Need Advice on Buying a Car under 2 Lakhs

Thread Starter #1
Greetings TAIns,

I am planning to sell my Hyundai Accent CRDi (2006) for around 3.5L(due to some fin.cruch) and buy some other used car for 2L (preferable diesel if I could find a good one).

By the way during the course of my search of a budget second hand car. I came across some ads for Opel Astras (1996 petrol and a 2001 diesel). Are they good buy? I mean what about availability of spare parts and maintenance. Is it a negative factor which I could consider. By the way these cars are going dirt cheap. The petrol one for 60k and the diesel for 1L.

Also, please advise what used cars (preferably diesel and sedan, phew!!! I know I'm trying to reach for the moon with a paupers budget but I wanna give it a try before I settle down with a petrol car ) can I look at in my limited budget of 2L.

Thanks a lot in advance [:)]

Last edited:
Re: Need Advise on Buying a Car under 2 Lakhs

Hello welcome to TAI. If i were you i would retain the Accent CRDI if it's in a good running condition.

Some of the diesel sedans you can search for are Lancer , Ikon and Indigo. Lancer is a bit tough to maintain and it's FE must be less than what you get in FE. TATA'S are best avoided when it comes to used cars. A well maintained Ikon is what you need but i don't know if it's going to be to easy to find. If you don't mind looking at hatches search for a Palio.

Opel Astra's are best avoided , spares are difficult to procure , you will end up with your car in workshop more than on road!

As your main purpose is of using a diesel car within a limited budget you may find good old Indicas,Refer classifieds,or sulekha,Quickr, you will find too many individuals posting their ads,if you find the ad interesting then caontact them,conduct a thorough check and buy any one if you are interested.

If petrol bug comes into your head,then you can consider buying a new nano Base version.

Thread Starter #6

Hello welcome to TAI. If i were you i would retain the Accent CRDI if it's in a good running condition.

Some of the diesel sedans you can search for are Lancer , Ikon and Indigo. Lancer is a bit tough to maintain and it's FE must be less than what you get in FE. TATA'S are best avoided when it comes to used cars. A well maintained Ikon is what you need but i don't know if it's going to be to easy to find. If you don't mind looking at hatches search for a Palio.

Opel Astra's are best avoided , spares are difficult to procure , you will end up with your car in workshop more than on road!
@vishwas - thank you vishwas. will surely look into it. Petrol seems like a sensible choice if the running is low and going on a short budget.
@cooldhaya ---perfectly agreed buddy.Found your advise to be very true regarding the Opels, maybe thats why they are selling for so low. By the way how about a Palio Petrol? is it a reliable car, I mean it is out of production now, what about the spares? Any advise is highly appreciated.

Greetings TAIns,

I am planning to sell my Hyundai Accent CRDi (2006) for around 3.5L(due to some fin.cruch) and buy some other used car for 2L (preferable diesel if I could find a good one).
If you are ok with petrols than nothing can beat Honda City and Swift petrol, those will be less on maintenance cost front and parts will be easy to find. I don't think there is any difficulty to find one of these in 2-2.5 lakhs.

A TATA will do good in terms of FE and if can find one from reliable source than nothing wrong with them too as again parts will be easy to find. Renault Logan is also a good bet.

Stay away from Opels and Fiats, find parts will be a big headache as you'll be getting out of production cars.

Last edited:

If you are okay with Petrol then look at Honda City , you will get OHC in your budget , maybe you have to increase a little. No experience with Fiat so can't comment on Palio.

There are many hatchbacks from Maruti to choose from if you are looking at Petrol.

Also one suggestion , if you are okay with a Nano , then mind considering a brand new Nano?

350Z

Core Team
You’re better off retaining the Accent CRDi. Given that its maintenance isn’t getting expensive and only diesel sedan is what you are looking for. It could be difficult to find some reliable diesel car in this budget. Get newer pre-owned Indica V2 otherwise if it has to be the hatchback. How much is your running. May I ask? The number of options will increase in Petrol.

By the way during the course of my search of a budget second hand car. I came across some ads for Opel Astras (1996 petrol and a 2001 diesel). Are they good buy? I mean what about availability of spare parts and maintenance. Is it a negative factor which I could consider. By the way these cars are going dirt cheap. The petrol one for 60k and the diesel for 1L.
Cheap cars aren’t always the best. Opel were infamous for their expensive maintenance. I’m sure you can visualize the situation, now that it is a history.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Top Bottom