My VW Polo 1.5 TDI HL Ownership Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Starter #1
Firstly, buying Experience
My choice was simple, it should be fun to drive (Not quite simple).
Well, this was my personal first car which i was going to buy. My father already owns a SX4 ZXI and my brother owns a i20 asta. I had done lots of research, watching reviews of cars on youtube for hours & hours. I was really confused about which car to buy. I was even confused about hatchback or sedan ( I don't prefer SUV's or MUV's).
My brother was very frustrated with all this. Then the day came when i decided to go for Test drive. First was Polo:, didn't liked it that much at first and brother was sitting at back seat and was complaining about lack of rear reg room (unfortunately there is not even a single test drive vehicle for GT TSI in whole Haryana).
What i Liked:-
interior and German looks.
What i missed:-
Auto folding ORVM's and Rear view camera.

Then came the new Swift (Didn't go for a test drive, just looked at it and rejected). Then came the ciaz, Sales guy told me same engine as in Swift (Rejected). It was Sunday so the Toyota showroom was closed, so was not able to take TD of Liva and Etios (so they were out). Opposite Toyota there was Honda's Showroom went inside and took TD of Honda City, Didn't liked it very much but my brother was into it and said let's buy this, we asked the sales guy he said minimum three months waiting for any variant (Didn't had that much time). Then we went to Hyundai Showroom (I dont't want to offend anyone but i don't like new Verna). I have driven the Old Verna, i liked it a lot even better than the POLO(i even asked the sales guy if they had any old Verna).
Then we went for Elite i20 and booked it with one month waiting period.
What i Liked:-
Push start, Auto-folding ORVM's.
What i didn't like:-
Center Console
And the main reason for booking the i20 was Auto-folding ORVM's and Push Start.

After one month i called the guy who booked our car but his phone was switched off. We went to agency and came to know that the guy had left his job, bummer[frustration].
Another Sales guy told us that it will take 8-10 days more for our car to arrive.

In between, i had not stopped watching Youtube reviews, i was mad in those days.
Then i saw some GT TSI reviews and you know what happens after seeing a GT TSI, the same thing happened with me.

I went to my home, same day when we were suppose to take delivery of Elite i20, didn't bothered to call Agency because i knew they will give some lame excuse (Really i wanted to buy GT TSI) i wanted to take TD of GT TSI so went to VW agency they said there is one guy who had bought his second GT TSI (Only one confirmed owner of GT TSI in Haryana) and is at VW Panipat for regular service. Took his no. from agency and called him for a TD (I'm stupid), he said best car i ever own[:D]. I just wanted to drive the car before booking, i called my father's driver that we have to go to Panipat VW. He was at some work and said i will be there in half an Hr. That hr i spend with my mom and said i am going to buy GT TSI, its a Petrol and Automatic.

Then, I belong to a typical Punjabi Family, she asked about average and i said 12-15 and its a petrol. After Half hr of listening to my mom i was like i will by a Polo but diesel.[cry] . then the driver came and i send him back (Extremely wrong decision).

Next Day i bought a POLO TDI 1.5 HL Delivery on Spot, i guess the Polo's are not selling much.
(I think i would have booked GT TSI at the spot before coming home and talking to my mom).

Some thing about Hyundai here: i cancelled the Booking of i20 after 20-25 days, in those days they have not called to confirm that your car has arrived and at the time of cancelling the said noting.

(This is a long story short, Let me add one more thing here, my brother was not even ready to go inside Skoda's Showroom).

Ownership Experience:-
It has done 4000 km, till date and loved every bit of it except i had to go for wheel alignment at 3000 Kms and i still feel its out. Tyres are noisy wish i had gone for 16inch alloys and Michelin tyres when i bought the car. This will come but after these tyres are worn out.
Pros:
Looks Awesome (Personal Opinion)
High Speed Stabilty is awesome.
Streeing design is unique and looks lovely and small. Just for Comparison i20 steering feels like one of a truck.
I love how it pulls in third gear. I don't know if its just me but i like the sound when i push hard in third gear.
Interior Feels Classy not trendy but classic gives it a royal look.
Automatic Climate Control (ACC) is awesome, loved it.

Cons:
Hear some thud sounds here and there.
Throw of Headlights is extremely poor. If a car from from is on high beam then you are as good as blind. Needs to change these suggestions are welcome my 97% drive is on Highways.
Low Range is not good enough not complaining but yes it feels slow.
When i start the engine i hear very little sound of Engine belt, just like in indica but very little.
One thing that everybody says about polo, let me say is also, brakes are not inspiring. They are not bad but at high speed the punch is not there.
Tyres are noisy.
Lack of Front arm rest.

Thanks for your time, Its time for some Photos.
As explained earlier it was GT TSI which i wanted to buy at first place, now i bought GT TSI.:biggrin: so now the all the posts will be based on GT TSI
Few Initial Points:
Beige and Black interiors looked better in person in Polo 1.5 TDI(Personal Opinion).
Interior quality is poorer that 1.5 TDI(Again personal opinion).
Black Seats Look good.
A pillar colour is different that regular Polo. In regular polo it wash beige but in GT TSI its whitish, looks inferior.
Headlight switch doesn't look good.
These all are based on comparison between polo 1.5 TDI and GT TSI both white.
Still to put her in S mode[frustration]
And the car was bought on friday, 23 Oct, 2015.

