My Tata Nano LX Saga

The blown gasket does not always give major issues initially. This depends on how big the opening in the gasket is and will it lead to significant compression loss else there will be coolant loss slowly till the engine gives way.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #77
The blown gasket does not always give major issues. This depends on how big the opening in the gasket is and will it lead to significant compression loss else there will be coolant loss slowly till the engine gives way.
Right now the car is with Tass . Any tips on how to convince those knuckle heads [frustration]. Last time I asked them to do a compression test I and the SA had a verbal duel [lol].

Right now the car is with Tass . Any tips on how to convince those knuckle heads [frustration]. Last time I asked them to do a compression test I and the SA had a verbal duel [lol].
I did the same thing with my friends car at the TASS. Just open the radiator cap and check once. If there is bubbling, just show them and ask from where is the fumes coming? The coolant is a closed circulation system and there should be no way that it mixes with oil since it flows around the sealed engine and only a opening in the engine jacket can mix the oil. This is usually at the gasket since that is the weakest part.
Before that, did you ever have over heating issue even once?

Thread Starter #79
I did the same thing with my friends car at the TASS. Just open the radiator cap and check once. If there is bubbling, just show them and ask from where is the fumes coming? The coolant is a closed circulation system and there should be no way that it mixes with oil since it flows around the sealed engine and only a opening in the engine jacket can mix the oil. This is usually at the gasket since that is the weakest part.
Before that, did you ever have over heating issue even once?
No Sir ! it never overheated before ! ill ask them to do that tomorrow on cold engine. Actually I did have heating issue once ! But that was due to no coolant . It was after this all this coolant saga started.

Last edited:
I think when the engine overheats, the engine head and the base expands and the gasket is stuck in between and might lead to failure. This is when i think the problem started. Tell them to check for gasket failure.

Thread Starter #81
I think when the engine overheats, the engine head and the base expands and the gasket is stuck in between and might lead to failure. This is when i think the problem started. Tell them to check for gasket failure.
conveyed the same to the CSM tata ! he has taken up the issue with the technical team at pune [clap]. lets see what they come up with

Thread Starter #82
Post extensive observation TASS guys have found coolant traces in the hose that connects to the heater core . So will be replacing the two hoses and coolant bottle since its dirty [lol] ! Anyways its still under warranty . But will have to wait for two more days since the main hose is not available as of now [frustration]! Will know if that fixes it only after they swap the hoses

Thread Starter #83
I got the car back on last Friday , they delivered the car at my office .. inspected it and signed the papers and got the BILL , took her into my office parking and took reverser to park .. and found that the reverse parking sensor had conked off [frustration]. I immediately called the SA and he decided to send his electrician to my office to tend to it . in 45 minutes the electrician showed up and I gave him the car to set it right . 30 mins later he calls up and says its done and when I went to get my car back . he said that the two left hand side sensors aren't working [frustration].

As I was running short on time I told ill look into it later and got the car.
Then
I spoke to the SA and the CRO and agreed to bring the car on Tuesday morning as I was out of station .

Later when I came back to town , I decided to inspect the coolant level before starting her up after 3 days . Upon removing the 6 bolts ( initially 4, two added upon request ) I was shocked to find only half the tank was filled . The coolant was between min and max level . [confused] Must have been lost while recirculation .
SO took her to the garage today and I had to send a cool half day ,there as the grease monkeys inspected for further leaks and topped up coolant and did a test run to check if it dropped down further .

Hope it stays that way

Later when I came back to town , I decided to inspect the coolant level before starting her up after 3 days . Upon removing the 6 bolts ( initially 4, two added upon request ) I was shocked to find only half the tank was filled . The coolant was between min and max level . [confused] Must have been lost while recirculation .
SO took her to the garage today and I had to send a cool half day ,there as the grease monkeys inspected for further leaks and topped up coolant and did a test run to check if it dropped down further .

Hope it stays that way
Coolant level shouldn't be full. There is a max level in the middle of the bottle. Can you share a pic here

bhvm

Honoured Member
Akmal, These Appointed ASS guys appear to be goofing around. They aren't trained well to get root of the problem. I suggest atleast get an "Opinion" of one of the expert Outside mechanics in your town. It'll save you headache & calls.

Thread Starter #86
Coolant level shouldn't be full. There is a max level in the middle of the bottle. Can you share a pic here
Yes Rahul , there's a max level in the bottle .. all the Tass here fills above that normally [frustration]
Akmal, These Appointed ASS guys appear to be goofing around. They aren't trained well to get root of the problem. I suggest atleast get an "Opinion" of one of the expert Outside mechanics in your town. It'll save you headache & calls.

I'm afraid that we don't have any qualified mech outside bro ... They all try to screw up something that's already good . If its Tass I can atleast escalate and get the job done .

Thread Starter #87
Update time !!!

The bothersome coolant issue has not yet been resolved ,SO after driving close to 2000kms in 2 months , the coolant level was again at minimum level [frustration] . Took the car to them again and informed the CSM , TATA MOTORS about the same .

They checked everything found that the rubber on the radiator cap had degraded and replaced it . Then the CSM suggested to have the engine gasket replaced if the problem persists .

Total damage : 1077 INR

parts replaced
1) clutch cable - due to jerky first gear ( I still feel no difference even after changing ) -400 INR
2) Wiper blade changed upon request -200 INR
3) Radiator cap -166 INR
4) labor - 170 INR

plus free water wash [:D]

Thread Starter #88
It been a really long time; since i had posted anything here. Quite a lot has happened in the mean time .

The troublesome coolant issue plaguing the car had stopped for some time . But the car was in a bad shape. It would splutter n choke in bad traffic . The Shocks started bottoming out and a lot more would come into picture when she's opened up.

Since i was quitting my job in pursue of my future ambitions, it was decided that the car would be kept at karaikudi. But the car was in no shape to do a 400Km + journey.
So the service was inevitable.

Unable to deal with TASS , I gave it to a FNG ; at the recommendation of a neighbor cabbie. He sure did take his own sweet time of 2 weeks to service it completely.

stuff changed :

Engine oil
air filter
break cylinders ( front)
rear wheel bearings
rear suspension
spark plugs

The break drums were machined a bit to reuse them again. After everything the bill came upto 12000 bucks including labor.

The car was all set to leave Chennai .

A parting shot :)

Attachments

I exchanged my Nano CX 2012 ODO 65000 Kms for 60 K with Tata Tigor. Still feel the void for NANO, loved my NANO to the core as it was my first car. I did Visakhapatnam - Mumbai and back without any issue and many such trips, she did 105 kmph for almost 60 kms on Hyderabad Ring Road.
Feel like buying back my Nano.[cry]
These were the last pictures before she was handed over to her new owner.

@ akmalazim Nice write up and many miles to go. Keep driving.

Attachments

Last edited:
Thread Starter #90
I exchanged my Nano CX 2012 ODO 65000 Kms for 60 K with Tata Tigor. Still feel the void for NANO, loved my NANO to the core as it was my first car. I did Visakhapatnam - Mumbai and back without any issue and many such trips, she did 105 kmph for almost 60 kms on Hyderabad Ring Road.
Feel like buying back my Nano.[cry]
These were the last pictures before she was handed over to her new owner.

@ akmalazim Nice write up and many miles to go. Keep driving.
Hello Nimu ,
First let me congratulate you one your new set of wheels. Nano is special in many ways and it being our first car makes it even more special. Nice pics of your nano along with your better half . I don't know if any other car will fit in our congested cities. please do start a new thread for your new Tigor as well .. We are keen on seeing your new beauty ;) . Happy motoring :)

Top Bottom