Need Advice On Buying a New Car

I would suggest better to avoid Maruti cars. Not a trust worthy brand.
I don't understand your dislike of Maruti. I have a Maruti Suzuki Ciaz, I think it's a great car, comfortable, quite spacious and relatively fast. At the same time, for a reasonable price[confused]

Last edited by a moderator:
That's what I say. I just wanted to keep it short. If I start penning then list, then it will be a big post.
1. They provide old tech and old engines despite charging premium on nexa brands.
2. They have utter disregard for Indian people and manufacture the new swift for just 2 stars of safety where the old one itself scored 3 with airbags. Other manufacturers are doing their max efforts to increase their crash ratings.
3. Interior quality is just pathetic with same old materials and age old design. And oh my god! The same old crappy flimsy buttons and knobs for the power window and mirror controls right from the 2005 swift to the celerio and the "premium" S Cross! Certainly not worth the money.
4. Build quality for daily use on Indian roads is pathetic on new models. It would seriously piss me off when by even just leaning on the car would cause a big dent. Imagine what would happen with our road's cyclists and bikers!! Glad my Ertiga fares better than the current Marutis.
5. Is it just me or do really all the Maruti cars look weird and stupid. The current crop of Maruti cars, starting from the Baleno don't at all look impressive or not even close. All the new cars are trying to imitate lithe designs and feel and look weird on road. Other manufacturers designs atleast have their original character and personality when seen on road.
6. Maruti is not cheap in service. I pay atleast 12000 for every service of my Ertiga and my Ertiga has done just 55000 and never used rough. Driven by 90% only me.
Now I think these are enough reasons.,
If I find the materials used in a car is cheaper than what I have to pay for it. Then I will say "Not VFM", instead of the usage "not trust worthy".
Anyways, No offense. To each his own. [:)]

Point no.6
I would like to inform you, next time onwards try to get informed about the required services for your car prior to the visit and just do the needful. Or try changing the service center. 12k for a "well driven car" is way too high. Seems like they are looting you.

Stick strictly to the manufacturer recommended services if your car doesn't ask for something more.

Whenever I feel cheated by the service center and talking the same to them doesn't made any sense. The manufacturer maruti became "trust worthy" for me when I shoot an email to maruti informing the same. Not just once but many times.

Could you share couple of your last few service bills? Or say what are the extra works required to your ertiga on every services?

My understanding is when the customers try to sell his maruti car, he tend to find his car has slightly more value and more demand than other branded cars. This can be the reason for the customers to prefer a maruti car.

Regards
Kiran.

Last edited:
I don't understand your dislike of Maruti. I have a Maruti Suzuki Ciaz, I think it's a great car, comfortable, quite spacious and relatively fast. At the same time, for a reasonable price[confused]
First of all, I will give credit to Maruti Engineers for extracting the best power-cum-mileage out of Fiat's 1.3L Multijet diesel engine, which even Fiat engineers could not (or was it did NOT want to ? ) achieve. Their K-Series Petrol engines are Gems. On top of all, THAT massive Service Network.

Now, I will attack. I for one, absolutely HATE Maruti Suzuki. Reasons ? Many...

