My Volkswagen Polo 1.2 TDI - Family Babe

Thread Starter #1
So, I am going to write a review about the almost 4 month old Volkswagen Polo 1.2 TDI (Trendline).
We owned a Maruti Suzuki Alto before. It was a bit congested & it wasn't too good for long drives (we go very rarely :P). The main reason behind the upgrading is due to lack of adequate power especially with the A/C on. My father always told about upgrading it. Due to the increasing price in petrol, we thought of taking a deisel vehicle. We checked ford figo, suzuki swift, nissan micra, toyota etios & atlast settled with Volkswagen Polo.

So on May 2011, I guess on the 1st. We booked the car. We thought of taking the car in June due to some financial problems. But the volkswagen dealer called us every week saying when are you picking up the car, its ready. Atlast, on October 3rd 2011, we agreed to take the car.

On October 3rd, I was so excited. I even bunked my school to go pick up our new car. We reached there afternoon & came to know that our vehicle was supposed to be delivered on 4th. My father was so pissed off because this wasn't informed earlier. We couldn't go back because in our district (Kannur) volkswagen dealer was not there, so we had to go around 90km far (Calicut). Even though they didn't inform us earlier, the other services were simply great. I had great experience there, they treated us so well & admitted there mistake. They told that the vehicle is ready but the temporary registration isn't ready. If you wait till 6pm, then you will get everything done.
So me & my father waited there 4-5 hrs & atlast we got our baby at 7pm. It was looking gorgeous & we set off at 7:30pm. It was difficult to ride in the potholes but I didn't want to wait another 1 day for the vehicle.

Will Upload the pics (when bought) & write the review on it later.. :)

Update 1 - The Review + Some Pics

Update 2 - More Pics

Update 3 - 24 days away from being 1 year old

Update 4 - Completed 1 year/1st Service

Update 5- Got New Seat Covers

Update 6 - Trip to Kodaikanal + Increased GC

Update 7 - Brake Pads Changed

Last edited:
Good start to review , keep updating more about your car and yeah post some pictures too.

You are quite lucky actually. Usually its the other way around and the customer has to keep calling the dealer about the status of the car.

Thread Starter #4
Good start to review , keep updating more about your car and yeah post some pictures too.

You are quite lucky actually. Usually its the other way around and the customer has to keep calling the dealer about the status of the car.
Thanks. I am going to do it soon. The dealer service was simply amazing. They were treating us like we bought a Volkswagen Touareg. After getting the car, they called once or twice to know the feedback. I felt good with Volkswagen.

Congrats for your Polo..

Waiting for Pics & Story..
Thanks. Going to do it soon!

Thread Starter #7
Photo0008-Optimized.jpg

Photo0014-Optimized.jpg

Photo0012-Optimized.jpg

Photo0017-Optimized.jpg

37-Optimized.jpg

The Review

Its German Engineering & it got to be good. [:)]

The Power
We got the car & the car was simply gorgeous. The power was so good. It had a diesel lag but its there for most of the cars, not a problem though. It moves in a medium pace till 2000rpm. After 2000rpm, whoaw, it just bursts out & flies. It moves so fast when you pedal the accelerator. When compared to our old car (Alto), this was a Goddess. Even if you go at 60kmph, it feels damn slow & its like the vehicle begs for more speed. Recently, I went to bangalore. The road was awesome, so we pedalled the car till 125kmph. But still it felt slow. Wanted to go more but didn't want the car to push hard as the rpm was already at 3. The only disadvantage I have faced due to diesel engine is that, if we brake our car in a slope while going up. Then you can't go up the slope due to the diesel lag. Then the engine even starts vibrating. So we will have to reverse & pick up speed to go up the slope. Other than that the power is just awesome!

The Handling & Gearbox
The handling is so good even at low & high speeds. Some vehicles are not stable at high speeds but this one is stable at extra high speeds too [;)]. The vehicle's steering is very loose while we are stationary or when we are at low speeds. As the speed increases, the steering becomes more tight. I don't know whether someone else has experienced that or not but it's true. Its a good safety feature provided by Volkswagen which also results in good control over the steering.
The gearbox is also good. Its a short shift gearbox & its easy to shift which provides easy driving in traffic. The gearchange is even smooth, so there isn't much effort for the vehicle too.

