My Tool Collection & DIY Adventures With Them

Thread Starter #121

mayankdixit

Honoured Member
Great!! No worries now about breaking the clips. Did you get it in one go or did you collect it over time?
Why only Toyota. Which car is in your garage?

Last edited:
Great!! No worries now about breaking the clips. Did you get it in one go or did you collect it over time?
Why only Toyota. Which car is in your garage?
I bought these as a kit again from my folks in the USA .I have M800 and the Fortuner in my garage . May be these fasteners are common to other cars as well but i got it ordered from amazon for toyota vehicles

Thread Starter #124

mayankdixit

Honoured Member
I had posted earlier that my 1/4 drive set is almost complete. Well these two sliding t-shaped helpers were missing in that set. So now its complete, with all the attachments and helpers and sockets which I can think of.
Of course Tools are never enough for me at least .So I have ended up with 3 different brands ratchets and some extra and repeat socket pieces. Recently they were very handy in tightening and loosening of XUV battery bolts. Also in tightening the gear lever of discover 125.It was loose and making noise since the last time I dismantled it for oil change.

IMG-20180830-WA0008.jpg

IMG-20180830-WA0007.jpg

IMG-20180830-WA0006.jpg

IMG-20180830-WA0005.jpg

IMG-20180830-WA0004.jpg

IMG-20180830-WA0003.jpg

Last edited:
Thread Starter #125

mayankdixit

Honoured Member
DIY Changing car /two wheeler engine oil at home. Dos and Don'ts

I appeal to my fellow members: this thread is as much yours as it is mine. There is no such thing here as exclusivity and mine only.Feel totally free to post whatever tools and small DIYs you do and you do not find appropriate place to post, or you do not want to create a new thread for the same.I will never feel(nor have ever felt in past)that my thread is hijacked or something. Your postings will benefit all the other members at one go and at one place i.e. here.

I have dedicated oil filter sockets for the job. Small sockets are for Maruti cars. Larger one is for XUV500.Other than this I have a flexible wrench/oil filter opener, which is very handy when none of the socket fits.
Changing engine oil is no rocket science. Its simple DIY. One must have the necessary tools, some will and patience, thats all.

first the DOs.
1)Ensure that the engine oil is warm, but not hot to burn your fingers. Warm oil flows freely and sump empties better.
2)Car should be under the jack stands and should be level and not tilted and all.
3)Use sockets and handle to open the sump nut but use torque wrench to tighten.
40Always lube up the washer ring/O-ring before tightening the oil filter.
IMG-20180830-WA0017.jpg

IMG-20180830-WA0016.jpg

IMG-20180830-WA0015.jpg

IMG-20180830-WA0022.jpg

IMG-20180830-WA0020.jpg

IMG-20180830-WA0019.jpg

IMG-20180830-WA0014.jpg

Last edited:
Thread Starter #126

mayankdixit

Honoured Member
Continuing from the above post.
The Dos

4) Always lube up the washer ring/O-ring before tightening the oil filter.
5) Tighten the oil filter by hand first and use wrench only at the last stage (for the 1/4th turn). That's enough otherwise the washer will be damaged.
6) Use a proper funnel and not some jugaad to pour engine oil .
7) Always use new copper washer for the sump nut, esp. for diesel engines.
8) Use dedicated sockets from the market for the oil filter. Poorly fitting jugaad wraps and chains and all in one filter wrench have a high chance of ruining the oil filter casing. It will leak and you will notice it when its too late.
9) Use some brick if you don't have a dedicated wooden chock/block/stopper at the rear wheels, so that car doesn't roll back suddenly.
10) Always clean the oil filter seat/mounting point nicely so that its clean of the old oil and grime, before tightening in the new filter.Use small torch if you cant see properly. Its usually dark there. Similarly clean the engine oil cap front and back before tightening it back.

Now some Don'ts.

1) DO NOT get under a car that's on hydraulic jacks. Even a Nano is enough to crush us weak humans. Always use secure jack stands.
2) Never open sump nut after a long drive. You'll burn your hands. Wait for sometime.
3) Never overtighten the oil filter as well as the sump nut. Use torque wrench here.
4) Always cover the engine opening under the bonnet with a cloth or something. Any loose thing falling inside and you are done for.
5) Don't raise the car from only one side like roadside mechanics do just to somehow get under the car ,as tilting will not empty the sump fully even when old oil flow stops dripping. I always ensure its level and not tilted to one side, and the sump is really empty before filling in new oil.
6) Don't rev the car like hell just after filling. First check the dipstick then start and let it idle for a bit so that the oil actually gets to circulate properly. Then after stopping the engine again check the dipstick after 15 minutes of stopping, for any anomaly.

