My White F-16 : The VW Polo Trendline Ownership Review

Thread Starter #1
And finally without much delay, I am penning/typing down my ownership review of my white German beauty which came home on the 25th of August,2012.

To start off, I love bikes more than cars, but as they say the more you grow older the more wiser and smarter you become(not that bikers are not wise and smart, considering myself being a biker for the past 8 years!! [;)]). The decision to buy a car had been hovering around inside my head for almost like 1 and a half year. But somehow everytime that urge or the feeling to actually own one never got inside my grey matter.

Fast forward to May 2012 when I shifted jobs and with a lucrative pay package finally decided lets give my Yellow and Black demon(read Yamaha FZ-S) a small little break and foray into two extra wheels and increased engine capacity(read Cars).

Starting off, I started jotting down the list(not very long) of the cars that might come in a budget of 5L to 5.5L. The list goes something like this.
1 - Chevy Beat
2 - Honda Brio
3 - Hyundai I10
4 - Hyundai I20
5 - Nissan Micra(Later was deleted from the list)
6 - Volkswagen Polo

NOTE: Did not wanna go for Diesel cars(although the fuel is cheap), always wanted a Petrol car(Yes, I know some people might think Diesel would have been a good option, but as they say a man's heart once set on something, will not change, atleast it works for me!!)

And here are the test drive reviews:

1 - Chevy Beat - Nice good small car for city driving and with the cramped up parking spaces in Bangalore, or no parking spaces at all, this seemed to be a good decision. Went to the showroom near office, took a test drive and the first impression was that the car is actually a bit bigger in size from inside but I thought the rear seating space was a little less. Test drive was good, but did not like the Engine noise, like diesel cars, and asked the SA about it. He came up saying that the engine has been tuned per the race car engines [roll] and hence the noise. Test drive over, came to the showroom for the quotes and stuff. I actually wanted a White color but my Girl was adamant of the Red color car(any car for that matter). Asked the SA how much is the waiting period and if its possible for them to deliver the car on Sunday(5th Aug) considering it was my birthday. They told the only one available in the petrol variant was the Red color and not the White (Girlfriend - 1 Rajeev - 0). (Ok, Red should be fine, not a bad color, something different than the others ) these were the assurances I was giving my heart. After picking up the quotes, thanked the SA and left for office. Saw couple of reviews on the net regarding Beat and was happy. Also, ordered for a Transformers Autobot Decal to be stuck on to the car. Everything done, suddenly chanced upon the Honda Website which took me straight to the Brio section. Confusion Prevails on the great Leonidas [confused]. Decided not to take hasty decisions and check out some more before deciding. Next, Honda Brio Test Drive.

2 - Honda Brio - Went to Whitefield Honda, saw the car, fell in love (that too red, again, Girlfriend - 2 Rajeev - 0). Went for a test drive fell in love with the car again. Considering, my dad already owns a Second Generation Honda City and a Honda Civic, Brio seemed to have the same engine as the City and I started calling the Brio "Junior City". Same engine, nil engine noise, as always, the Japanese have done it again. Good Interiors, smooth steering, smooth gear controls and the one that stood out was the large glass rear which I liked the most. Honda also gives warranty on the rear glass,added advantage I guess. Loved the deals that they were giving me, with a corporate discount, the Honda Brio came up to INR 5.4L on road. WOW very well in my budget. Called up my girl and that's when she dropped the bomb. The conversation went something like this:

Rajeev - Hey baby, took a test drive of the Brio, considering paying the booking amount. They promised to deliver it in a weeks time.
Grilfriend - Honda Brio???? Which car is that??
Rajeev - (Frustrated) ok I am sending you a photo, take a look and let me know
Girlfriend - (After looking at the picture), I hate the car, its so small. Color is good, but its small.
Rajeev - But its really spacious inside, considering most of the time only we are gonna be in the car. Think about it.
Girlfriend - No baby, I don't like the car, but its up to you, your money you should decide which one.

NOTE TO ALL PEOPLE WHO HAS A GIRLFRIEND - Never fall for the above statement wherein your better half says its up to you. Tricky one!!!

