My Skoda Yeti: Ownership Review (Pete's Remapped, K&N & Bilstein B6)

Thread Starter #46
re: My Skoda Yeti: Ownership Review, Now Pete's remapped !

Yup Mahindra's quality of a few parts ought to increase.
Looks like even Skoda s service has improved exponentially. Free pick and drop , free car wash and a free car care kit. [clap]. Looks like they want to keep these small club of yeti owners happy.
Btw post a few pictures of your yeti with the new tyres.
I am not a believer of FOC cosmetic stuff; would take prompt service and availability of parts instead.
Shall post pictures this weekend as I am not in India currently.

Sorry Mr.Manoj,as i was running down with eye infection,i couldn't reply to your post,anyways glad that you got the new set of Wiper blades.

bhvm

Honoured Member

I was partially wrong:lol!: So the front + rear brake pads cost 30k. But isn't that too expensive given that we replace our Scorpio s front brake pads for 7000 and are the parts readily available with your service centre ?
This is inline with my Fortuner 3.0 4x4 service costs on toyota ASC. This is expected where parts are partially imported or developed with royalties of specialty brands. Enjoy the beast.

Thread Starter #49

Update:

The Pinnacle Skoda @Thrissur got the parts shipped and the vehicle picked up. The work is in progress. All these in my absence – very prompt, pro-active and professional so far. The vehicle will be dropped back home this evening. I will have an early morning 100 km drive tomorrow and shall feedback here.

Thread Starter #50

Sorry Mr.Manoj,as i was running down with eye infection,i couldn't reply to your post,anyways glad that you got the new set of Wiper blades.
No problems. Take care.
Update:
The vehicle is on its way back home. All the 4 brake pad sets + 4 discs + brake fluid replaced. The total damage = Rs.24900

Thread Starter #51

Had a short break back home. Post service, Yeti drives even better. Most importantly, I did quite a few add on DIYs. Some bling too, like this one [:)]
More on these later.
DSC_1100-2.jpg

Thread Starter #52

Another DIY job. Took some good 4 hours for the job. Got this from China, a custom made Yeti specific steering wheel leather wrap. Came with nylon thread + needle +3M tape. Final out put, quite satisfactory and the feel + grip, both are top-notch now.

DSC_1110.jpg

Thread Starter #53

ODO: 66500
  • Post service, the vehicle has become smoother and the engine noise is hardly heard inside now. I had even pushed it once to 140 kmph on a 4-lane empty stretch and the refinement is top-notch now. Yeti was still eager to sprint further, but then one needs to respect Kerala roads. Had done a DIY dampening for the entire car against wind/engine noise. This Yeti specific pack was purchased while in China, which comprised of sealing strips of various size/shapes that came with 3M tapes. The new Conti shoes have taken care of the tyre noise and it is minimum now.
  • The new brake pads + Discs meant excellent confidence while braking and all that shuddering is no more now
  • The wider tyres + Yeti's inbuilt high speed stability and handling meant awesome driving experience. Had taken it along the Shornur-Thrissur stretch with rough surface all along and the Yeti dismissed all those ugly patch works and little pot-holes with utter arrogance. No 'thuds' and bouncing whatsoever = no slowing down at all.
  • FE = surprisingly, didn't notice any change at all, post service
  • Having said that, the initial lag is still an irritant, one needs to keep shifting gears for the right momentum, not a big deal though.
DSC_1130-2.jpg

Thread Starter #54

Got the following installed and the mini-brute is ready for a two month stint in monsoon.[:)]
  • SWF wiper blades, both front and rear
  • MBQ powered/active Sub-Woofer inside the spare wheel. Took some 3 hours for the entire process. There were no RCA out on the stock Skoda HU; had to slice up the speaker lines. The effect is just mind blowing = clear, crisp and tight bass. It complements, with its superb low/mid, the already very good Skoda OE set up. My neighbourhood car accessory shop guys were shocked to experience the output. Pictures in a couple of days.
  • Philips H4 Ultinon LED 6000K P-43t : Got it installed yesterday. The built is better than those Chinese/local brands. The focus seems fine for the low, haven’t tested thoroughly though. The initial impression is that there is no significant improvement in the visibility. There is some initial flickering/strobing as the car is turned on/off, which I think is normal. Views on this from the experts are welcome. This one is supposed to come with 'safe-beam' technology which is supposed to reduce glare and specifically designed to be used with normal reflectors. I will be able to update on the experience tomorrow as I will be driving up to Munnar area early morning

bhvm

Honoured Member

1 Pics please!

2. There should be no flickering. You need a relay or some load resistor setup.

3. For correctness of beam pattern and beam quality, check with halogen in one side and compare beam with led in other. Beam should maintain integrity.