Last edited:
@mayankdixit

Thanks for detailed info and warnings on DIY oil change. I have few queries as follows:

Use sockets and handle to open the sump nut but use torque wrench to tighten.

I don't have torque wrench so can I tighten the bolt by hand and snug fit with socket wrench? I will recheck after filling fresh oil for leaks.

Tighten the oil filter by hand first and use wrench only at the last stage (for the 1/4th turn)

On the oil filter it says 3/4 turn so do I really to turn as mentioned or 1/4 is sufficient?

Always use new copper washer for the sump nut, esp. for diesel engines.

I would be using new washer for drain bolt. Do I need to change bolt also?

Use dedicated sockets from the market for the oil filter.

So I should buy socket for removing/installing oil filter? rather then three legged or swivel wrench. Any idea how much the socket costs? Filter dia is 65mm

Thread Starter #128

mayankdixit

Honoured Member
1) Use sockets and handle to open the sump nut but use torque wrench to tighten.
I don't have torque wrench so can I tighten the bolt by hand and snug fit with socket wrench? I will recheck after filling fresh oil for leaks.
2) Tighten the oil filter by hand first and use wrench only at the last stage (for the 1/4th turn)
On the oil filter it says 3/4 turn so do I really to turn as mentioned or 1/4 is sufficient?
3) Always use new copper washer for the sump nut, esp. for diesel engines.
I would be using new washer for drain bolt. Do I need to change bolt also?
4) Use dedicated sockets from the market for the oil filter.
So I should buy socket for removing/installing oil filter? rather then three legged or swivel wrench.Any idea how much the socket costs?
1) Will do without it too. Torque wrench gets damaged if used for opening. You don't know how much tight it may be,while loosening but you know exactly how much you have to tighten it.
2) I meant 3/4 only. You are correct.
3) No need for bolt change. And in petrol cars No need for washer change also.
4) Three legged one will open the filter easily(you have to discard it anyway).Damage comes while tightening. Use a cloth on the filter, and on top of it use the legs of the wrench.[:)] I bought it for 155/-.

Best of luck and Do post pics and your experiences of the same.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #129

mayankdixit

Honoured Member
My XUVs new tyres are so mouthwateringly yummy, that I cannot pass up this opportunity. I want to chew them. I just had to do this, BEFORE mounting. Its just little bit, but gives me the satisfaction. I don't care If it doesn't last long.
Makes me happy now at least.

IMG-20180831-WA0004.jpg

IMG-20180831-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20180831-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20180831-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20180831-WA0000.jpg

IMG-20180831-WA0006.jpg

IMG-20180831-WA0008.jpg

IMG-20180831-WA0004.jpg

IMG-20180831-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20180831-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20180831-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20180831-WA0000.jpg

Last edited:
4) Three legged one will open the filter easily(you have to discard it anyway).Damage comes while tightening. Use a cloth on the filter, and on top of it use the legs of the wrench.[:)] I bought it for 155/-.
Oh ok. Damaging old filer is not a problem but new filter should be intact. Anyway, I will find oil filter socket from local market as its cheap and best. [:)]

Hopefully I will get all the stuffs next week and then will decided whether to do it myself or from FNG.

Thanks a lot...
Best Regards

Thread Starter #132

mayankdixit

Honoured Member
Bridgestone word has 11 letters in big font size. I wanted to colour but I don't want to put so much effort into it. Moreover I think bridgestone does not need my marketing. I am more proud of the size. I have never had this big tyres. So I painted only them ie the size marking.

P. S post some tools pictures. You have a lot of them, I know, since you are getting under your car so much!!

Last edited:
Bridgestone word has 11 letters in big font size. I wanted to colour but I don't want to put so much effort into it. Moreover I think bridgestone does not need my marketing. I am more proud of the size. I have never had this big tyres. So I painted only them ie the size marking.

P. S post some tools pictures. You have a lot of them, I know, since you are getting under your car so much!!
Yes doc i have been updating since page 4 of this thread [:)].Also as and when I get new stuff i shall update which i am doing so already [;)].Could you share details of your new tires

Thread Starter #134

mayankdixit

Honoured Member
You know the brand and specs already. They are highway terrain tyres, meant for as is obvious 90% highway use. This rubber is better than JK ELANZO which came OEM with the XUV. They are pricier too, than Apollo and JK and CEAT as well as MRFand Continental and Goodyear, which also come in this size viz.235/65 R17.
How they ride, I will tell you after I ride on them for couple of hundred kms.

Last edited:
Did you replace tyres as the old ones were worn out or as preventative maintenance after few years ? Certainly your ride quality and handling may be different until your new shoes settle down after a few hundred kms !may I know the price for your new and what you got for the old tyres

Top Bottom