Need a Single-Din Head Unit

Thread Starter #1
Your Car: Maruti Suzuki A-Star VXI (2011)

> Budget Range: ~5k

> Looking For (Full Setup, Head Unit etc.) : Only Head Unit

> Preferred Brands (If any): Sony or pioneer or any I don't know which is good

> Preferred Music Genre: EDM, Pop, Dance Pop, Jazz and Country.

> Existing Audio Setup: Factory Head Unit Maruti Nippon, Sony co-axials at front, factory speakers (nippon) at back.

> Misc. Details / Specific Questions:

Hello, I want to upgrade the head unit of my vehicle and I am not sure which to buy.
I have a specific need of bluetooth connectivity with an iPhone should be supported. I tried using the aux port of the factory unit but the sound quality is worst. And I don't want any adapters or accessories as the sound quality isn't gonna change. Although there's a white color port at the back of the HU and I read someone mentioning it as an Apple accessory port.

Your Car: Maruti Suzuki A-Star VXI (2011)

> Budget Range: ~5k

> Looking For (Full Setup, Head Unit etc.) : Only Head Unit

> Preferred Brands (If any): Sony or pioneer or any I don't know which is good

> Preferred Music Genre: EDM, Pop, Dance Pop, Jazz and Country.

> Existing Audio Setup: Factory Head Unit Maruti Nippon, Sony co-axials at front, factory speakers (nippon) at back.

> Misc. Details / Specific Questions:

Hello, I want to upgrade the head unit of my vehicle and I am not sure which to buy.
I have a specific need of bluetooth connectivity with an iPhone should be supported. I tried using the aux port of the factory unit but the sound quality is worst. And I don't want any adapters or accessories as the sound quality isn't gonna change. Although there's a white color port at the back of the HU and I read someone mentioning it as an Apple accessory port.
5k is a pretty tight budget for a single DIN HU with features that you demand. I have no idea about Apple compatibility, but I would suggest generally for only bluetooth feature. Other experts can help on this part.

Under 5k, the only good brands available are Blaupunkt, Pioneer and JVC. Blaupunkt Cupertino 220 has an iPod/iPhone music playback functionality (via wire) and Sony A55BT has bluetooth playback functionality. Both will come around 6k. If you can increase your budget to ~7k, you can have JVC and Pioneer units with bluetooth. Further you can have 2DIN ones if you can spend more.

Thread Starter #3
Hello. I want to know about the Blaupunkt Tokyo 110 HU. Some reviews say it is compatible with iPhone via USB. If any one knows about this please tell.
Is blaupunct good or I should go for the Pioneer mvt-x179ui, because this is also compatible with iPhone. I don't want bluetooth I just want iPhone connectivity via USB.

I doubt Pioneer/Sony anymore producing single din with BT connectivity. If it is, it may not support CD/DVD player. You will only have to rely in USB/MMC.

You may get older model with BT & CD/DVD support. Also check out at retails stores for other brands like Blaupunkt, Alpine, JVC etc.

You can also check for ONLINE store like Snapdeal, Ebay, Amazon.

Thread Starter #8
I went to a dealer and he told me to install sony unit if I am not installing an Amp. Said pioneer will be great if you have an amp but sony will do fine without amp. Is this true?
And by the way I don't want Bluetooth models. Only need USB/IPOD/AUX .
There are two such products:
Pioneer MVH-X179UI and
Sony CDX-G3150UV

So which one from these two?
I am not getting an amp and I will buy JBL for front doors if quality does not improve. (Currently I have Sony Xplod speakers at front).

deville_56

Honoured Member
I went to a dealer and he told me to install sony unit if I am not installing an Amp. Said pioneer will be great if you have an amp but sony will do fine without amp. Is this true?
And by the way I don't want Bluetooth models. Only need USB/IPOD/AUX .
There are two such products:
Pioneer MVH-X179UI and
Sony CDX-G3150UV

So which one from these two?
I am not getting an amp and I will buy JBL for front doors if quality does not improve. (Currently I have Sony Xplod speakers at front).
Pioneer also works without amp. Installed MVH-X179UI in @vichu's VTEC. It drives a pair of Pioneer components and JBL ovals without any drop in performance. Also same unit in a friend's Baleno, driving a pair of components and coax. Never seen any one buying a Sony HU other than being canvased and trapped by ICE shop guys and car dealers [lol]

Thread Starter #11
Pioneer also works without amp. Installed MVH-X179UI in @vichu's VTEC. It drives a pair of Pioneer components and JBL ovals without any drop in performance. Also same unit in a friend's Baleno, driving a pair of components and coax. Never seen any one buying a Sony HU other than being canvased and trapped by ICE shop guys and car dealers [lol]
I thought so too. And I really want the pioneer one because of too many awesome features that sony does not give. Have you tried the MIXTRAX?[:)]
And I want to know what speakers setup you are using with this unit so I may consider them for upgrades?[:)]

deville_56

Honoured Member
I thought so too. And I really want the pioneer one because of too many awesome features that sony does not give. Have you tried the MIXTRAX?
And I want to know what speakers setup you are using with this unit so I may consider them for upgrades?
Never tried Mixtrax though many said it does not go well with all genres of music and screws up the experience.

Currently, I have 4 (acquaintance) cars with Pioneer.
1. Polo - It got a Pioneer TS-A1702C components in front door and JBL GT6-S366 in rear door.
2. Baleno - JBL CS-6 in front doors and parcel tray. Focal tweeters.
3. Beat - JBL CS-4 on dash and JBL GTO-S959 on MDF parcel tray.
4. VTEC - JBL GTO-949 in parcel tray and Pioneer TS-C600IN components in front door.

