My Red Highway King: Mahindra XUV500 W8 Ownership Review

Thread Starter #106

mayankdixit

Honoured Member
bhvm ...The best thing I do when Vehicle is parked for Weeks is turn on the Vehicle and enjoy some music with Engine running. Its Great fun and the battery also gets charged.
I wonder why I never thought about this simple thing.Thanks bhvm, your advice is simple to follow.But when I see you playing with bulbs and lights of XUV,man that scares the lights(pun intended) out of me.That advice to us fellow members is difficult(at least for me) and puzzling to follow.I can only admire but cant copy you there.BTW have you gone ahead with fortuner tyre on xuv thing,?This thing I will do like a copycat,because I will love to have a little more G.C on my XUV.I know kinshuk might not agree.
spare me doctor saab, I am not even married
Vipulji,Are you serious, that automotive acumen+business competence+voracious appetite for reading and replying everyone and I mean EVERYONE on forum and writing reviews,and guiding fellow members,and doing whatnot+doing what you do professionally( including driving allover north India like a maniac).All that experience at this age and you're not married !!!Seriously I am jealous(not about being unmarried part though).

bhvm

Honoured Member
mayankdixit,

I'm glad to be of help.
Everyone starts as a Novice and learns by experience only. I have to admit that XUV lights are most difficult to modify however going slow and taking advice from expert members on each step is the way to go. My thunderbolt has been out since 15 days on a 5000km trip and I haven't found time to try the fortuner tyres. Other problem is that there is no tyre installation facility in my town (which can handle TPMS tyres) so I need to combine it with visits to a metro city and all these things are difficult to combine.

Else, I guess Vipulji is able to do ALL this BECAUSE he is unmarried. What say vipul sir?

@Doctor Saab:
I can disclose all the secrets only if you keep that scary needle back in your bag :biggrin:
Well, as mentioned by BHVM sirji, maybe it's because I am an unmarried chap who is unemployed too. Result: Enough of the free time to annoy other members :tongue:

Also BHVM sirji, no 'sir' for me please; that makes me feel a part of 'mid-life-crisis-gang' :stupid:

Last edited:
Thread Starter #109

mayankdixit

Honoured Member
Very small comparo between Tata safari storme 400(mahindra would have called it four-oh-oh,no doubt about it),new scorpio,and my old xuv.I test drove both in last two weeks.
First of all,Lets be clear,I was,and am still,to a lesser extent than before, biased strongly against tata.Reason-my colleagues petrol manza with saffire engine gave all sorts of problems in 6 years of ownership.Ultimately it had major engine overhaul.Even then it was a pain to maintain.He sold it in sept2015 and bought petrol ciaz and is enjoying the hassle free 1.4 kb series with maruti service.
STORM 400.vs Scorpio
In case of safari it was a shock as well as surprise in a good way.Its very- very comfortable and cosy to drive,especially over undulations and rough patches,like riding over a speed breaker or a 5-6 inch high divider.Pick up is good but still xuv throttle input is better.I did not miss the gizmos (while test driving) at all,lacking in the safari.Interior is very premium looking with soft touch plastics used everywhere.View from the seat over the bonnet and road is better than my xuv.The worst thing was when I climbed out of the last row, there was no way you can do it without putting your foot over the painted part.That hurt.Scorpio is much better here.Scorpio bumper flexes but took my wt. easily.
Scorpio is more practical than safari.But even after the gizmos given now, it is less plush,and less premium feeling than safari.
Safari suspension is best out of all the three
.Its muted and non-jarring,unlike some deep potholes in xuv.Safari has better insulation from out side noise than scorpio.Tata has done a wonderful job in safari.Its a very capable vehicle and now I understand why it has a cult following.
BUT,scorpio is good in every other way!!Its more practical,more easily chukable in the city,and more easily parkable too.
While driving safari I felt I was driving a huge vehicle,but scorpio despite of the bulk felt more compact and smaller and drivable and turnable(maneuverable).
One peculiar thing I found out while driving over the same stretch in both cars.People are scared of me in scorpio,they give way,but not so in the bigger and heavier safari.!Why so?Even my xuv gets more respect from the Autos and bikewallas,as compared to safari.But its lesser than scorpio,which gets the max respect.
My mind says Scorpio is better,but my heart liked the safari and its plush ride more.Funny,because of my previous bias against tata.
If I go back in time and I have to plonk my money on one of them,will I choose storm400 or scorpio?
Answer: Neither of the two!!.I will again choose XUV,because of the flat and planted ride on the highway,confidence inspiring high speed turning maneuvers,monstrous pickup and beautiful looks and all the gizmos which I love(safari fans may hate them,but TPMS saved my 15000 rs tyres twice,after puncture.Moreover despite of 156bhp and all ,xuv still feels faster than storm,in the city as well as the highway.I wonder how was the previous safari storm,on the highway?

bhvm

Honoured Member
your observations are spot on.

Safari- Magic carpet ride. very nice suspension and seats.

Scorpio- the vehicle of don! don't mess with me.

xuv- a modern NASA robot! way too many circuits and electronics. also, what hooked me to xuv was bomb like acceleration and just as good top speed (good enough to beat audis and BMW! ).

even the new Safari 400 shall loose to xuv on highway owing due to softer suspension.

Thread Starter #112

mayankdixit

Honoured Member
sorry bhvm,there was nothing to report/update, at all.(even my sorry is coming late,I understand).Meanwhile I continue staring at you in wonder how you coolly go about fixing different owners vehicle lights and throw and spread and wiring, all over India(on the forum I mean). Man you have some skill!![clap]
In the meantime I keep on looking under my xuv for rats ,after the super rat tragedy with happy ending,of our moderators xuv.[;)]

Last edited:
Thread Starter #113

mayankdixit

Honoured Member
You know its somewhat good in a way,that all xuv owners are silent now a days.It only means 2 things. Either they are not facing any new niggles,and their vehicles are performing quietly with no faults, OR their XUVs are all parked and with the owners having no time or nowhere to go.With me its a bit of both.[:D]

You know its somewhat good in a way,that all xuv owners are silent now a days.It only means 2 things. Either they are not facing any new niggles,and their vehicles are performing quietly with no faults, OR their XUVs are all parked and with the owners having no time or nowhere to go.With me its a bit of both.[:D]
For me its the first option, even though I havent done any cross country runs from the past 1 year, Optimus is still averaging out close to 1000kms a month even in city runs.

you guessed it right..it's option 2 with me. BTW today is my thunderbolts birthday!
Happy Birthday Thunderbolt.

Thread Starter #116

mayankdixit

Honoured Member
Congratulations bhvm on your xuvs birthday. May your xuv get a new big brother in your garage (ford mighty endeavour )as a companion.

Last edited:

bhvm

Honoured Member
thanks guys!
I'll be leaving on 700km trip tomorrow with thunderbolt.

BTW a Ford? that would be beautiful. however I'm totally satisfied by xuv & i10 in my garage. and they're staying here for a long time. the latest addition to my garage are actually 2 rescued pups (butter & scotch). they're healthy and in tune now.

Thread Starter #118

mayankdixit

Honoured Member
More is never bad idea.Who knows you may want to go for one in future. It will suit you best. And when you plan to sell it I plan to buy it from you because it's way beyond my budget now

bhvm

Honoured Member
sure.
but you're asking about xuv or endeavour?

I just hope I don't dissapoint you. because I tend to cling to my possessions for decades if not more. Ha Ha.

Top Bottom