon and experienced in detail on many occasions bro so I gave my feedback. It is a very capable product and on it's merits it is doing quite well in our market. I am in the process to buy 1 (XZ AMT) in diesel most likely in this year itself. I recently bought a Tigor XZ (o) Petrol and quite happy with that too.

Regards

Akash

Thread Starter #6

If I remember correctly, at the launch, Ford Team specifically mentioned that they had improved upon the rear seating of the Eco Sport after getting feedback about the earlier model. I sat in the new Eco Sport too and I am 6Ft 1 with weight 83 Kg (As on 15 Jan 2018) but to me they felt fine. Suggest you to sit in the older version and then again in the new one to judge the difference buddy.
I have sat on old front seats but they were comfortable somehow new driver seat doesn't seems that comfrotable to me [confused]
I don't want to leave ecosport just for this trivial issue [although will not be dissapointed as nexon is still there as an option]

I have driven the Nexon and experienced in detail on many occasions bro so I gave my feedback. It is a very capable product and on it's merits it is doing quite well in our market. I am in the process to buy 1 (XZ AMT) in diesel most likely in this year itself. I recently bought a Tigor XZ (o) Petrol and quite happy with that too.
[:)] Even i would have choosen AMT anyday but cant wait more as 100+ k perday travelling on public transport is too much

Akash1886

Honoured Member

I have sat on old front seats but they were comfortable somehow new driver seat doesn't seems that comfrotable to me
I don't want to leave ecosport just for this trivial issue [although will not be dissapointed as nexon is still there as an option]
As you'll be driving a lot on daily basis then seating comfort can't be compromised bro. If you felt that the seats of new one isn't as per your need, then do sit and have a long TD of Nexon Diesel you'll be equally pleased with it.

Even i would have choosen AMT anyday but cant wait more as 100+ k perday travelling on public transport is too much
True. Having own transport mode is a necessity today.

Regards

Akash

I would suggest take a keen look at Honda WR-V diesel, it's definitely not as solid product as Ecosport and Nexon, but it has:
Most frugal engine
Best driving position
Best set of front seats
And a sunroof :biggrin:

Considering the usage and seat comfort, I will suggest that you check Tata Safari Storme EX model. The base model starts around 10 lacs and will be anyday more comfortable than ES or Nexon.

Thread Starter #10

Thanks @TSIVipul for the suggestion, though wr-v is a delicious suggestion (coz of sunroof) but NVH were not that great + it felt frugal hence dropped the idea.

@JayB Thanks. Base models will certainly have many things missing what usually count as necessities now + that extra seating row was the reason troubling me coz of which i didn't considered TUV. But if Nexon doesn't suite me as well, i will reconsider tuv, scorpio and safari storm or probably s-cross as well (which wifey likes the most :D)

Hi Rahul,
I would suggest you go for the S Cross. It's very well built , zeta variant which comes in your budget is well loaded too. If you find the performance too slow, you can always add a race chip or get a simple stage 1 remap done [:)]. Not to mention it would be very fuel efficient.

Last edited by a moderator:

Given your requirement, I would suggest Ecosport and i20 top end diesel variant as they have 6-airbags. Next I would recommend Aspire, as again it has 6 airbags but it does miss out on blings, if you are bothered about it. If nothing excites you, then you have the Nexon with the most powerful diesel. Finally you can look at Etios Cross X Edition that comes with a revamped interiors and added convenience. The D-4D will probably outlast other engines and will serve you for a long time. You should have no problems with the parts, even if the production is stopped, as this engine does the duty in Corolla as well.

Thread Starter #13

Hi Rahul,
I would suggest you go for the S Cross. It's very well built , zeta variant which comes in your budget is well loaded too. If u find the performance too slow, u can always add a race chip or get a simple stage 1 remap done [:)]. Not to mention it would be very fuel efficient.
I know s-cross is a practical & no-nonsense car, but this is interesting which i never heard of. Will definitely think of s-cross then if something like this is stable and lasts long enough. Thanks for the suggestion

@ Rahul
A simple stage 1 remap probably would not have any effect on the engine. Maybe a kilometre per litre drop in efficiency can be expected.

Thread Starter #15
Okk, i took a long TD of Nexon diesel yesterday. Here is my experience :
- cabin feels more spacious and comfortable not as premium as ecosport but sporty
- Drove in both city mode as well as sports mode. City mode has linear as well as less power delivery & subsequently has less grunt as well. Sport mode has that turbo which everyone likes. Pickup suddenly increases in sports mode but engine noise increases as well which is heard in cabin. I was intentionally trying hard (touched 80 almost before 5th gear)
- Car felt stable at high speeds. Went till 120 but never felt uncomfortable. Even SA said to try braking as well as cutting to test ABS which inspired confidence
- while driving on highway, changed the mode from sports to city which caused less power delivery but as a driver you also get the feeling that power is not enough and if you stop putting foot on the pedal, engine noise also decreases considerably
- front view was good may be a little narrow than ecosport but still good. View from irvm was also good. C pillar does restricts the view and it will take sometime to get used too
- Though deiver seats were comfortable but felt had less under-tigh support than ecosport
- Experience with SA (Kranti from ventkatramana motors, gachibowli) was also good. He was patient and tried to give correct information at every step. One more thing, even these guyz at Tata motors are also aware of all the latest news around

Top Bottom