The Comfort
I am not much satisfied with the rear seats of this vehicle. The front seats are in an average manner. The rear seats are almost the same but sitting in rear isn't comfortable. The seats are a bit hard, so it doesn't quite suit for long drives. Well, its my opinion, some of the polo owners didn't quite feel so. Apart from the seats, the vehicle feels so good to travel. The rear seating position is good but the front seats are a bit low. So its quite difficult for the driver to drive as you won't be able to see the potholes in the road as you get near. The Highline version doesn't have this problem due to the height adjustable seats. In long drives, this doesn't make quite of an issue. Other than that, the vehicle provides good comfort. The rear legroom is not so big nor so short. Its just an average.

The Styling & Other Features
There is no need to tell about the styling because this is one of the good looking cars right now in the Indian market. That was the reason behind me to check this car before buying. The looks are exceptional. I would have preferred a black aftermarket alloys on the white polo but don't think this would happen soon. The interior looks great & it makes you feel that it surely is a german. Especially the two-tone cream & black interior looks very good.
Other thing which attracted me is the boot opener. It is very innovative. People who don't know about this would never find out. Apart from that, the boot is so big that you can have a nap after your work in your car :tongue:. Its perfect for long drives. As I said earlier, I recently went to bangalore. We had a lot of luggage, but the car swallowed all over luggages in one go.

Bad things
Another thing which bothers me a lot is the ground clearance. The clearance is not that good as expected because it scratches in every single potholes. The mud flap keeps on rubbing the road even if you enter a small hump, it keeps on rubbing every single humps & potholes. So I was really annoyed & atlast day before yesterday I removed it. Now its much much better & I need to concentrate only on the underbody part.
Other than that I can't find any other wrong with this vehicle.
I love it...

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice simple and short review , good.

The only disadvantage I have faced due to diesel engine is that, if we brake our car in a slope while going up. Then you can't go up the slope due to the diesel lag. Then the engine even starts vibrating. So we will have to reverse & pick up speed to go up the slope
About this i think you are used to your Alto. Try revving up even more and use half clutch , you will make the slope.

As the speed increases, the steering becomes more tight. I don't know whether someone else has experienced that or not but it's true

Yes its true and i like it.

The mud flap keeps on rubbing the road even if you enter a small hump, it keeps on rubbing every single humps & potholes.
Yeah the same kept happening in my friends Vento. I advice you put back the mudflaps again , there is no harm in them getting scraped. My friend didn't face any problem for the past one year and he still has it in his car.

Congrats for you new polo Jihu123.Nice review buddy keep it up.So the only issue you are facing is of GC and turbo lag at lower rpms, post some interior pics too it would be great.

Hei Jithu congrats on your new ride. I liked the pictures too. Can you post some from the Interior also? And what Fuel Efficiency you are getting?

Excellent pictures buddy, do post some interior shots of your Polo. I am a fan of german car, their quality can be felt with a touch. Same goes for the interiors.

Great crisp review. Polo is one the best looking hatches available in the country now. Waiting for some interior pics now.

Any mods planned?

Thread Starter #13
Nice simple and short review , good.
Thanks

About this i think you are used to your Alto. Try revving up even more and use half clutch , you will make the slope.
Oh, thanks for the advice. [:)]

Yeah the same kept happening in my friends Vento. I advice you put back the mudflaps again , there is no harm in them getting scraped. My friend didn't face any problem for the past one year and he still has it in his car.
I know there isn't any harm but I don't feel good when the mudguard scratches the ground. I hurt myself when my car gets hurt. [cry]
Will put them back during the rainy season. Now, there isn't much use of the mudguard anyways.

Congrats for you new polo Jihu123.Nice review buddy keep it up.So the only issue you are facing is of GC and turbo lag at lower rpms, post some interior pics too it would be great.
Thanks. Will post it soon!

Hei Jithu congrats on your new ride. I liked the pictures too. Can you post some from the Interior also? And what Fuel Efficiency you are getting?
Thanks. Will post the interior soon. I get 20kmpl in highways with A/C. In city, its quite less. About 12-15kmpl.

Excellent pictures buddy, do post some interior shots of your Polo. I am a fan of german car, their quality can be felt with a touch. Same goes for the interiors.

Great crisp review. Polo is one the best looking hatches available in the country now. Waiting for some interior pics now.

Any mods planned?
Regarding mods, I'd love to but unfortunately my father doesn't allow. Might fix the HID Xenon Bulbs instead of the stock one. I am not sure on that, I gotta somehow convince my father [;)].

@jihu123

Congrates and welcome to Polo club. White looks elegant. Let more pics come. Drive safe. I think a lot of new polo's appearing in TAI.

Top Bottom