1. Maruti Hype : General Public (upgrading from 2W to 4W) thinks that to maintain Cars other than Maruti Cars is a very very costlieeeeeeee affair. With the savings made at Maruti A$$ Bills, I hope many have bought individual Islands in the Caribbean... Okay Okay Okay, at least an additional 1 BHK house ??!! For servicing my old Matiz (Daewoo shut shop in 2002), I was paying around Rs.5,000 per year till 2012. While I needed to visit A$$ once every 10,000 km, owners of 1999 Year Zen (also Alto/M-800) needed to visit once every 5,000 km. On top of that, sooooo many Maruti owners go to a FNG rather than to the Maruti A$$. Why FEAR Maruti A$$ ???
  2. J.D.Power India customer service index : In 2015, Maruti was number 1 for 16th consecutive year (link). In 2016, it was joint #1 (link). In 2017, dropped to 2nd place (link). This year in 2018, Maruti is at 8th place (link) way behind Hyundai, Tata, Mahindra, Ford, Toyota, Datson, Honda. I guess Maruti owners are talking Truth NOW and it shows in the Survey Result. Also other OEMs are concentrating more on A$$.
  3. Mentality of Maruti owners : Sizable number of Maruti Car owners talk negatively about other Manufacturers' Cars. In my opinion, the most affected are TATA and Fiat Cars. Sooooooooo much negative was said about Indica and Vista, but I don't see these two Cars on the roadside in break-down condition. Sooooooo much was said about TATA's Taxi image but now I see lots and lots of Swifts, Ritz & Dzires used by Cab Operators. This Taxi image is OK with same people now, as they are on their way to book a Swift or Dzire. The next affected lot are "Figo, Aspire, Ameo". Such a poor perspective has been created in the market by these people, without even driving these cars for once. If Ciaz were introduced by Tata or Fiat or Ford, it would have flopped like Tata Manza or Fiat Linea ... big size with weak engines ; I am pretty sure of it. The owners do it for the love of Maruti Brand, and hence I Hate that Brand.
  4. Lousy Pricing (decades ago) : PSU and Market Leader in terms of Sale, Maruti was looting Customer for years, till few Communist Party MPs questioned Maruti's Pricing Policy in Parliament (sometime in mid 90s), forcing Maruti to lower prices by 8-10% for M-800. My take-home Salary in mid 90s was around Rs 4,000/-. In those days Rs 15,000/- meant a lot to a Middle Class people and Maruti was coolly pocketing it.
  5. Leader not changing the Market : Majority changes in Indian Auto sector were created by OTHER Manufacturers, while Maruti simply followed. The "MPFi Petrol engines, 5 Gears, Fit and Finish, Tall Boy design" etc in entry level Cars was introduced by Hyundai and Daewoo. Maruti joined. In fact, the launch of Santro and Matiz helped Maruti customers to get better Tech and more features from Maruti.
  6. Safety : Maruti cars lagging in safety has been discussed at length in many threads in many forums. For YEARS, ABS was not offered in Swift VXi trim !!! I am not sure, but I think Airbags were also NOT available, in VXi. A fast Hatch without standard safety equipment. In my opinion, except few models, most of Maruti made Cars are Dubbas.
  7. Copy Cat : Maruti mostly waited for others to launch Style and Features and simply copied. Hyundai came up with Santro in 1997 and Maruti outs Wagon-R the next year. Hyundai lets out the Eon in 2011, and Maruti follows it with Celerio in 2014. When launched in 2014, Ciaz's rear looked a lot like City.

Some market leader, Maruti is... Like some Popular, Corrupted and CONVICTED Politicians in India enjoying massive support from voting Public [frustration]

Last edited by a moderator:
I also decided to move away from Maruti personally despite some opposition from family (Maruti brand value, known comfort factor, resale factor, well established ASS etc), because of the safety issues. On the whole, the "cheap to maintain" of Maruti seems a myth except probably the Alto and for older-gen cars like M800 / Zen etc.

Except the resale value, which I admit is Maruti's strong suit. As long as the market is like it is now, Maruti cars will always fetch good resale.

These 7-8 lac budgets are very interesting because by adding just about 1-1.5 lac, you get so many other choices. Ford Freestyle would be one such choice, so would be a Honda Jazz, which is a much better car overall than a Baleno.

These 7-8 lac budgets are very interesting because by adding just about 1-1.5 lac, you get so many other choices. Ford Freestyle would be one such choice, so would be a Honda Jazz, which is a much better car overall than a Baleno.
Honda jazz is an excellent car/

Thread Starter #22
Hi Friends As I am going to Purchase Baneno Delta for this Dussehra
Dealer is offering 15k less for BS4 vehicle (may he want to get his old stock to be cleared) When compared to BS6.And he is insisting to take BS4 vechie
Now my query is
Should I go for BS4 or Bs6 (15k less and Accessories for BS4)
Planning to go for PEARL PHONIX RED Colour And is that colour is difficult to maintain
As I am not having proper Parking place in my area I have to park under tree or I have to cover with car cover.doing so will fade that colour or should I go for silver

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
In this time of slowdown he's giving just 15k discounts ? Check the website Maruti Suzuki's Luxury Cars in India: Price, Car Models, Dealers | NEXA
The offer are valid on bs 6 vehicles from maruti. Ask for atleast 50k discount and then he will adjust for 40k for the bs4. Also get insurance from outside , you will save another 7-8k. And yes you can buy your own insurance even if the dealer says no.

Get a good car cover and paint will not be affected.

Top Bottom