TS-600IN is an India specific model by Pioneer, claims to withstand all the abuse and climate of India. Clarity is good, but bass is not that deep compared to JBL GTO components, but mounting is low and can accommodate in OE location of most cars.

JBL GT series ovals are great in terms of bass. Never heard such deep bass in any budget speakers. (BTW I am a JBL fan [evil])

A pair of components in front and oval on good MDF parcel tray or enclosure are the best choice for poor souls like us with not much of vitamin M [angel]. Most HU can drive them without need for extra amp.

Thread Starter #13
Never tried Mixtrax though many said it does not go well with all genres of music and screws up the experience.

Currently, I have 4 (acquaintance) cars with Pioneer.
1. Polo - It got a Pioneer TS-A1702C components in front door and JBL GT6-S366 in rear door.
2. Baleno - JBL CS-6 in front doors and parcel tray. Focal tweeters.
3. Beat - JBL CS-4 on dash and JBL GTO-S959 on MDF parcel tray.
4. VTEC - JBL GTO-949 in parcel tray and Pioneer TS-C600IN components in front door.

TS-600IN is an India specific model by Pioneer, claims to withstand all the abuse and climate of India. Clarity is good, but bass is not that deep compared to JBL GTO components, but mounting is low and can accommodate in OE location of most cars.

JBL GT series ovals are great in terms of bass. Never heard such deep bass in any budget speakers. (BTW I am a JBL fan [evil])

A pair of components in front and oval on good MDF parcel tray or enclosure are the best choice for poor souls like us with not much of vitamin M [angel]. Most HU can drive them without need for extra amp.
Thank you for the information.
Well I want to ask some more points. What would be the difference if I do or don't get the ovals at back, I don't know what a parcel tray is but I guess it's for the rear boot space i have seen some ovals there. For a driver's seat, if I just get good speakers for front doors, will it do good?
And which ones? The ones you told are all old and sold out products except the pioneer TS-C600IN. There is new version of JBL CS-6, now it comes with tweeters too -CS6C.
I mostly listen to EDM songs so bass is important for me but not too much like a subwoofer but enough and crisp to get the feel. And sound quality is most important, more important than bass, because I listen to Country, Pop, Jazz, alternative, and hip hop too. So which one will do JBL or Pioneer? Just for front for now.

Pioneer speakers are good but the ones they sell in India are different from the ones they sell abroad. In any case, Pioneer and Sony are the most pirated speakers.

I would suggest you go for JBL GTO series or Infinity Reference. Infinity is also a JBL brand. The speaker model number depends on where you want to install- in the door, dash or in the back parcel tray- on the panel that sits behind the back seats. That also determines the quality of sound- Parcel tray speakers are usually oval 6x9" speakers and offer much better bass. Door speakers are usually 6.5" speakers and don't offer the same bass because it just causes the door panel to buzz. Dash speakers, if your cars has space for those, are usually 4" speakers and offer the least bass of the lot.
Also, parcel tray speakers are the most resistant to the elements because, at the most , they will simply collect dust. However, do be careful with some models that don't come with grilles. In any case, you lose the opportunity to keep stuff on the tray. On the other hand, door speakers must be installed with rain guards otherwise rain / washing water that runs down through the door lining will soak and spoil them. It also means that you will need to open the door plastic panels for installation and they will make noise at a later time
Your choice of speakers is very limited with 4" dash speakers
Component speakers offer the best sound quality because each segment of the octave band is handled by different speakers- tweeters, midrange and woofers. However, you will need to install crossovers to use the components. The crossover and amplifier will sit under the driver seat. I personally find this to be an invitation for vandalism. Coaxial speakers try to address all frequencies either through the same cone or through 2 / 3 speakers installed on the same frame. Hence sound quality is almost always a compromise. Plus, all the sound comes from one location, so it limits setting up the "sound stage"

If you really appreciate quality you need to expend a bit. My personal experience with the Pioneer 3690ui along with Infinity Reference 6502ix (I think) was fantastic in the Swift. Sound quality was clear and crisp and I never needed to set the Bass or treble to anything other than zero. I transferred the Infinities to the Baleno and its stock dash integrated HU and the sound is still good but not as crisp as the 3690ui. I also had Polk marine rated speakers in the Wagon R (4" dash mounted) and Swift (front speakers 6.5"), though these speakers were marine certified and water resistant, they didn't survive the monsoon and sound quality was not as good as the Infinity in the back

Ameyam

deville_56

Honoured Member
Thank you for the information.
Well I want to ask some more points. What would be the difference if I do or don't get the ovals at back, I don't know what a parcel tray is but I guess it's for the rear boot space i have seen some ovals there. For a driver's seat, if I just get good speakers for front doors, will it do good?
And which ones? The ones you told are all old and sold out products except the pioneer TS-C600IN. There is new version of JBL CS-6, now it comes with tweeters too -CS6C.
I mostly listen to EDM songs so bass is important for me but not too much like a subwoofer but enough and crisp to get the feel. And sound quality is most important, more important than bass, because I listen to Country, Pop, Jazz, alternative, and hip hop too. So which one will do JBL or Pioneer? Just for front for now.
@Vichu's Amaze has CS-6C in rear and his VTEC has the TS-C600IN. CS series is pure budget speakers, designed to mount in shallow depths, but decent performers. CS-6C is the same CS-6 with tweeter coming as separate unit. TS-C600IN is way better in terms of clarity.

Top Bottom