After the conversation, half mad at my Girl, took the quotes, and left for work praying that my better half changes her mind,which never happened :(.

3 - Hyundai I10 - Not exactly a test drive but almost all the people in my office own an I10. Right from the oldest version to the newest one. So had not problem in choosing which one to take out for a drive. Cut short to the drive, handling - smooth, Engine noise -Nil, Gear Shift - Smooth, Comfort - 7/10, Power - Good. Not problem in getting the detailed quotes as well because one of my colleague had just purchased the I10 2 days ago and he had all the details. A little happy, although this time did not call up my girl. But, something was holding me back into deciding on the I10. Maybe the fact that every single guy owns an I10 at work and I wanted something different. Thought about the I20 which I loved a lot when it was first launched. Test drive reviews below.

4 - Hyundai I20 - As mentioned, I loved the I20. Fast, good Turbo response, Very comfortable, nice big interiors, chilly AC. Woke up on fine Thursday Morning and decided to go to Advaith Hyundai on the Sarjapur Outer Ring Road for a test drive. And as always fell in love with it again. Finally the time came in where I had to talk to the SA and the Finance guy about my Finance requirement. And believe me, they had a little bit of an attitude problem , because I mentioned it clearly to them that I do not want to pay more than a Lac or maximum 1.2 L as DP. They mentioned, they cannot do anything about it as I would have to pay a minimum of 1.6L. Told them that I will increase it by 1.3L. After which they told, then better go for an I10 rather than I20. (indirectly stating that I20 is not for me). Got my blood boiling at that comment and gave all the papers and the Broucher back to the SA and came out politely. Decided against I20. Told my girl about I20, and came a very confusing reply, "Ah ha, I20 is a really good car, I love it. But at the end of the day, its gonna be your car, so you decide." Told her about the behavior of the staff and she too got miffed about it but again kept pestering me to think about it. Finally told, No, not an I20.

Thread Starter #2
Re: My white F-16 : The VW Polo Trandline Ownership Review

Fast forward 2 weeks, and chanced upon a VW Polo parked near my office, gleaming Red color, and the first reaction was WOW!! not a bad car. But again, I had read reviews which said that there was a left side pulling to the car, and engine noise was like that of a Diesel car etc etc. Thought about it for a while, then decided on going for a Test Drive on a Sunday, so that I can get ample time for the test drive and any questions thereafter.

Put up a request on the VW website for a test drive and as mentioned on the website got a call within 10 mins asking me where do I want a test drive and from which showroom. After giving all the required details, waited for someone to call from the VW Whitefield showroom, and waited, and waited for some more time, and kept on waiting. [frustration]. Called the showroom after three days and gave them a piece of my mind to them. They told I can come to the showroom anytime and take a test drive. Decided on Sunday and told them about it.

Sunday came, late wake up call by Girlfriend. Was not at all in the mood to go anywhere leave alone a test drive. Thought and thought, and after a long time thinking, decided on going in for a test drive. Quickly got ready and went. I was introduced to one Mr Chetan, who was too eager to show me around the showroom, rather than the car. After looking around the showroom(not much to see though) finally we went for the test drive. Test drive reviews next for the VW Polo.

5 - Volkswagen Polo - The car that I took for a test drive was the highline model of the Polo. Sat inside the ruff and tuff German car and liked it.(But my heart was still on the I20, if not for the bad attitude of the staff). Started thinking to myself, "hmmm nice interiors, naah but not as good as the I20. Wow!! the gear knob looks stylist, wonder if I can get that done on the I20. But those staff were not so polite. Wow, the controls are on the other side, hmmm not bad macha" My thoughts were disturbed by the over eager Chetan who asked if I was looking to buy any other cars outside the VW. (Surprised) "how does he know that I was thinking about it in my mind" I told him frankly yes, the Hyundai I20. Surprisingly he told that I20 is a good car, but not as sturdy as the Polo. Although there is a Turbo lag but the riding comfort is much better in Polo than the I20 which I felt almost the same. In the mean time, I started the engine and the car came to life like a gruelling machine. And that's when it all started. That same feeling. Yes, I am in love again. :). Came out on the outer ring road and since there was a construction going on the service road, I had a chance to test the shock absorbers which I felt was really good. Believe me, I could not feel that I was going on a pot hole or anything, inside the captains control room(the drivers side, as I like to put forth). Really impressed with those, tried revving the car, and the car roared for more, swiftly taking me forward. The steering is butter smooth and so are the gear shifting. Went around the showroom on the outer ring road till KR Puram station and came back to the showroom. Really impressed with all the features and the good nature of Chetan, tried to picture myself sitting in the Polo and driving it. "Hmmmm, I do look good driving the Polo. oh I did not try the horn. let me try it once" pressed the horn, that's when all the devils from above(or below) came and whispered, "go for it brother. Its perfect for you. (never thought devils can be so subtle [confused])"

