My Skoda Yeti: Ownership Review (Pete's Remapped, K&N & Bilstein B6)

Thread Starter #61
re: My Skoda Yeti: Ownership Review (Now Pete's Remapped and K&N filters)

Added another 500 km post Pete's remap. I was with an impression that an engine remap would make it more loud and harsh sounding.
  • Engine sounds more refined now; very close to that of my m-hawk at low RPMs and almost no sound as the speed gets picked up. While doing those short solo (lazy) drives, I have started to roll down the front window glasses just to enjoy the engine note/grunt.
  • The acceleration ( in all gears ) is more linear
  • Power at your disposal from 1000 RPM onwards

DSC_2100.jpg

Last edited:

Thats a perfect upgrade!
Congrats , will be a good experience post the remap on the yeti, the gear shifts will decrease too..

Thread Starter #63

Thats a perfect upgrade!
Congrats , will be a good experience post the remap on the yeti, the gear shifts will decrease too..
Yes Sir, its real fun to throw the Yeti around post remap which I couldn't even imagine with my earlier cars.

A small update:
I had some personal work at Shobha City at Thrissur yesterday. After finishing the work on my way back, I made a quick visit to Pinnacle Skoda just to get the status of the air filter post remap. The plan was to get a new one if found dirty. It only had a slight bit of dust which was removed and the same was placed back. Also got the tyre air pressure corrected to 32psi as the ride was a bit bumpy.

On reaching home, there found some excessive engine vibration/noise at idle which I ignored for a while. The same thing was observed today morning as well. It was when I noticed the idling rpm at 1000 ( instead of 800 ), I called up Mr.Vinu at Pete’s who promptly asked if I touched any wiring to which I said no. Before calling Skoda, I opened the bonnet and checked if there any wiring around the air filter area. Didn’t find anything apart from a pin just above the air filter compartment which too was found alright. Just gave it a slight press before closing the bonnet. Got in and cranked. Pleasantly surprised to see that the engine is back to the relaxed 800 rpm at idle. Was keeping a close watch on the issue the whole day.

Have an early morning drive to Munnar and it already started raining heavily as I type :)

Last edited:

Added another 500 km post Pete's remap. I was with an impression that an engine remap would make it more loud and harsh sounding.
  • Engine sounds more refined now; very close to that of my m-hawk at low RPMs and almost no sound as the speed gets picked up. While doing those short solo (lazy) drives, I have started to roll down the front window glasses just to enjoy the engine note/grunt.
  • The acceleration ( in all gears ) is more linear
  • Power at your disposal from 1000 RPM onwards

View attachment 245728
Amazing Update to your YETI, you have almost completely transformed the car.
What are the post remap figures of the car?
i feel envy how the diesel engines can be remapped to owners liking and nature and nothing in the remap industry for the NA Petrol Engines[frustration]

Thread Starter #65

Amazing Update to your YETI, you have almost completely transformed the car.
What are the post remap figures of the car?
i feel envy how the diesel engines can be remapped to owners liking and nature and nothing in the remap industry for the NA Petrol Engines[frustration]
Thanks. If you meant those charts and curves, I didn’t bother getting them but trust me, suddenly our roads have become inadequate and limiting. BTW, I returned from Munnar to Palakkad yesterday night. At 100-110 kmph (my usual speed on highways) the engine was at a relaxed 1900-2000 rpm and even at 2450 rpm region Yeti was cruising at 140 kmph with absolutely no harsh engine noise at all. More importantly, even at that speed, the car was rock solid with plenty of juice left to sprint further more. The superb handling + braking of this mini-beast is what makes it very special and remap friendly.

Re: Now Pete's remapped !

Not just the look, but the heart itself has been transformed in to a real beast.
Yeti got Pete’s remapped today. Drove back home to Palakkad from Kochi after the remap.
Now surplus power at any spot. No need to keep downshifting; No more fear of stalling. No dead spot and no lags. You can do those quick overtaking man-oeuvres even while being at 5th gear. Downshift to 4th or 3rd and then press the pedal a bit, the car just takes off. With the new brake discs + pads bedded in well and also with the wider Conti shoes, it was just an exhilarating experience behind the wheel this afternoon.
The FE looks to be down by around 1 km/L which I think is fine considering the performance advantage the remap has brought in. The acceleration is just brutal :biggrin:
Congrats, what are the bhp and torque figures now?

Thread Starter #68

Kerala Monsoon, this year, is quite nasty. Thanks to the continuous downpour, the roads getting waterlogged is a common sight these days. Those killer pot-holes have started to appear fast. The other day, I was driving down from Munnar at around midnight. With heavy rain and then thick fog, I could see hardly anything in front. Crawled on first gear for some 40-50km or so around Adimaly. The white light from the LEDs did not help either. The SWF wiper blades are of high quality and have been doing a superb job.

