My Red Highway King: Mahindra XUV500 W8 Ownership Review

Thread Starter #301

mayankdixit

Honoured Member
Excellent Information. However I must say we Both are slightly Lucky.
As I am also a part of XUV whatsapp Group, I see tons of Complaints regards to rust. People have had their entire doors, Boot Etc replaced in warranty due to rust. Front Door rust is most common.
Just look at the silver coloured axle-knuckle 4 photos earlier . Zero rusting! Honestly If I compare the rusting issues on the forum /internet with other brands eg like hyundai ,I will feel more than lucky. Mahindra XUV problems and rusting etc will look like peanuts,as compared to problems in Creta,new gen grand i10,etc (just have a look at the other forum).
When I went through all the details,I felt humbled and came back down to earth! I expected more from these international brands. Mahindra,(although is not totally innocent in niggles and issues) is a toffee,in comparison to the bitter pill these other owners were given. Cherish it while it's in the mouth.

Last edited:
Some of the lug nuts are turning round at the edges.
Yes, ditto in my ex-XUV 500. When I faced the first puncture in a midnight during a Bangalore>Chennai drive, I could not loosen those worn-out nuts. A cop patrolling the highway stopped by, enquired and arranged for help by stopping a lorry. I faced a similar situation at Leh. Even the puncture repair guy could not loosen them! Eventually, I replaced all the nuts in the next service. Contrary to that experience, I myself easily replaced the punctured tyre twice in my Nexon without any problem during 2019 Leh trip.

bhvm

Honoured Member
Apparently Mahindra ASCs have been Over-tightening the Nuts. They ruined my Lug nuts too. Hence, since 2nd or 3rd service I think I stopped doing any tyre works (Rotation, Balancing) with them.

XUV has very few rust spots overall,as compared to say my erstwhile swift. Moreover I have used it more roughly than my other cars.In that way it has top notch paint quality and underbody corrosion protection.Still there are some rare spots where rust starts appearing because of underbody stone damages and chipping. I constantly look out for them. For that I have to crawl under my XUV many times.
तुम गाड़ी के नीचे ज्यादा बैठे मिलते हो, सीट पर कम मिलते हो,complains my wife all the time . Maybe she is correct. But I have no complaints. I love, loving my XUV!!

These are the rust spots
View attachment 277310 View attachment 277311

After sanding vigorously !!!
View attachment 277312

Sanding continued
View attachment 277313

Sanding continued
View attachment 277314

Sanding still very much continued !!
View attachment 277315

After 1st coat of paint
View attachment 277316 View attachment 277317 View attachment 277319 View attachment 277320 View attachment 277321

Finally covering whole area
View attachment 277322 View attachment 277323 View attachment 277325
Sir apply a rust converter and then the a paint for better rust proofing

Thread Starter #306

mayankdixit

Honoured Member
Sir apply a rust converter and then the a paint for better rust proofing
Thanks for your advice. I plan to work upon it.Do you have a brand for recommendation?
Since I have Zero experience with these rust converters,may I ask about any previous experience of yours regarding these.?

Thanks for your advice. I plan to work upon it.Do you have a brand for recommendation?
Since I have Zero experience with these rust converters,may I ask about any previous experience of yours regarding these.?
Yes I use a rust converter from tuf-kote RC 800. The floor board of my 800 has seen rusting and I removed the carpet also sanded and applied this solution.It turns the metal black after reaction forming a barrier ..over this I painted with spray paint..so far it's holding up good..
The same solution I have used even on the iron gates in my residence also with good effect
Even pidilite company has rust converter solution

Thread Starter #310

mayankdixit

Honoured Member
Nothing special. Muscle exercise plus waxpol. I don't have much fancy stuff, when it comes to polishes.
And thanks for your compliments.

My belief is that it is Love which you see, glowing on the car. It's never been polish,but always love, when ever you see shining on any car or a bike or a scooter.
It has never ever been the polish.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #311

mayankdixit

Honoured Member
Just like that ,my B pillar Air vent behind driver seat has stopped throwing out air. I inspected it, and found out that the wheel shaped air controller has been not working properly. Instead of opening and closing the vent It is now freewheeling!!
So now it is permanently closed, with the wheel in no control at all.
Since it's out of warranty, I will look into it myself.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #312

mayankdixit

Honoured Member
Just like that ,my B pillar Air vent behind driver seat has stopped throwing out air. I inspected it, and found out that the wheel shaped air controller has been not working properly. Instead of opening and closing the vent It is now freewheeling!! So now it is permanently closed

This silver coloured wheel at the bottom of these pics is broken/ not opening the air flow as before .Problem is that I have no idea how and what to do.
How do I go about removing it,and can I mend it or should I replace it??
I want to avoid ASS in this time of corona crisis. Somehow I have to learn by magic how to remove or detach it from the base plastic trim and then only after inspection I can decide. I have not done it before,how will I do it?? ( just like in Matrix,Trinity learns to fly the chopper within seconds, as skip is on the phone line helping on the other end)

IMG-20200627-WA0028.jpg
IMG-20200627-WA0029.jpg

Sorry for the Matrix rant .I couldn't help it,as I am really in a soup here,and was doing wishful thinking.

Last edited:

Top Bottom