Once in the showroom, spoke to the Finance guy (Mr. Prashant) and told him clearly that I am not ready to pay anything more that 1L as down payment and the rest can be put on the loan. And that's when everyone looked up on me and gave me a shocker. Here's the conversation with Mr Prashant(Finance)

Rajeev: Prashant, I am happy with the car, but not ready to pay anything above 1L as down payment. Can you do something about it?
Prashant: (Looking up) Sir, the minimum DP is around 1.5L.
Rajeev: That's not feasible, I am sure you can do something about it. (Since I myself heading the Finance of a private company, knew couple of jargons here and there and impressed them, or so what I thought. Gave them a calculation of my own and put it in front of him.)
Prashant:Sir, let me see what can be done. (He called up someone, bank I guess and in the mean called up my parents and told them about my decision. Dad as always, your money, your life, your decisions. Mom as always, be careful)
Prashant: Sir I ll give you the best deal(I was ready for another shocker). You pay only INR 70,000 as DP(surprised) and the rest loan.
Rajeev: (Obviously shocked and surprised) are you sure you told 70,000 as DP??
Prashant: Yes sir. We will be taking loan from SBI for a period of 5 or 7 years as per your wish.
Rajeev: (time to give them another shocker) ok that sounds good. But the fact is that I just shifted jobs and its been just 3 months. So do you think that SBI would give me a loan for the period of 7 years, just in case I am going for it.
Prashant: Don't worry at all sir, I will arrange the loan for you from SBI itself @ 10.75% for a period of 7 years.
Rajeev: (Elated obviously, still trying to hide my obvious excitement) Perfect that works out for me, how much booking amount should I pay
Prashant: Sir INR 50,000 and once the formalities like address verification is done, we will proceed with the other formalities.
Rajeev: (What, INR 50,0000 booking amount) Ok, do you accept cards? or should I pay by cash
Prashant: Sir, cards are accepted but 2% surcharge would be applicable.
Rajeev: (Starts calculating the numbers) no worries, you can swipe my card.

In comes Chetan (SA)

Chetan: Now lets decide the color and the variant of the Polo sir.
Rajeev: (thinks to himself, color, Red?? or White??) Base model (Trendline). Color Red (Considering Girlfriend as well)
Chetan: Sir Red color for trendline would take around 1 and half months to come.
Rajeev: (obviously not ready to wait any longer, its like now or never)Ok I will take the white (buhahahahaha Girlfriend :0 Rajeev: 1000000)
Chetan: Done sir, there is a white Polo in our godown nearby, if you would like to inpect it you can do that. And since there is an offer running, we will be giving you INR 15,000 worth accessories free, 2 years AMC free and Free insurance)
Rajeev: Ok that sounds good.

Shook hands with everyone, including the guard outside(Cannot figure out why) and went home happy and content.
Called up my girl and told her my decision and the color. Surprise surprise, even she was happy with the car and the color. But after every conversation, "but red looks classy, but again, its your car, so you decide" (Frustrated). Told her I am going with white and she was happy that finally I made up my mind on something.

