Need an Used MPV For Corporate / Marketing Purpose

Thread Starter #17

bhvm

Honoured Member
Hello Friends, I am back on this thread after a long time. And I also bring back some important changes. As below-

The talk-
With my recent meeting with my Sales team, they complained that a lot of time and energy was being wasted with public Transport. Which is really inefficient especially in rural parts. So after all this time pass, We decided that It was time to buck up and we seriously need a car to work efficiently. Which was difficult as my Company is already struggling with finances. But if waste time can be used to meet more clients, then why not, I thought.

The twist-
As it comes from the meeting that a change in work ways will be required. It came to my notice that my partner wants to travel along say once a week or so. For exploring new areas and meeting new clients. He has same fragile health as mine. So some Basic comfort and Working AC came into the list of basics. Some area is also for me, So I will also be traveling with sales team once a moon or so. As a result Status & Respect also came into play.

Budget & requirements
Due to financial constraints we are in, A shoe string budget of 1.5 lac (All encompassing) has been fixed. Which means buying vehicle near 100 or 120K will be better and rest will be spent on maintenance to bring back the car in shape.

A Basic, reliable SUV or MUV with Working AC, Comfortable seats and good space to carry luggage/Samples. I am not too bothered about any ancillary functions like Sound system, Fancy looks or anything.

Cutting Dead branches-

Ertiga- Way overpriced. Way too fragile. Unselected.

Xylo- Since past 6 months of my OLX research, All Xylos are either TP or have been unofficialy used in taxi segment. Private ones are rare and push the budget beyond reach.

Bolero- Old boleros are Non AC and are roughly used. Was a good prospect if not for the AC and comfort.

Prospects-

Scorpio 2.6L (years 2003 to 2006)-
Many are available on OLX for asking price of 2L. A little bargaining could get them down to say 160k. Scorp is more rugged and suspension lasts more than a safari. So I am tipping little more towards scorpio this time. However, finding a Reliable vehicle with Valid papers in my budget will require a lot of work

Safari TCIC 1.9L (years 2001 to 2005)-
Older safaris are available for as low as 120K asking price. Though finding clean one will take some searching. Generally mechanically solid. Acres of space. Insane STATUS. Need I say more?

The Safari 1948cc Is a basic, Non ecu engine which is supremely reliable and easy to Maintain. I myself have driven this engine for about 1.7 Lac KMs on ODO and there are no hiccups at all. It is underpowered, yes, But also Manages good FE, Which If I remember correctly will be about 13KMPL

Safari 3.0L DICOR (Years 2005 to 2009)-

These are also available for about 150k Asking. though Not cosmetically good, They should be reliable. The 3.0L is a proper truck engine and is works easily past 3L Kms like nothing. However, this is also the first engine where TATA tried to rig up a CRDI system with ECU and sensors. So If issues crop up with Injectors, Fuel pump or ECU its way too expensive to fix. Lack of Knowledge from TATA and the fact that these were made for only 2 years (05 to 07) Increases spare part problem.

FE of this engine is generally 10KMPL.

Points to Ponder-

Considering That these vehicles are already 10+ years old and even beyond, and with the knee jerk tomfoolery of current government, Does anyone have better Idea of Policies to come ahed?

Also, How expensive and hassle is it to get RC renewal+ Green TAX done on such vehicles if Papers are expired?

Thread Starter #18

Nairrk

Honoured Member
When talking about old vehicles, the Kerala Government recently came with a proposal to limit the age as 10 years for registration ( Link ) which means more and more vehicles will find difficult to survive in the 2nd hand market. Not sure if all other State governments will also follow similar rules sooner or later?

Since you have finance restrictions, going in for vessels under 10 years ruled out for the time being.

Let's see what others to comment on this?

Thread Starter #20

bhvm

Honoured Member
That is what I am worried about. And I wonder why there is no uprising against these stupid moves.

Nairrk

Honoured Member
The reason they say is that old vehicles pollute more but what we are seeing around are that mostly old trucks and buses are the one polluting which no one cares?

Well, first of all thanks @bhvm for calling me "expert" !!
Now coming to main topic, if i was in your place i would have looked at one of these options:
1. Safari: I can find 2005-2007 models for nearly 1.4-1.7 lacs here in punjab. This could fulfill requirement of space, comfort as well as the basic features you mentioned and would command the road wherever you go. BUT, you already have a beast standing in ya garage???

2. Scorpio: Pre 2005 models can be found for as low as 1.5-2 lacs.
Again this one would also fulfill requirement of space, comfort as well as the basic features.

Thread Starter #23

bhvm

Honoured Member
standing in ya garage???
Yes. That gives me confidence to buy one more as I know Tata mechanicals are strong. Its just electronics that have Niggles. If I get an Older safari with 1.9L engine, it has no ECU hence no Niggles.

BTW, this is for office use and will be given to my sales team. The sales team Carries product samples as wells as Repaired/Replacement/Warranty issue products as needed. Which travels roughly 300KM a day.

The beast Standing in My garage is a working 4x4 which is a very rare specimen. Also, all the restoration Job & paint I did, I want to enjoy it more myself than give it to anyone.

Thread Starter #25

bhvm

Honoured Member
Ain't Sumo a worthy inclusion to the list?
yes it is. Mechanically.
Prices of Well maintained SUMO and SAFARI are same. Sumo does not have the same respect, comfort and status as Safari has.
Also, Sumos are Non AC which means they are not in list.

deville_56

Honoured Member
yes it is. Mechanically.
Prices of Well maintained SUMO and SAFARI are same. Sumo does not have the same respect, comfort and status as Safari has.
Also, Sumos are Non AC which means they are not in list.
Friend got a Sumo Gold, which has AC and PS, used as both family car (10%) and goods transporter (90%). Abuse friendly and cheap.

Old gen Scorpio and Safari are safer bets than other choices, but I personally prefer Safari over Scorpio.
Most of the scorpios in market (initial batch) are with rusted A-Pillars (of course other areas as well)
You may consider Sumo Grande as well.

Friend got a Sumo Gold, which has AC and PS, used as both family car (10%) and goods transporter (90%). Abuse friendly and cheap.
Week sumo gold is a nice option, it does not come under 1.5 leave which is the budget expected by mr. @bhvm .

Old gen Scorpio and Safari are safer bets than other choices, but I personally prefer Safari over Scorpio.
Most of the scorpios in market (initial batch) are with rusted A-Pillars (of course other areas as well)
You may consider Sumo Grande as well.
Same goes for grande as well as it to is not under 1.5 lacs, good examples are well over 2.5 lacs.

Top Bottom