My Red Highway King: Mahindra XUV500 W8 Ownership Review

Thread Starter #136

mayankdixit

Honoured Member
Hello vinod ,I am fine and i have still not brought up the courage to use red chilly powder.I am at present using the old conventional choohedani for trapping the culprits.So far its working fine ,but I agree it is messy.I can understand you have overseas commitments,but whenever you have time lets meet up.

Last edited:
Hi Mayank, Try lal mirch ka powder, just in small measure, its effective, just keep in mind not to use the fresh air ventilation mode, or you will have the chilli fumes inside the car.

Alternatively, as XUV's engine bay is large, get some wire brushes from the local hardware store, and tie the same with the white ties, this is also effective, to keep the rodents away.

Thread Starter #138

mayankdixit

Honoured Member
How will the wire brush dissuade the rats. Maybe I am missing something. Do give me some more information.

The wire brushes are very hard and sharp, which really hurt, so be careful while putting them also, rats/rodents avoid places which cause harm to them.

A XUV chap has installed it on the rat menace thread on tbhp.

Someone has used bottle brushes, as per attached, you could give it a try, less painful for humans, i suppose.

Source:

How do you protect your car from rats? - Page 80 - Team-BHP

bhvm

Honoured Member
guys this is a novel idea but I don't quite like it.
what if the brushes fall loose and get caught in belts etc? it will be a disaster.

other issue could be rattling & scratches inside engine bay.

Thread Starter #141

mayankdixit

Honoured Member
Actually there are 100 different pathways if not more,from where rats could come up the engine bay. When you stop one way they will come up from another way. How many tar brush one can use. You will need more than 50 for covering the entire engine bay. So it will be impractical.

Thread Starter #142

mayankdixit

Honoured Member
When rats make your car their home,well ,god help you.[evil]They simply don't walk away.There are only two ways out of this situation.1) Catch them,and dispose them off. and 2)put a cat inside the engine bay permanently. Well,for me the first option is easier and more practical.[:D]

Last edited:
Thread Starter #143

mayankdixit

Honoured Member
Well,on this sunday I did kanpur to lucknow trip in xuv.It was just 170 kms total distance to and fro.The important thing was that I am still getting 17-18 km/litre on the highways,and last trip was no exception.[:D]But within the city its a whole different story,not worth mentioning.[;)]

bhvm

Honoured Member
Mayank, that's really fantastic mileage for such a beastly vehicle. I'm usually getting 11-12.5 on decent smooth highways. I get about 14 on not so smooth highways!

city fe is about 10.8. only.

Thread Starter #145

mayankdixit

Honoured Member
bhvm first of all thanks for your motivational thumbs ups . Honestly you are the most benevolent member here on the forum.You give more than what you get.One day ,who knows,you will be a moderator.You do have many of their qualities.
Yes I am not that heavy footed,as my brothers.But I do not baby the XUV at all.I hate pressing the clutch.Maybe that helps.I do not know.Xuv has looong clutch travel.But at least its soft.Bumper to bumper traffic requires frequent clutch usage.And I do not like that at all.Many times in first or third gear Xuv still (its not new anymore)lurches forward with such speed without throttle input,that I feel I will end up overrunning something[lol].But secretly I also love this trait,as its a boon on highways.[:)]

Thread Starter #146

mayankdixit

Honoured Member
About a week back I have successfully completed the journey from kanpur to gangtok and darjeeling in my xuv. The journey was without any hiccups except that the left horn of xuv stopped working in the last leg of journey.

bhvm

Honoured Member
Maybe the wiring or connector came loose in rough patches.
Congrats on the achievement. Do share lots of pics & Vids.

Thread Starter #148

mayankdixit

Honoured Member
man,I knew it in my heart,that the very first thumps up will be from you only,and I was correct! And you picked it in minutes.Thanks for your moral booster.
Regarding the horn ,you are spot on.Yes the wire was cut as I found out later on.Its because of the tight end connection leaving no room for the play the horn undergoes (on rough patches of road).
I added extended wires and connectors for future safety and now the horn sounds as always.
In this trip total distance was 2300 kms,ie 1150 kms one way.There was a lot of jam near and around siliguri.Still Xuv gave me an average of 17.00kms per litre.I may not save much,in rupees,but the added satisfaction this figure gives me is worth it.

Thread Starter #149

mayankdixit

Honoured Member
As there was not much to report,there was silence from my side. In the meantime I completed the holy trip to GANGOTRI, via rishikesh.I fount the trip was challenging for any driver.I faced difficulties on too narrow roads.The bends were very treacherous.One mistake and you meet your maker,along with the family.It was scary many times.
Ac of my xuv is misbehaving.It starts cooling fine,and then after sometime,airflow decreases, as well as cooling drops.I do not know what the issue might be.XUV mates can chip in,maybe.

Top Bottom