Thread Starter #56

Driving along these Kerala roads in Monsoon is to be experienced indeed. Seeing Yeti covered in dirt isn’t a bad feeling either. It was just a couple of days back I had given it a though DIY detailing including waxing/polishing
DSC_2039.jpg

3. For correctness of beam pattern and beam quality, check with halogen in one side and compare beam with led in other. Beam should maintain integrity.
Thank you.
Just did a 250 km drive in Kerala rains - on 2/4-lane roads and twisty hill roads (towards Munnar). The low beam is just fine with the OE fogs. Did not use the high much. But the LED set up is worth a buy, IMHO, for the instant flashing like those on the higher end luxury cars. It's so powerful that the entire traffic around you gives you the way as soon as you strike it a couple of times = minimum use of your brakes [:)] Simply amazing. For the low, beam pattern and quality is as good as the OE halogen. I guess this Philips comes equipped with some sort of plate for the right/effective focus for the low. Also that it can NOT be used with projectors = specifically designed for the regular reflector types.
Please see the info here: https://www.ledoauto.com/blog/index.php/2017/04/24/new-installed-led-lights-in-your-euro-car-flicker-is-it-defect-problem/
This strobing effect is not a defect, but is in fact a regular process in European cars involving their onboard computers (also called OBC). If you watched the short video above of a BMW starting up and its lights strobing, you can see it only lasts about 1-2 seconds before functioning normally. In these few seconds of strobing, the onboard computer sends out electrical impulses to all car lights to make sure that they are functioning properly and are not burnt out. If a light bulb doesn’t pass the OBC check, the electrical impulse will not go through and the OBC will show error to tell you which bulb is out.
The reason why your LED bulb strobes is because LED chip are very sensitive to power. A small amount of energy is enough to light up the LED chips in led bulb so when you start up your car, the electrical impulses being sent is just enough to power the LED bulbs, resulting in the strobing effect. While incandescent bulbs are not, this small amount of energy can’t let it light up.
it’s more of a strobing effect rather than a flickering or flashing effect. The strobing is actually a common occurrance among newly installed LED light bulbs and is nothing to worry about.
I did follow this and found it exactly same as mentioned here. I guess a relay/resistor would eliminate this, but is it really needed ?

[:)]
DSC_2032.jpg

Last edited:

bhvm

Honoured Member

1. the thing is called a glare shield that comes with all oem halogen bulbs. like a small leaf over low beam filament. quality led bulbs replicate this for having decent beam pattern.

2. no. don't Install relay or resistor if this isn't causing any problem. I hope Philips has thought of this and the capacitors/circuit Can take a few flashes at startup.

3. H4 bulb standard won't work with projectors. there's h7 , d2s, hb3 for that. projectors don't required glare shields as shield is inbuilt into the projector.

Thread Starter #60
Now Pete's remapped !

Someone is Scorpio-ing his Yeti! Making it more butch...
Not just the look, but the heart itself has been transformed in to a real beast.
Yeti got Pete’s remapped today. Drove back home to Palakkad from Kochi after the remap.
Now surplus power at any spot. No need to keep downshifting; No more fear of stalling. No dead spot and no lags. You can do those quick overtaking man-oeuvres even while being at 5th gear. Downshift to 4th or 3rd and then press the pedal a bit, the car just takes off. With the new brake discs + pads bedded in well and also with the wider Conti shoes, it was just an exhilarating experience behind the wheel this afternoon.
The FE looks to be down by around 1 km/L which I think is fine considering the performance advantage the remap has brought in. The acceleration is just brutal :biggrin:

Top Bottom