Yeti is all set for a Palakkad - Bangalore drive tomorrow. [:)]

DSC_2089.jpg

Thread Starter #69

Had a quick dash to Bangalore and back last weekend. The best driving experience ever !
Current ODO reading: 70200 km
  • At cold start, the idling RPM is slightly higher at 880-900. After a couple of kilometres once the engine is warmed up, it comes down to a more relaxed 800ish
  • While coming back from bangalore after having driven for 2.5 hours while being parked for a coffee, it shot up again to 900-910. On restarting the engine it came down to 800 again. When at 900, the engine vibration filters in which is annoying a bit. Should I get it checked ?
  • My regular highway speed on 4-lane now is 110-120 kmph and on a slight further mild press/touch on the pedal, you are cruising at 130-140 kmph on those 6-lane stretches. Remember, even at that stage the pedal is only just about half way mark; for anything beyond that our roads are simply inadequate/unsafe. I was giving company to an X1 and a C-Class from Palakkad to Salem during my onward journey. [:)]No drama; silent and composed all the way.
  • Spirited driving + wider tyres = a drop in the FE to around 14kmpL
  • Mind blowing quality levels, no rattle or sounds – absolute beauty of a vehicle. The music and the lighting are working flawlessly
  • Could source a pair of mud flaps for the front. Unable to find online a pair for the rear in India
On the way to Krishnagiri !
IMG20180713183817-2.jpg

Last edited:

Congratulations Manoj !!! The Yeti Looks great. My Yeti just did 105000 Km and a recent 7000 KM drive to Spit from Bangalore. It feels rock solid and still brings a smile everytime I see the car parked. I would like to know about how you got the alloys coated as they add a nice detail to the overall stance of the white Yeti.

Thread Starter #71

I would like to know about how you got the alloys coated as they add a nice detail to the overall stance of the white Yeti.
Thanks. I had bought it while in China and brought it along. It is some rubber based stuff which can be peeled off once you get bored of it. [:)]
Current ODO reading: 70200 km
Correction: 71200 km

Update: K&N air filter installed [:)][:)]

IMG20180719101255.jpg

The OE filter wasn’t dirty as it had just run about 6-8k km or so. The K & N is lighter and much smaller (thinner). The drive has become even more refined now. Did not notice any additional pick-up; but the same super performance in a more (significantly more ) refined manner. Very much noticeable when in the north of 110kmph !
IMG20180719095028.jpg

Last edited:

You are seriously reliving a lot of old experiences & leading to new experiences. Congrats, man! Any noticeable difference in city driving conditions?

Thread Starter #73

You are seriously reliving a lot of old experiences & leading to new experiences. Congrats, man! Any noticeable difference in city driving conditions?
Thanks CS.
Any noticeable difference in city driving conditions?
Definitely more refined. Just gotten it installed today. Was taking it light on the pedal and was able to crawl even in the third gear on a light foot. Will check the FE and report.

At Walayar, on the way back from Coimbatore.
IMG20180719112243.jpg

Last edited:
Thread Starter #74
Re: My Skoda Yeti: Ownership Review (Now Pete's Remapped and K&N filters)

Update:
Got the 3M Rodent repellent coating @ 3M car care, Coimbatore (Trichy road) for the engine bay. Just a couple of more weeks of stay in India. Will be parked at home mostly after that, hence thought of giving Yeti a rat repellent treatment.
Exceptional experience from every single one out there. Highly recommended ![thumbsup]
IMG20180719093431.jpg

The vehicle was driven in at around 9.30 am. As I had called them up the previous day, it was taken in immediately. After waiting for half an hour or so for the engine area to cool down a bit, gave it a thorough wash and then dried immediately. After having the entire area cleaned manually, the coating was done. The following areas received the application
  • The entire engine bay under the hood
  • All four wheel wells
Waited for another half an hour or so while the entire glass area were given a complimentary detailing/cleaning
They claim that the coating would last 6 months. Hope it works. Costed me something around 1400 INR
Drove away at around 11.00am [:)]

IMG20180719101831.jpg

IMG20180719104532.jpg

Thread Starter #75
The ODO reading just a couple of days before I left India last month. The ODO should read close to 74000 now.
ODO.png

During my last week before I flew out, the following additives were used. The Yeti had covered some 10k km since the last service, most of which were post remap. Also, I felt some slight cluttered noise at cold start and inconsistent high idle RPM when AC is on (around 900 instead of a more relaxed 800), hence thought of trying these additives
  • Abro diesel fuel injector cleaner
  • Abro Premium oil treatment
Abro diesel Injector cleaner:
  • The engine seemed to have gotten slightly more refined overall. But no improvement on the cold start sound + erratic idle RPM
  • No improvement on the FE
  • Application: One bottle per 30-35L of diesel
Abro premium oil treatment
  • The engine got further silent, significantly. It drove as if it was running on Petrol.
  • The cold start smoothened out.
  • The idle rpm thingy still shows up, but once in a week or so; the frequency reduced.
  • The FE seemed to be the same.
Yeti must have done close to 12000km after I got her in my possession. Apart from one regular service, it drove like new with absolutely no rattle or creak or any sort. An absolute gem of a car.

Top Bottom