Attachments

Last edited:

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
Congrats on your car. This variant is a total vfm. Have all the features you need at the right amount. For highway crusing this is one of the best built car with the required safety features.

About the i20 booking, the sales of the elite i20 are off the charts and it's sad to see dealer behaving like this. He knows if not you some other will buy and that's a very bad attitude. I will say do report this on the hyundai website. I know you already bought another car but the dealer might do the same with others as well.

Keep updating the thread [thumbsup] and enjoy your ride

Thread Starter #4
Congrats on your car. This variant is a total vfm. Have all the features you need at the right amount. For highway crusing this is one of the best built car with the required safety features.

About the i20 booking, the sales of the elite i20 are off the charts and it's sad to see dealer behaving like this. He knows if not you some other will buy and that's a very bad attitude. I will say do report this on the Hyundai website. I know you already bought another car but the dealer might do the same with others as well.

Keep updating the thread [thumbsup] and enjoy your ride
I know i would have dome something about the dealership behavior, but at the end of the day i am happy with my decision of buying a Polo. I hope i will not regret on my decisions in the near future, you know its German so i have to be careful with it.[:)]

Thread Starter #7
Hi,
Congratulations on your New polo TDI. Wishes to clock many more miles without issues. Diesel drive train is very good one built by VW. So no need to worry that you missed the Petrol Engine.

Thread Starter #9
Hi,
Congratulations on your New polo TDI. Wishes to clock many more miles without issues. Diesel drive train is very good one built by VW. So no need to worry that you missed the Petrol Engine.
I agree with you, it is very good. Then again some time back i talked to Arush (Autopsyche) and asked his opinon on FFE (I love the Sound, I just wanted sports car sound and not performance gains) and CAI for my car and he said there is nothing much you can do with a diesel car. [frustration]

Then i also talked with Vivek from Tune-o-Tronics he also said the same thing. I think the exhaust sound is the only thing that i miss in my car.

cogratulations veer ji[clap] wishing you many happy and safe miles with this German beauty.
i am not sure but you can try some exhaust muffler to get that type of sound.

Congratulations on your vw. It sure is a very good diesel hatch to own. I did a TD of polo 1.5 and loved the engine. Im a petrol head but this oil burner impressed me. How about a ecu remap once you're out of the warranty period? [;)] If you're into modifying cars aliexpress has alot of modification options for vw including the gti style headlights.

Well, have fun with your german machine!

Thread Starter #12
Congratulations on your vw. It sure is a very good diesel hatch to own. I did a TD of polo 1.5 and loved the engine. Im a petrol head but this oil burner impressed me. How about a ecu remap once you're out of the warranty period? [;)] If you're into modifying cars aliexpress has alot of modification options for vw including the gti style headlights.

Well, have fun with your german machine!
Remap will be done after 1st service hopefully. I don't have enough patience to wait for the warranty period to end. Lots of Products in the wish list of my aliexpress Account. One order in the transit, once i receive it going to order sparco grey universal pedals. :biggrin:
Here is the pic of snow foam lance i ordered from aliexpress.

Attachments

Remap will be done after 1st service hopefully. I don't have enough patience to wait for the warranty period to end. Lots of Products in the wish list of my aliexpress Account. One order in the transit, once i receive it going to order sparco grey universal pedals. :biggrin:
Here is the pic of snow foam lance i ordered from aliexpress.
Yea waiting for the remap after the warranty is a long time. How about a oem look pedals Set of 3pcs Stainless Car pedal Cover for MT Volkswagen VW Golf MK4 Jetta MK4 Bora Polo Beetle Clutch Gas Brake Pedals Pads-in Pedals from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group. I think the GT's have similar pedals. Polo has a lot of potential to be modified. My brother wants to buy a polo 1.5 or GT TSI. Im pushing him to get one soon so that I can get my hands on it[:)]

Thread Starter #14
Yea waiting for the remap after the warranty is a long time. How about a oem look pedals Set of 3pcs Stainless Car pedal Cover for MT Volkswagen VW Golf MK4 Jetta MK4 Bora Polo Beetle Clutch Gas Brake Pedals Pads-in Pedals from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group. I think the GT's have similar pedals. Polo has a lot of potential to be modified. My brother wants to buy a polo 1.5 or GT TSI. Im pushing him to get one soon so that I can get my hands on it[:)]
I ordered these pedals from ebay for Rs. 1500 but returned them. The quality was not looking good and it was not a direct fit.

Thread Starter #15
@Jonathan7s go for GT TSI. Its the best automatic hatchback you can own in India. I still wish i had gone for GT TSI instead of 1.5 TDI , its nothing like i am not happy with my current choice but the DSG and turbocharged petrol engine is awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom