Need Advice - Re-Registration Process with RTO KR Puram

Update: Mission "Almost" Accomplished. Yes, had submitted the final set of documents for New KA Number in RTO Office today.

Documents Required:

1. A Letter, requesting for a new number in KA
  2. Original RC Smart Card (KA one with old MH Number)
  3. Photocopy of RC Smart Card
  4. Photocopy of Insurance
  5. Photocopy of Emission Certificate
  6. File / Folder; Self Addressed Envelope with Stamp of Rs. 17 & Plastic Holder for keeping the original SC (All these are available in any Xerox Shops around there)

Process: (For New KA Number only)

• Meet the Superintend in the 2nd Floor for signature on the Request Letter along with the Fee Details for SC. The fee is Rs. 400 (327 for SC & 63 for Biometric)
  • Pay the fee (327) at the cash counter and get the receipt. Pay the other fees to the Biometric Counter (Room diagonally opp. to Cash Counter) and get the sticker on the SC Fee Receipt.
  • Meet the same Superintend again get the documents verified.
  • Submit all the documents to the person in the 2nd Floor (Non-Transport Section)
  • Receive the Acknowledgement.
Guys!! Need help..

I submitted my NOC(dated Apr2011) from Chennai RTO & also paid KA road Tax in Jan2012 (I received a KA Smart Card with TN registration from KA53). Unfortunately soon, I was frequently visiting Hosur,TN(deputation) so I didnt bother to reregister in BLR(avoid getting caught by TN). Now since I will be in Bangalore for sure, I would like to reregister here. Its now more than 2.5years( since jan2012) and was informed I need to reregister within 1 year. What is the penatly I will have to pay & also has my NOC become void even though I submitted it in Local KA53 RTO. I am also wondering is my vehicle unregistered for last 2 years as NOC was obtained which means TN can delete my reg from their records. I did have all the above documents in place in 2012 but didnt progress when I came to know of my deputation(Hosur).

Just to add my address has changed but within same RTO.

Regards,
Venky

Last edited:
Thread Starter #108
Guys!! Need help..

I submitted my NOC(dated Apr2011) from Chennai RTO & also paid KA road Tax in Jan2012 (I received a KA Smart Card with TN registration from KA53). Unfortunately soon, I was frequently visiting Hosur,TN(deputation) so I didnt bother to reregister in BLR(avoid getting caught by TN). Now since I will be in Bangalore for sure, I would like to reregister here. Its now more than 2.5years( since jan2012) and was informed I need to reregister within 1 year. What is the penatly I will have to pay & also has my NOC become void even though I submitted it in Local KA53 RTO. I am also wondering is my vehicle unregistered for last 2 years as NOC was obtained which means TN can delete my reg from their records. I did have all the above documents in place in 2012 but didnt progress when I came to know of my deputation(Hosur).

Just to add my address has changed but within same RTO.

Regards,
Venky
Hi Venky

Since you already have paid the KA Road Tax, no penalties should apply (logically speaking) and likewise, NOC won't be required again (by experience). You will need to submit the below listed documents for the new number.
  1. Original RC (KA one with TN Number)
  2. Copy of Insurance
  3. Copy of Emission Certificate
  4. Fee for Smart Card

First approach the RTO, with all these docs and check about the fees for new Smart Card. As you need to change the address, you will have to include the address proof and a relevant form (Form 28 I guess, check with RTO) with the above list. I think, it should be done with that and you will get a new SC with new number in a month's time.

If you find it to be difficult or not going to work at all, please take an agent's help. I know that's not something we should do or encourage, but that's just on worst case scenario as you will not have any other go!

Hi Venky

Since you already have paid the KA Road Tax, no penalties should apply (logically speaking) and likewise, NOC won't be required again (by experience).
Thanks Figoian for giving me confidence, I was doubtful as it was late by more than 2 years & I will end up paying any penalty in thousands so was avoiding to reregister but their was no penalty, Also since NOC already submitted & road tax paid earlier it turned out to be a Cake Walk.

All, Below is my Experience...Hope this helps for others...
Went to RTO @9:55AM place was empty, realized that the RTO is shifted another Half KM further in main road itself.

1) After Parking Outside, went to the out side shop for File & thread as all other documents were ready with me. Shopkeeper gave a brown sheet for Rs 5/- (which my kids use to cover the Notebook), Cannot call it as a File...[anger]
2) Entered office (10:15 AM) Put my Vehicle # on the Brown sheet & included all the documents as below.
a) Smart Card with TN # in Plastic pouch.
b) Green envolope (thread based) with Self address & 18/- stamp
c) Form CMV 27(taken from RTO website) filled Two forms, to be included with pencil impression of Chassis #(just in case). Also my PP photo in this form. One will be with New RTO, and other will be sent(by New RTO) to Old RTO for them to delete my TN# from their Rolls.
d) Bangalore smart card copy (with TN#)
e) Bangalore Road Tax Copy
f) Insurance Copy
g) PUC copy
h) Identity copy (I gave my DL)
i) Form 33 (taken from RTO website ) with 1 Photo in it.
j) Address Proof Copy
All Copies needs to be self attested with Date.

