Need Advice - Re-Registration Process with RTO KR Puram

Thread Starter #31
Hey,
Today I went back to RTO KR Puram to apply for a Karnataka number for my car. Last time when went there, I paid LTT and then got my car registered in KA (i.e. registered in KA, but with old DL number). I was told to show up after 3 months for this. Though I kind of liked (and more importantly, remembered too) my DL wallah-number, but I’ve been told that DL folks won’t bother to return the tax paid there without this.
Superb Mahajan. Wish you all the very best. Sorry that I couldn't join you today. However, I am going to do it in sometime this week.

Welcome to Bangalore... My comments are inline (Bold).
Hi, just joined in to TAI. saw your thread on re-registration in KR Puram RTO. I too want to get my car re-reg. wanted to know how tough is it going on your own and what all preparation should be done document wise or to go for an agent [cry]

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #34
Hi, just joined in to TAI. saw your thread on re-registration in KR Puram RTO. I too want to get my car re-reg. wanted to know how tough is it going on your own and what all preparation should be done document wise or to go for an agent [cry]
Firstly, Welcome to TAI and Bangalore [:D]

If you go thru the entire thread, you can really understand the whole process (rather, pains) involved. However, that's an experience as well.

DIY or Agent, well, it depends. If you are person, would like to experience and do things yourself, you can try. Or, if don't have "that much" patience or most importantly time to take this headache, you better can approach an agent.

One happiness of doing it ourselves is that, we may avoid some bribery at least in our case. Just if possible... BTW, the agent may charge about 5 - 6K which includes the bribes he would pay to the officers as well.

Thanks for the reply. In fact i was inspired by the experience mentioned on the thread. My vehicle is Ballabgarh, HR registered number. Had some issue with the RC as the RTO had wrongly updated hypothecated to ICICI Bank, where as the car was paid in cash ... and that was something that i came to know a year back when went to the NOC. But somehow got the matter resolved and am expecting the documents by this weekend. The more i find detail on the details and the procedure the more confused i get.
One is regarding Road tax .... where is the information or document that shows the tax was paid in Haryana in my case. My RC dosent show anything of such ( Since i filled the form 28 for NOC, had no clue about it and as to how much amount was it ). Read somewhere that you need this too to get the re-registration of car ... is that so ?. And if i need it whom or how am i supposed to get it ( should i ask the dealership or near a trip to the Ballabgarh RTO ). And have no clue on how much the tax was paid.
Since i read mahajany's experience and the detailed info was impressed and thought of having a visit in KR Puram RTO. and since the car is in my wife's name i guess the two of can run around and shared the load [:)].
- How do we get to know the amount to be paid in tax ? ( a site or is it safe to visit the RTO office a day before and get to know the amount )
- IS it really true that the tax is calculated on the amount that includes the vehicle price + surcharge on VAT @ 5% + VAT @ 12.5% ( that's what my vehicle invoice show ) ... so the difference comes up to around 62,000 [surprise] and that will also be included on the LTT to be paid in Bangalore.

Thread Starter #36
Thanks for the reply. In fact i was inspired by the experience mentioned on the thread. My vehicle is Ballabgarh, HR registered number. Had some issue with the RC as the RTO had wrongly updated hypothecated to ICICI Bank, where as the car was paid in cash ... and that was something that i came to know a year back when went to the NOC. But somehow got the matter resolved and am expecting the documents by this weekend.
Ohhh... That's sad. Anyways, good that it's solved now.

The more i find detail on the details and the procedure the more confused i get.
One is regarding Road tax .... where is the information or document that shows the tax was paid in Haryana in my case. My RC dosent show anything of such ( Since i filled the form 28 for NOC, had no clue about it and as to how much amount was it ).
Check the RC, it would have been mentioned as "Tax Paid Upto: LTT". That means, tax paid up to Life Time, which is nothing but the registration validity.

