Need a Car For Status Symbol Under Rs.25 Lakhs (Bought BMW 320i)

Re: Need a Car For Status Symbol Under Rs.25 Lakhs

How many of them knows that feature apart from Auto enthusiasts like us?

A Bmw , Merc or Audi is anyday more superior and demands more respect than a VW , Skoda , Honda or Toyota.

Just my views though if i had that budget and all that i wanted was only status symbol i will look at only the big German trios.

How many of them knows that feature apart from Auto enthusiasts like us?
Only auto enthusiasts are looking at the brand so carefully and for other people any big car other than a Merc is equal to or greater than a Merc. [:)]

Only auto enthusiasts are looking at the brand so carefully and for other people any big car other than a Merc is equal to or greater than a Merc. [:)]
agree dude!! land rover is not great for status symbol..go for merc,bmw or passat in lower one!!

I am sorry Vivian i wont agree with you. An Auto enthusiast will know that a Passat or a Superb is far better equipped and offers the same comfort as a C-Class or a 3-series or an A4 at a much cheaper price tag. And for a common man a Merc is a Merc no matter if its a C-Class or an S-class. And the so called status symbol or brand value is to appeal to the masses not car enthusiasts. From a common man's point of view a Merc demands more respect than a Passat or a Superb.

I am sorry Vivian i wont agree with you. An Auto enthusiast will know that a Passat or a Superb is far better equipped and offers the same comfort as a C-Class or a 3-series or an A4 at a much cheaper price tag. And for a common man a Merc is a Merc no matter if its a C-Class or an S-class. And the so called status symbol or brand value is to appeal to the masses not car enthusiasts. From a common man's point of view a Merc demands more respect than a Passat or a Superb.
Ten years back Merc was the biggest car in peoples mind at least in India. But now most common people thinks that "umm..many big cars are there and Mercedes is not the end of world" and when they see a BMW 3 series or even a Passat or Camry they will tell each other " Oh.. it's something costlier than a Merc" hahaha.[:D]

If it is for status symbol it has to be either a BMW, Merc or an Audi. Accept it guys we tend to have this habit to see these brand as a status symbol. A person who own these brand are considered as Mr Richi Rich in our society. On the other hand there are so many people who will stay away from these brands just because it catches more eyes than VW, Honda or Nissan. They wont mind paying 24 Lack bucks for Honda CRV but will surely won't pay 24 Lacks for BMW X1 because thats way too flashy for them. Just my thought :stupid:

Thread Starter #53

We have finalised on BMW 320 . For two reason cheaper service charges compare merc and audi and don't forget cheaper to buy also :P

you guys really sacred me about leg room . there is plenty of leg room even after setting seat in position i usually drive there was still lot of leg space compare accent no lag space at all [lol]

Now confused which one to buy Petrol or Diesel .

I am thinking about petrol but father diesel . main reason for petrol there is diesel turbo lag which can be noticed in normal mode but not in sport mode .

any help from expert
i am getting 4L dicount on petrol and 2L discount on diesel which brings them

ON-road
24L approx. petrol
27L approx. Diesel

there major 3L difference .

can any body do some calculation for me if i drive 500KM per month and avg. of 8 .
so how much per year cost if i drive on petrol let say at price of 100(if it goes that much high but according to my source it won't)

Also i was surprise . service interval is not fixed . i need to get service only if car say it need service :/ is ti true or that SA was lying :/

350Z

Core Team

you guys really sacred me about leg room . there is plenty of leg room even after setting seat in position i usually drive there was still lot of leg space compare accent no lag space at all.
Of course you cannot compare it with Accent but in comparison with full fledged D-segmenters like Honda Accord, the difference may be noticeable. BMW is a nice choice but as a fellow petrol head, I think it will be wise to let you know about the upcoming meaner 3-series as well. Though it is still not confirmed whether it will have a corporate edition or not. And check this out to solve the confusion between Petrol or Diesel: http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...-definitive-petrol-v-s-diesel-calculator.html

Drive Safe,
350Z

Wow master, just saw your thread Safari followed by BMW, you are on a roll mate, anyways go for 320d, because of the increasing fuel bills ofcourse and also BMW's diesel engines are best of the lot.
Master now the joy is yours.

We have finalised on BMW 320 . For two reason cheaper service charges compare merc and audi and don't forget cheaper to buy also :P
Congrates in advance. Also enquire about BSI( BMW service Inclusive- AMC kind of thing) and BMW secure(kind of 0% Dep. insurance) and BMW roadside assistance to enjoy with full peace of mind.

Now confused which one to buy Petrol or Diesel .I am thinking about petrol but father diesel . main reason for petrol there is diesel turbo lag which can be noticed in normal mode but not in sport mode .
Go for what gives more enjoyment.(Considering 6k/year running) You can spend the difference amount on BSI/BMW secure/RSA etc. You can also try to negotiate any of these for free.