3) Second Floor Room#3 (first room in Left when you go up the staircase), Inside First Counter in Right, I was third in Queue, gave my file , On seeing a TN# on File he asked for NOC, I said already submitted earlier when Tax paid, He asked for a NOC copy which I showed him, then checked the Smart card date with Road tax date, went to another senior official(I got worried now if I will get a big penalty) that person said something in Kannada that sounded like "Its OK..he promptly paid road tax when he came to Bangalore"
From a distance the Sr. Officer informed me (Address change Maadi in DL also) I said OK Sir!!(I wonder if this is possible as my DL is from TN). He also said I will have a tough time getting Road Tax refund from TN as NOC is close to 3 years old. ([frustration]). NOC copy was not filed but returned back to me. Entry in red pen made, RR 200 - SC 137 - Biometric 63 - Addr change 20, Total 420/-
4) Ground floor Cash counter, only 2 were open second from left & first from right, I was second in Line(second from left counter). Paid the cash with exact change(420-63), got the receipt bill and filed both(original/carbon-copy) into the File, came out stood in line for biometric sticker which was quite long, paid the 63 for one small sticker(no thumb impression or digital photo taken, only applicable for DL) which was put in original bill (from Cash Counter)
5) Went back to 2nd floor same counter who verified the receipt & put his signature(as Superintendent was not available on Saturday) and asked me to give in next counter in Left
6) Madam there asked me to get a serial # written in the original bill from Data entry area in same Room
7) Came back to Madam with serial # & submitted again the file, She patiently went thro all the copies and forms submitted, I had missed mentioning Date in few forms which she filled for me. Also verified the address in Form33 with Address Proof, Asked for my mobile # and filled it in the Envelope. Next prepared a Acknowledgement and gave it to me, said it would take 20-25 days for the SC to be received @ ur address.

Checked my watch, it was 11AM I came down & saw both Cash counter & Biometric Room had a long Queue like waiting for Thirumala Darshan [lol]

I feel the process is well stream lined & also I dont see a need for any Agents help in this RTO. I did observed a few issues with other ppl as they had come for paying only Road Tax but the Counter officer was asking for NOC, & sending them back politely(may be they need to approach Agents), few who had a PUC original from their home city (without NOC) he was accepting their File, I think they need the exact date when you came to Bangalore to decide on the depreciation Percentage while calculating Road Tax and hence this problem.

Question: I wonder why they take (137/-)for new SC cost as I have returned the KA SC Card(with TN#) which I think will be reused. Also Biometric sticker says "SC Issue Cost" (63/-) which I believe is for data entry into the new SC Chip/printing.

Now waiting for new SC Card with KA53 #, Fingers Crossed!!

Next to try my luck in getting the refund in TN RTO, on my next visit to chennai, those officers are real short tempered saying this is not there, wrong info, take help from Agents. I got my NOC there with help of a agent for filing (gave him 300 for consultation/forms) but I had to run up & down to various counters, Agent was asking for 1500(this was in 2011) for taking care of everything .

Regards,
Venky

Last edited:
Waited for 1 and a half month, no Speed Post came so went to RTO last week, Second Floor Room#3 (first room in Left when you go up the staircase), Looked into my Acknowledgement, & suggested me to visit the opposite room. Went there, they had my file, it seems the boy received the file just one day before, (took 1.5 months for my file to move from 1 room to opposite room). Informed me the new # would be allotted this week & it would take another 1 month for me to receive the new Smart Card... :( :(

Hi every one,
It is very encouraging to see many of you doing the Re-registration on your own in bangalore. This actually gives me the confidence and give it a shot. So Three Cheers to all of you!!!
I am currently in Gurgaon and will be relocating to bangalore. However I need to take the decision wether I should sell my car in gurgaon or bring it with me in bangalore. This decision will depend on the amount of Tax that i will have to pay. Can somebody please let me know the approximate amount. This will help me in decision making.
I have a SX4 which is Nov2009 model. Assuming the original invoice value to be 10lacs, what would be the approximate tax payable now.??
Thanks & regards
Amandeep

Thread Starter #112
This decision will depend on the amount of Tax that i will have to pay. Can somebody please let me know the approximate amount. This will help me in decision making.
I have a SX4 which is Nov2009 model. Assuming the original invoice value to be 10lacs, what would be the approximate tax payable now.??
Thanks & regards
Amandeep
As you can see in my older posts, that's the most toughest calculation, even a CA graduate will fail! [lol] But don't ask me then the Superintend in RTO is smarter than CAs... mmm hmmm....