Read somewhere that you need this too to get the re-registration of car ... is that so ?. And if i need it whom or how am i supposed to get it ( should i ask the dealership or near a trip to the Ballabgarh RTO ). And have no clue on how much the tax was paid.
Yes. Re-registration process is of 3 folds. First, you need get the NOC from the Home RTO. Second, you need to pay the appropriate tax amount. This will be calculated by the Superintendent in the respective RTO office. Make a DD for that amount and submit it along with the required documents. Maybe after a month or two, you will get a new RC Smart Card with the same old number. As a final step, you should apply for a new number as Re-registration after 3 months of receipt of new Smart Card. Once the new number is issued, which may take about a month, the whole process is completed.

Later then, you may apply for Tax Refund from the previous RTO. However, I am unaware of the success rate on the same [;)].

Since i read mahajany's experience and the detailed info was impressed and thought of having a visit in KR Puram RTO. and since the car is in my wife's name i guess the two of can run around and shared the load.
Actually, you can't choose the RTO office, rather need to visit the respective RTO of your jurisdiction. Please refer the RTO website for the same.

- How do we get to know the amount to be paid in tax ? ( a site or is it safe to visit the RTO office a day before and get to know the amount )
- IS it really true that the tax is calculated on the amount that includes the vehicle price + surcharge on VAT @ 5% + VAT @ 12.5% ( that's what my vehicle invoice show ) ... so the difference comes up to around 62,000 [surprise] and that will also be included on the LTT to be paid in Bangalore.
Explained above. Yes, the calculation is something like that. The actual valuation of the vehicle is based on and varies with the invoice value - depreciation (no of years) + penalty (no of months since the NOC issued by the Home RTO) etc. Mr. Ramanujam (RTO Superintend) [lol] will work out that amount for you.

Mission: Getting my Vehicle Re-registered in Bangalore.
Pre-Planning: Getting and knowing the procedure of the same and getting more confused with the process. Asking friends who had no clue about the registration process .... then bombared back with question .. why do u have to !! ... leave it man !! ... just hand over a "sau ka pathi" .... you paid the road tax once you should not paid it again .... why are you paying so much tax in Bangalore .... and on and on ... What to tell them .. " This is India .. thats what the rule say's so be it. At last internet, sitting for hours on what's and how. Thanks to @ figoian for the thread and even a million thanks to @ Mahajany for the detailed description and giving the courage that YES things can be done in Government office, all one needs it " Nahi aaj tho kar ke rahunga ye kaam".
Scene 1: Plotting ... getting familiar with the place and getting all possible info on Where & How
Today visited the KR Puram RTO office ( which is the RTO for my place checked it on the RTO site ). Lot of activity for the RTO office which seems to unusual place for such an office .. but this is the place to get licence to drive. Checked out all the possible shops and Xerox shops. Zeroed in one of the Shop that towards the right side of the office main entrance. Started the mission with a cup of hot tea ( from the same shop ) observed what going on and which type of people are coming. By the time my tea was over i got the entire list what i needed as mentioned by Mahajany. From 27, KMV 27, Form 33 & Form 14 alonf with File, tag & the transparent ply bag ( million thanks again mahajany for the details [clap] ) As shown in the pic, as i was confused with file, the pic can be helpful for people who are venturing into the RTO for the same.
At Last ready with all the paper ( and some extra KMV 27 as mahajany mentioned ) went inside the RTO just to check out the office and rooms and the stair where will have to do the running around.
So all set now that i know the playgrounds ..... I'll be back.

@ Figoian. The tax part that i talked about, i checked my RC it dsn't say anything about the tax on the back side on the last line it say "Road tax upto" is the same as LTT !?! IMG_0445.jpg
@ Figoina this is what i was talking about and the wrong Hypothecation [anger]
RC Back.jpg

Last edited:
Thread Starter #38
Fantastic. We have one more DIY Enthu for RTO work [clap].

So what is the status now? You got the Road Tax amount calculated and documents verified?

