My Volkswagen Polo 1.2 TDI - Family Babe

Thread Starter #31
Hey nice review. Although I'm a little late but congrats on your new polo. Looks stunning in white. How much did they charge you for painting the door handles and rear view mirrors?
I don't know the price. I forgot it, even my father. :sorry: It must be 2 or 4k!

Your Polo looks hawt!!!
How long has she run so far?. Have happy miles. Drive safe. [:)]
Thanks Marun. She crossed 7k kms! [:)]

Do you hear thud thud sound when going over small potholes or while traveling over bridge like in Valapattanam and how is the performance after 90km/h?

How did you find maintaining the white beauty.

Offtopic:
Enjoying the long vacation,eh?

Thread Starter #33
Oh [surprise]. I posted a reply to this few days back. Well, might be internet issues!

Do you hear thud thud sound when going over small potholes or while traveling over bridge like in Valapattanam
Well, heard a sound while going through valapattanam bridge. But its there for all the vehicles right. Its the joint of the bridges or something. Or are you talking about some other thud? [confused]

and how is the performance after 90km/h?
The car is stable even at 100km/h. And it feels happy to go beyond that! And you won't know that you are going at 90km/h unless you check the speedometer. Due to this, we received a fine for Over Speeding & had to pay 400 INR. [frustration]

How did you find maintaining the white beauty.
Frankly speaking, its quite hard. The vehicle catches dust easily! I guess its due to the body design.

Offtopic:
Enjoying the long vacation,eh?
Yeah & maybe not. I'm enjoying but at the same time, getting bored too!

Thread Starter #36
Update - 24 days away from being 1 year old

The car is still performing exceptionally well. It is now almost 13k kms in the odo which I feel is less for a diesel car. The interior quality and other parts are still in top notch. After running through almost all the potholes in the city. The car still doesn't feel like it needs a service. The only problem which I have faced so far is the ground clearance. Its a bit low for the use here & scraps most of the times on rough roads. Well, actually the GC measure is quite good (160mm). But if you check the under, you will notice that the underbody is lying low. And that's the reason for scraping. Other than that the vehicle is simply brilliant!
Long journeys are a true bliss in the car. The car at high speeds handles very well. And the top speed till date was 160kmph @ 4000 rpm (please don't try to attempt it [;)]).
The mileage is quite less when compared to other cars but I don't mind it coz my last car was a petrol. So, compared to that, this is better in terms of mileage and wallet. The car receives around 15kmpl in city with A/C and around 17-18 kmpl in highways with A/C.
Love the car!

Some Pics

Some slight offroading. Well, the first and last! [anger]
DSC01388.jpg
DSC01389.jpg
DSC01390.jpg

And this is the only thing I don't like about monsoons
DSC00848.jpg
DSC00850.jpg
DSC00851.jpg
DSC00852.jpg
DSC00854.jpg
DSC00855.jpg
DSC00856.jpg

Getting a wash
Photo0027.jpg
Photo0028.jpg
Photo0029.jpg
Photo0030.jpg
Photo0031.jpg

Scratches/Dents [cry]
DSC01400.jpg
DSC01401.jpg
DSC01402.jpg
DSC01403.jpg
DSC01405.jpg
DSC01408.jpg

Attachments

Hey great pics Jihu123 . Speacially the ones in which your Polo is doing some mild offroading. Glad that you'll be completing 1 year with your Polo soon and without any major niggles. Yes Ground clearance is an issue with the Polo and you have to really negotiate those rough roads and potholes at a very slow speed to prevent the scraping of the underbelly. I am in a way happy that I don't have to be extra cautious while driving in the city as we don't have any speed breakers or any deep potholes on the roads in whole of Chandigarh.
Mileage/FE in my opinion you are getting is on the lower side. I am getting close to 19-20kmpl now in my Polo Tdi with a mix of city and highway driving.

And a suggestion, In my opinion the scratches on the rear bumper and the OVRM can be removed by some mild rubbing with a compound solution. Get that done and your Polo would be back to her new days.

great pictures man[clap]
i love the pictures and always kerala scenery are awesome.
how was the ground clearance?
i love to drive in that places but my fiesta's ground clearance is so bad.[cry]

Hey Jihu, nice to know that your are happy with polo. As GM88 suggested you may try to remove the scratches by rubbing compound like F1 scratch out. have a non branded scratch remover, and even that is sufficient to reduce the scratches.
I have heard that polo tdi's clearance is lower than polo which is why I guess I haven't scraped a single speed breaker or undulation on road. Still going by figures, polo tdi would have better clearance than figo, jazz etc, barring punto.

Enjoy your polo and Keep us updated on your first service.

Thread Starter #40
Yes Ground clearance is an issue with the Polo and you have to really negotiate those rough roads and potholes at a very slow speed to prevent the scraping of the underbelly.
that's what we try to do most of the time. But still, it fails on some roads.

I am in a way happy that I don't have to be extra cautious while driving in the city as we don't have any speed breakers or any deep potholes on the roads in whole of Chandigarh.
You are indeed lucky. I get hurt even when I hear the scraping of the mud guard! [cry]

Mileage/FE in my opinion you are getting is on the lower side. I am getting close to 19-20kmpl now in my Polo Tdi with a mix of city and highway driving.
Well, I know I get less. Mainly cos the main roads in kerala is like small cut roads and highway is considered as normal city roads. [lol] So can't expect more!

And a suggestion, In my opinion the scratches on the rear bumper and the OVRM can be removed by some mild rubbing with a compound solution. Get that done and your Polo would be back to her new days.
tried Formula 1 Carnauba Car Wax. Usually it does the work but this time, it failed. Any other suggestions?

great pictures man
i love the pictures and always kerala scenery are awesome.
how was the ground clearance?
i love to drive in that places but my fiesta's ground clearance is so bad.
Thanks mahn. The ground clearance was pretty low at that place.
I know about fiesta's GC. Indeed, its very low. One of my friend's dad sold his fiesta just because of the low ground clearance.

Hey Jihu, nice to know that your are happy with polo. As GM88 suggested you may try to remove the scratches by rubbing compound like F1 scratch out. have a non branded scratch remover, and even that is sufficient to reduce the scratches.
tried Formula 1 car wax. didn't work. any other suggestion?

I have heard that polo tdi's clearance is lower than polo which is why I guess I haven't scraped a single speed breaker or undulation on road. Still going by figures, polo tdi would have better clearance than figo, jazz etc, barring punto.
Well, I guess the numbers are the same. Its said because the diesel is/feels way heavier than the petrol mate. So with added passengers, the vehicle goes down further! [confused]

Enjoy your polo and Keep us updated on your first service.
Sure. The service might surely burn my dad's pocket!

Yup the ground clearance is a problem on rough roads but then other cars are equally bad in that department. Fiesta Classic and Verna in my stable hit their under-belly more frequently than my Polo. Or it may be due to my little over protected driving over rough roads in my Polo. I have driven my cousins Punto for quite a few trips now. The GC is seriously better in the Punto.

Yup looking forward to your 1st service report. Try getting the wheel alignment and balancing done from outside as VW clearly overcharges for them.

Thread Starter #42
Yup the ground clearance is a problem on rough roads but then other cars are equally bad in that department. Fiesta Classic and Verna in my stable hit their under-belly more frequently than my Polo. Or it may be due to my little over protected driving over rough roads in my Polo. I have driven my cousins Punto for quite a few trips now. The GC is seriously better in the Punto.
Well, now, I have to live with it. [confused]

Yup looking forward to your 1st service report. Try getting the wheel alignment and balancing done from outside as VW clearly overcharges for them.
I too was thinking about the same coz members from some other forums are doing the same & there is quite difference in their bill!

Thread Starter #43
So, My Car is now more than 1 year old with the first service completed [clap]!
I am going to share the experience here.

The car is doing exceptionally well. Just as I mentioned in the previous update. No clatters & no problems.
So, back to the story, I was waiting for the new Volkswagen showroom to open in my city soon after my car purchase so that I don't need to go 70 kms far for a service. As I expected, it was inaugrated on probably August or September. And my service date planned was October 3 (the date I bought the car). But later, I heard a rumor that the showroom hasn't begun the service station & it will start only by 15th. So, I thought why not wait & let my car be the first one to get serviced here. Unfortunately, the plans went flop as when I enquired about it in the showroom. They said that it will take more time for the service to start. Most probably by October end. So I wasn't going to take a chance to wait till that time. So decided to give the car for service to the same place from where I bought it! Booked for the service on October 3rd & got a date on October 17th (today). Pretty long I must say!
The Car completed around 14200km at the time of service. Felt that it was less for a diesel car! [embarass]
But anyways, got my car back in the evening & its smooth just as it was. No more & No less. 1 thing I noticed after the service was that the distance to empty metre in the display has been replaced by the outside temperature. Probably, some software changes. Gotta check it if I can get the distance to empty metre back!

Here are the service details:

Labour Details - A
  • Periodic Maintenance - 1,500
  • Consumables - 500

Parts Details - B
  • Oil Filter Polo D - 327
  • Fuel Filter 2 - 1,142
  • Air Filter New Polo D - 348
  • Dust and Pollen Filter - 649
  • Drain Plug - 73
  • Clear View - 70

Oil & Lubricants - C
  • Engine Oil-4L - 3,338
  • Engine Oil-1L - 861

KVAT Collected 13.5% - 919
Service Tax Collected-Labour - 203

Total - 9,584 (Without Wheel alignment & Balancing, it costs around 750 more. Saved a few bucks here with TAI member's knowledge [;)]. Will get it done from outside!)

Seeing the amount. I don't feel like its too much. Maybe because I knew it will reach 10,000 or maybe coz its still only 4 digits. Whatever, when you consider the service interval of a swift and polo. A swift needs service every 10,000kms whereas Polo needs it only every 15,000kms. So the extra premium for the service is not that much I think!

Hai buddy
It seems high amount for me.
Even in my fiesta i usually get the bills around 4-5k for periodical service of oil change etc
But only during parts change i get more.
But 15k service interval seems cool. So no problem.
But wheel alignment never give to the company.

Thread Starter #45
Hai buddy
It seems high amount for me.
Even in my fiesta i usually get the bills around 4-5k for periodical service of oil change etc
But only during parts change i get more.
But 15k service interval seems cool. So no problem.
But wheel alignment never give to the company.
Well, I hope the next service will lower down a bit. The only peace of mind is the 15k kms for the service.
But when compared to my cousin's Punto. This is hell lot of a money! came to know about it today only when I asked him about that.
He pays around 4-6k for 15k service. [:D]

Top Bottom