Need Advice: Speed / Xtra Premium Petrol Vs Normal Petrol

yeah i have noticed on my car when i fill in 97 octane i get better mileage and a smoother drive, while with 91 octane the mileage is down but smoothness varies according to brand.

Premium petrol means 98 Octane petrol
More octane = more efficient and the more carbon in the petrol makes a short layer of carbon (slippery layer) for pistons and cylinder area and car runs smooth and avoids over heating ( compared to normal petrol which is 91 octane)
Hi buddy, I guess here we are talking about premium petrol which is normal 91 Octane petrol with some additives added.

Hi buddy, I guess here we are talking about premium petrol which is normal 91 Octane petrol with some additives added.
thats unusual

Because I havent been to india for about 4 years

Premium means more octane value.
Same in australia / NZ

and In America / Canada when I went ther it was 94 /95 octane max premium

thats unusual

Same in australia / NZ

Xtra Premium is the brand name of petrol,it has really low amounts of fuel additives which we would usually add on our own.

thats unusual

Same in australia / NZ

True. But the great marketing chaps in India sell the same petrol/diesel with some additives and brand it as premium fuel.

97 Octane fuel in India is called just that - 97 Octane. And it is available in select petrol pumps.

its called speed 97 available at only 4-5 pumps out here in mumbai and priced 84/litre

by the way do we even know these guys put additives in the premium fuels out here?

As per wikipedia

'India: India's Ordinary And Premium Petrols are of 89–91 RON. The premium petrols are generally ordinary fuels with additives, that do not really change the octane value. Two variants, "Speed 93" and "Speed 97", were launched, with RON values of 93 and 97. India's economy-class vehicles usually have compression ratios under 10:1, thus enabling them to use lower-octane petrol without engine knocking.'

As per wikipedia

'India: India's Ordinary And Premium Petrols are of 89–91 RON. The premium petrols are generally ordinary fuels with additives, that do not really change the octane value. Two variants, "Speed 93" and "Speed 97", were launched, with RON values of 93 and 97. India's economy-class vehicles usually have compression ratios under 10:1, thus enabling them to use lower-octane petrol without engine knocking.'
Ya these Speed97 octane are mainly for imports cars,we use to use them on Superbikes here in Bangalore,on long trips if forced to used regular fuel,would keep the bikes at low rpms.Most of the Honda City vtecs & some advanced decent petrol engines here have Knock sensors so if one adds 93 octane it will have improvements,but fuel rating above that wont help,as some people imagine that if they add 97 octane for there petrol car immediately mileage or power will increase.
Some people who had no access to good octane fuels for there Superbikes would get octane boosters(never used them though).

yeah you can use octane boosters too.

My mate in canada owns a Silvia S14 S2 (Kouki) 240sx. He has turbo charged it with front mount intercooler and have used Nissan 200sx silvia's ECU (remapped) .

He uses normal 91 octane and adds the octane booster to increase carbon content.

I never used it nick bro , I think it should have that on the bottle itself. ? doesn't it say how many litres of petrol does one bottle treats?

i tried an stp octane booster once, nothing said just empty entire bottle into tank, no difference noted infact fe went down slightly, i think its 300rs/bottle while if i fill up with 97 octane fuel i pay 600 bucks more then normal fuel.

will try ows sometime. Thinking of buying some sea foam as a fuel system cleaner or chevron.

I wonder why Indian cars get messed up because they have lots of gray area when they make products or I must say replica's
Because the octane boosters we get here they generally say these things.

Pro-Strength Octane Booster
- Product (PSO - short form)

The extract is from website Nulon

Indicative RON increases:

Attachments

@codename47: That's true. Most of the people here buy the cheap replicas and they're of no use. And most of the guys who do get the original ones don't need it. When they see no significant boost in performance they start blaming the product. I do have my doubts about their (boosters) effectiveness though. Maybe it's good to use it as a way to raise the octane rating when high octane fuel is not available to prevent knocking.

It's better to pour the octane booster into the tank first and then fill petrol.

Experts recommend using the normal unleaded petrol for most of the cars in India. The engines can run without any problems on the normal unleaded petrol we get here. And they also recommend filling up with premium fuel (fuel with additives) once in a while to clean the injectors and all. Regular use is not necessary.

Top Bottom