@ Figoian. The tax part that i talked about, i checked my RC it dsn't say anything about the tax on the back side on the last line it say "Road tax upto" is the same as LTT !?! View attachment 97179

@ Figoina this is what i was talking about and the wrong Hypothecation [anger]
View attachment 97180
That's strange. Why wouldn't it have the Road Tax details? I have / had a Bike & Car in both Maharashtra & Karnataka states and been issued with RC SCs. All of it have this details clearly as "LTT". Is it again an error like your Hypothecation case? Sorry, I don't want to scare you, but can't guess it. If possible, check with someone else's RC issued from the same state.

Thread Starter #39
That's strange. Why wouldn't it have the Road Tax details? I have / had a Bike & Car in both Maharashtra & Karnataka states and been issued with RC SCs. All of it have this details clearly as "LTT". Is it again an error like your Hypothecation case? Sorry, I don't want to scare you, but can't guess it. If possible, check with someone else's RC issued from the same state.
I just checked the pic once again. It says "Previous Details is any" and Reg No, Name, Address & Road Tax details. So that's got to do with any previous registrations done and not applicable in your case. However, the Road Tax details of your present registration should have been mentioned somewhere in your RC. But where??? [surprise]

Eureka !!! Mission phase 1 complete .. Just got the NOC and the how dispute settle about the hypothecation. Learned one thing too that " there is no Road tax detail mention in the RC if here is a hypotecation. Had tried to contact all possible people in Gurgaon to check for thr road tax details on the RC but was waste. Now that i have the RC back it shows detail of the road tax @ Figoian ( The RC this time is a coloured paper with the rectified Hypothecation .. and it says something bla bla through a stamp Bangalore is hand written that all that matters ). Attaching the detail.
IMG_0494.jpg

Any idea if i delay the process of re registration for a month, would that attract a penalty ?

[glasses] too many gyans and too many suggestion.
@ Figoian, is it true that the calculation of tax is not on ex-showroom but it also includes the VAT and surcharge on the car !!!!! ( to who every i tell about the re registration process all are trying to put their input and logic [surprise] )
And also the penalty is based on the time the NOC is issued from RTO .. right ( like in my case the NOC is dated 28/6/2013 and say suppose i get the registeration process on the month of August, i would be penalized for the month of July ...

Thread Starter #43
@ Figoian, is it true that the calculation of tax is not on ex-showroom but it also includes the VAT and surcharge on the car !!!!! ( to who every i tell about the re registration process all are trying to put their input and logic)
I guess, it's including all of that. Pardon my memory.

And also the penalty is based on the time the NOC is issued from RTO .. right ( like in my case the NOC is dated 28/6/2013 and say suppose i get the registeration process on the month of August, i would be penalized for the month of July ...
Yes. It's from the date of issue of NOC from Home RTO till the date Road Tax is paid in the new RTO.

MY Further research made me [cry] and [lol]. its about road tax amount. Since Bangalore is said to be the place where road tax is highest , but the roads are same as anywhere in india. Just checked the Haryana RTA website its syas about road tax .... hold on
One time road tax as applicable.
Rs.2000/- for vehicles having value upto 4 lacs.
1% for vehicles having value more than 4 lacs and upto 10 lacs.
1½% for vehicles having value above 10 lacs.

Just read an article in TOI on net its dated 30 Mar 2013 " Haryana to revise road tax"

Road Tax

Two-wheelers
Up to Rs 20,000: 2%
Rs 20,000 to Rs 60,000: 4%
Rs 60,000 to Rs 2 lakh: 6%
Above 2 lakh: 8%

Cars
Upto Rs 6 lakh: 3%
Rs 6 lakh-10 lakh: 6%
Above Rs 20 lakh: 9%

[frustration]
This is where my car came from

Why so much difference. As per this i just paid road tax of just under 6k !!!!!!!!!

Hi Figoina / Mahajany,
Was just trying to get the mullah arranged for the LLT. Help me out if you guys recollect the calculation on the From 14.
Invoice Price: 5,28,411.88 ( including VAT & Surcharge )
14% for Car Above 5L and less than 10L = 73,978
87% for Car More than 2 yrs but less than 3 yrs = 64,361
Now is there any Cess added to the amount like 10% or so !!!! ( that would be additional 6436 !!! )

Top Bottom