Fast forward, a week later, SBI people came over for the address verification and some 1 hour later left. Prashant(Finance) called up and told that I had to come to the bank for some more signing and other formalities on Tuesday, Monday being Bank holiday. Tuesday came and I was inside the bank at dot 10 AM. (I was ready to get delayed considering the government bank and stuff like that. But again, shocker, everything was done in 45 mins and I was really happy with what transpired). Went to the showroom and paid the rest INR 20,000 and left to work eagerly waiting to get my hands on my new German Beauty (nicknamed F-16).

Guys tell me one thing, when you are waiting so eagerly for something, does the time pass by like slower than that of a snail? Or is it just me.

Finally, 25th August(Saturday), wished my parents on their anniversary and went to the showroom. And there it was, my F-16 screaming "take me home Love". Went inside the showroom and started filling up some documents and signing on like papers and papers together,which seemed to be endless. Then Chetan(SA) took me outside for my much needed nirvana(read smoke) and then handed over the keys to my newly acquired possession. He started explaining me the details of the car and also gave a bouquet and a box of chocolates.The meter showed 9 KMS(surprised) I, on the other hand, gave him a Parker pen, a book and a box of sweets to be distributed to everyone.

Finally, got hold of my F-16 and went to the nearest petrol pump and filled her up. Went straight to the temple and after a pooja, picked up my girl and happily cruised on the Mysore road.

To this day, I have clocked 350 KMS on my Polo and everyday I wake up looking forward to drive her around the city.

Accessories Fitted:
Door Silts
Mats
Mud flaps
Reverse Parking Sensor(Body colored)
Seat covers.

To All, I have not taken any pictures because of absence of a good camera But I promise that I will be taking couple of pictures and uploading it. I just have once photo of mine with my F-16 which I am uploading it. Next section will be about the initial driving experience. I am just waiting for the pictures and then I can pen down my thoughts about the driving experience as well.Apologies for not clicking any photos.

Hope you enjoyed the review as much as I love driving the German Beauty around [:D]

Nice and detailed start Rajeev, congrats on your new aquisition.
Looking forward to your ownership experiences and offcourse more pics!

Congrats Rajiv
Seems like you had a good time deciding for your car. Nice ownership review too.

I am guessing that you have not taken your polo to the highways, take out some time at night and take her to open roads, that's when you will start to love her more than ever before.

Wish you great times with your polo and do check other polo threads for some useful info.

BTW, whats F-16?

Congratulations Rajeev for acquiring the german beauty[clap].

Loved reading your buying experience, nice work

Waiting for the pics buddy, so please do some justice to this thread by adding some pictures[;)]

Wishing you happy and niggle free ownership buddy.

Thread Starter #7
Thanks a ton Iron rock, rightnow and singh890.

@rightnow - not yet, still to hit the highways. Work is keeping me busy. and F-16 is a jet plane

@singh890 - sure dude, will surely post some pics asap, by end of day or latest by tomorrow.

Congrats buddy for your polo .
We need more pics ASAP [;)]
Enjoy the ownership and please share your impressions with us .

Thanks a ton Iron rock, rightnow and singh890.

@rightnow - not yet, still to hit the highways. Work is keeping me busy. and F-16 is a jet plane
Take her to highways and fall even more in love with her.

Chuck polo for sometime and tell me how was the Korn concert??

Nice review mate and congratz for your new german beauty.

NOTE TO ALL PEOPLE WHO HAS A GIRLFRIEND - Never fall for the above statement wherein your better half says its up to you. Tricky one!!!
When they say this it is always a big NO from them. And if you do what you want , then be ready to face the consequences of the same. [lol]

Nice, enthusiastic writeup. Congatulations on your Polo. I agree with you that its always an emotional decision for a man when it comes to buying his personal car. Looking forward to more pictures and a detailed driving review. Achtung Baby!

Thread Starter #14
Thanks all for the wonderful wishes.

@rightnow - You had to be there to experience the concert man. It was good. I loved it. All like minded people coming together. Next in line, slayer. All set for that.

All, sorry for the delay on uploading the pics, i ll do justice soon by doing so. Please be patient and your wishes shall be granted. :) (suddenly i felt as if I quoted God. heh heh!!)

Top Bottom