Keeping in view the current price of fuel Diesel-45 and Petrol-72 and with 6k/year running fuel cost(8 kmpl for Petrol and 10 kmpl for Diesel) will be 27k for Diesel and 54k for petrol. So with 27k difference per year , it will take 10 years to recover that extra 3 lac, you will pay upfront on diesel.

BTW i dared too much to make a point on your post being just a small car(VW Polo) owner.[:)]

Congrats in advance. I am also planning to buy one.

you guys really sacred me about leg room . there is plenty of leg room even after setting seat in position i usually drive there was still lot of leg space compare accent no lag space at all
The 3 series is a bit cramped compared to the Audi A4 and Merc C class. But that does not mean it is bad. I found it quite adequate. Anyway you'll end up behind the wheel most of the time so you won't mind.

I am thinking about petrol but father diesel . main reason for petrol there is diesel turbo lag which can be noticed in normal mode but not in sport mode .

any help from expert

ON-road
24L approx. petrol
27L approx. Diesel

can any body do some calculation for me if i drive 500KM per month and avg. of 8 .
so how much per year cost if i drive on petrol let say at price of 100(if it goes that much high but according to my source it won't)
The price is for the base petrol engine. This car is not fun to drive. Forget Diesel/Petrol calculations. The Diesel is "Sheer Driving Pleasure".

Also i was surprise . service interval is not fixed . i need to get service only if car say it need service :/ is ti true or that SA was lying :/
Yea it is true. You will get an indication. But you will get this indication more or less every 15K kms or 1 year. However if you take the BSI, you need not worry.

you guys really sacred me about leg room . there is plenty of leg room even after setting seat in position i usually drive there was still lot of leg space compare accent no lag space at all [lol]

any help from expert

ON-road
24L approx. petrol
27L approx. Diesel

I know bmw offers some good offers on service but in my experience Audi is cost effective

I have driven 320 d its a nice car & rear seat is comfy for two

,as for your question of diesel or petrol,i drove only diesel variant,but diesel variant holds resale value,but you dont buy these cars for resale value anyways

Which colour have you decided on & service intervals are determined by onboard system but if you use this car regularly that system keeps asking you to visit service for some check or the other,in my observation it was tyre pressure monitor usually.

remember when you use this car regardless of what warranties etc your promised one wrong move can bring you a bill equaling of a decent car.

I remember a family friends 5 month old 3 series which was passing through a mildly flooded road & caused electrical fault meant huge work on the car & bills in lakhs(guess he claimed insurance or warranty but not sure),he sold the car in a month,
usually your car should rack up 26000 service bill for every 6000 km odd,those clean up jobs cost a bomb ,petrol or diesel costs are pocket change in terms of resale value lost if you think of it also!
A 12,000km run 320d should go for 15lk to 17lk depending on colour & condition.

Last edited:

I know bmw offers some good offers on service but in my experience Audi is cost effective
Service cost of Audi, BMW and Mercedes Benz is more or less the same. However only BMW offers a comprehensive maintenance plan.

I have driven 320 d its a nice car & rear seat is comfy for two
This is the case in most luxury cars because of the central armrest.

,as for your question of diesel or petrol,i drove only diesel variant,but diesel variant holds resale value,but you dont buy these cars for resale value anyways
Besides that as I mentioned earlier, the diesel is more fun to drive unless you go for the higher spec petrol engines.

Which colour have you decided on & service intervals are determined by onboard system but if you use this car regularly that system keeps asking you to visit service for some check or the other,in my observation it was tyre pressure monitor usually.
The warnings generally come in the region of 15K kms or 1 year unless you neglect the basics. Tyre pressure is anyway supposed to be checked weekly, so if you do that, you won't get the warning.

remember when you use this car regardless of what warranties etc your promised one wrong move can bring you a bill equaling of a decent car.
However if you take the BSI and BMW secure, everything is covered one way or the other.

I remember a family friends 5 month old 3 series which was passing through a mildly flooded road & caused electrical fault meant huge work on the car & bills in lakhs(guess he claimed insurance or warranty but not sure),he sold the car in a month,
If you have taken BMW secure, the car is covered for water damage too.

usually your car should rack up 26000 service bill for every 6000 km odd,those clean up jobs cost a bomb ,petrol or diesel costs are pocket change in terms of resale value lost if you think of it also!
The service cost is between 15K-30K depending on which service. However if you take the BSI package you need not worry. Where did you get the 6000 Km figure?

A 12,000km run 320d should go for 15lk to 17lk depending on colour & condition.
Very unlikely unless the car has a problem. The dealers themselves buy 3 year old 50K cars for close to 20L if you're upgrading to a 5 series or something else.

Top Bottom