It's based on invoice value and depreciation is counted against each year. Up to 1 year is 100%, 1-2 Yrs is 90% or so, and so on... Don't remember the exact %, it's available on a deeper google search though. Alternatively, call up an RTO agent in Bangalore and share your car details to get an approximate figure. That may help you to get a better idea.

Thanks & regards
Amandeep
Since its 5year old, depriciation is 69% assuming vehicle invoice is close to 10L.
6.9L * 14% = 95k. (+/- 2k)

This is how calculation happened for my car...

Hi Amandeep,

Welcome to Bangalore !!! I too had transfered my Gurgaon Vehicle to Bangalore and was hell of money to be oaid for the road conditions here ... anyways !! would be glad to help you out.
Cost of your car would be ex-showroom price plus the 12.5% Service tax plus the 5% surcharge. AS was in my case My Swift VDI ex showroom was 4.6 adding all it come to 5.28. Your have to get the approx value
the calculation would go like this
Cost of your car : 5L-10L = 14%
Cost of your car : 10L-15L = 17%
Then Depreciate the above value by 69% ( thats is for vehicle between 5-6 yrs old)
The Add a Cess of 11% on the amount

Eg: If your cars cost is 9,50,000
then, 14% of 9,50,000 = 1,33,000
Depreciate 69% of 1,33,000 = 91,770
Cess of 11% on 91,770 = 10,094.70 ( 10,095 )
your taxable amount is 1,01,865

Hope this helps. I remeber this very nicely as have a few pics of how they calculated for my car

@ guru 1234 I would suggest you to sell your vehicle in gurgaon and get a fresh vehicle here. Karnataka is the top most in collecting road tax and regarding the tax calculation TJXC32M has explained it beautifully so that even a layman can understand how its done. now how do i say its wise to part from your vehicle in gurgaon is from experience. I used to be in Chandigarh and had a 2003 santro came to karnataka my home state in 2007 had paid a tax of 33,700 as road tax as per the calculation. and to get the paper transfered to Karnataka number it took me 1.5 years of paperwork only. no time wasting on my part.all the trips that i had to make to the local RTO and all the phone calls to CHD RTO agent all this was getting too much. that's the reason i suggest the best is to sell it Gurgaon and come here and purchase another one.bcoz once you get the NOC, the RTO in blore will send it back to your RTO thats Gurgaon and wait for six months for any report to come in. and once the report comes in it takes another 2 months to get your paperwork forward. After your paperwork is forwarded it takes another month or two to get a Karnataka number and then another month or so for you to receive the smart-card. so this is the whole process. would you like to go through it is your wish completely.

Amandeep, Incarnation is right in a way. Since Bangalore is the highest paid road tax in india and paying 1 lakh for a 5-6 year old vehicle would be something to think on. I too was suggested this but since i am settling down in Bangalore its fine to go ahead and use the car and recover the money you paid in tax.
My idea is decide if you are going to stay here for good long time, then its wise to buy a new car. But if you are here for few years, can probably then manage somehow, i guess. I have seen several vehicle from other states as in Delhi, Odhisa, Bihar, Punjab which are far off states, they can't even justify that they are here for some road trip, as compared to near by adjoining states. But again its all luck, i remember with a few months of coming here i was caught by traffic cops, as i had no idea of the signals here. they just gave a ticket for jumping red light, nothing else that too when my car had the old HR number. Another incident, a friend of mine with GJ registration was caught after 2 years, they took his papers and had to pay the full road tax.

My point is its all on luck and what drive the traffic cops are doing would decide your fate with road tax.

P.S: if you are going to get the car here with NOC from Gurgaon, PLEASE go ahead with registration first or with every delay of Months form your NOC issued date there will a penalty too on that

Congrats for the second experience. And also how was the experience in the RTO there. By the way is it HR - 26/51/53. If HR 53 any idea of how or what the procedure is get the refund, as i am yet to file for the refund.

Congrats for the second experience. And also how was the experience in the RTO there. By the way is it HR - 26/51/53. If HR 53 any idea of how or what the procedure is get the refund, as i am yet to file for the refund.
Thanks Jolly, the experience was almost the same - only difference was that I was able to speak the language this time. It is HR51 for FBD. I did ask (just out of curiosity, actually) about the refund procedure - they said that there is no such procedure here because of the low taxes, but I would take whatever they say with a pinch of salt.

Great, and i hope the number stays for long !!! Yes i too don't remember how much the tax i paid there but its far far less compared to Bangalore. My guess is about 10-15K.

In my Opinion - As long as one keeps driving, one in some way compensates for the tax paid, any more over it keeps you blended with the crowds, rather than standing out.

Top Bottom