My Precious Blue Diamond: Tata Nexon XZA+ AMT D

Thread Starter #1
Meet my precious Blue Diamond [Blue D]: Nexon XZA+ AMT Diesel, which is my first automatic, first compact SUV, first Tata car, first dual-tone, second blue shade, second car from the Ranjangaon plant of FCA-Tata Motors, the first one being my erstwhile Linea, second diesel, the first one being my former XUV 500, the third car manufactured in Maharashtra, the first two being my ex-Linea and XUV 500, the list goes on and on.

DSC09308.JPG

Accompanied by my wife and children, I took delivery of her on 6 July 2018, Friday evening from TAFE Access, Anna Salai, Chennai.

DSC09312.JPG
DSC09315.JPG
DSC09322.JPG

Earlier, I booked with an advance of ₹ 10 k on 14 June 2018 after a long test-drive on the beautiful roads of Marina beach as I was fully impressed with the top AMT variant. In 2017, I had 3 test-drives of XZ+ diesel variant, one each with Concorde, Guindy, Chennai, Concorde, Mysore Road, Bangalore and Prerana, Lal Bagh Road, Bangalore. But then, I decided to wait for the launch of AMT variant. My expectation was fulfilled only in July, 2018.

DSC09327.JPG

Out of 76 k km, my ex XUV 500 must have carried 6/7/8 persons for a distance less than 5% and 5 persons or less for the remaining 95%. So, being a 7-seater was only a bonus for me. A 5-seater is okay for my requirement. XUV 500 was very difficult to drive and park in the cities. Even while coming from Bangalore to Chennai, I used to pray the Almighty for the last few hundred metres, where I had to drive slowly and carefully from TTK Road to my street in Royapettah even in the small hours of the day. I had parked XUV 500 with great difficulty in Ladybird Hotel, Shillong, with pillars very close to it on both the sides. So, I was badly in need of a compact SUV like Nexon! I did not like the thin sheet-metal, hatchback door-mounted spare wheel and featureless and price-rich competitors to Nexon in the compact SUV segment. So, it was Nexon and Nexon only right from the day one. So, I did not test-drive any car other than Nexon.

DSC09329.JPG

Self and wife visited Concorde, Guindy, Chennai on 22 Sep 2017, test-drove Nexon diesel XZ+ for the first time for about 5 km in busy Chennai evening peak hour traffic in all the 3 modes, eco, city and sport and returned home fully satisfied. Two more test-drives followed in Bangalore. Considering MT to AMT, 78 BHP/ton to 83 BHP/ton and 185 NM/ton to 199 NM/ton, Harman sound system and smart key/wearable key-based start-stop system, Blue D is surely an upgrade from my erstwhile XUV 500 W8. I will surely miss cruise control in Blue D, but then, I cannot have the cake and eat it too!

DSC09330.JPG

Side-by-side, I was making enquiries for selling my ex 76 k km, 4.5-year-old XUV 500 and got the best exchange price at ₹ 8 lakhs. Immediately, I inked the deal. Mr R Kirubakar, Customer Advisor of TAFE Access assured me that I would get the car on or before 14 July 2018 but delivered it one week before the deadline.

DSC09341.JPG

I met Blue D on 30 June 2018 for the first time at the Nungambakkam yard of the dealer for PDI. Mr Kirubakar assured us that we would get our Blue D after a week after registration. He also got me free insurance, corporate discount of ₹ 3 k and mats and mudflaps. I did not opt for extended warranty and AMC. He frankly confessed that the handling charges could not be waived off due to company policies, and instead, got me the corporate discount and accessories. I paid the total on-road price of ₹ 12,48,659 including TN RTO road tax of ₹ 1,58,917 and tax collected at source at ₹ 10,719. I did not visit the dealer’s showroom even once during the waiting period. Mr Kirubakar, a fine gentleman, visited my home several times and took care of the documentation and payment. I visited the showroom only on 6 July 2018 to take delivery of Blue D.

DSC09345.JPG
DSC09358.JPG

Delivery experience was good at the showroom. A simple puja was done and Blue D was handed over. Mr Kirubakar explained the features and handed over the documents. A few photos were clicked and I drove via Marina beach and Mylapore to my home at Royapettah. Now, I am getting acquainted with Android Auto and other features of Blue D. I learnt from the social media that rear 12v charger is discontinued in the new XZA+ AMT. Even Blue D does not have the rear charger. Mr Kirubakar was also not aware of this.

DSC09347.JPG
DSC09352.JPG

After driving Blue D for about 50 km on the busy roads of Chennai for two days, the following are my initial likes and dislikes. First, my initial likes [clap]:

• Got impressed with AMT, especially the creep feature that allowed me to crawl in the busy Pondy Bazaar and Arcot Road in the evening. My left hand and leg were spared of gear-shifting and pressing clutch pedal. Superb.
• Tested the wearable key for a full day without carrying the spare smart key. Mr Kirubakar had earlier informed me that wearable key enables only access and for starting Blue D, I require smart key! But, I drove many km with wearable key only. The smart key was left at home. Since I was the first customer, who bought XZA+ AMT D from the dealer, he was not aware of the full potential of the wearable key. Fully satisfied.
• Auto-opening and auto-closing ORVM happens, when I start the engine and lock the car using driver-side door sensor with wearable key. Fantastic.
• Harman sound system was brilliant, far better than my previous XUV 500 and Linea.

DSC09354.JPG
DSC09355.JPG

Here are my initial dislikes [anger]:

• Felt very sad to note that rear 12V charger was missing in my Blue D. The initial batch of XZA+AMT had this. Very bad.
• There is no cabin light for the rear passengers. Another instance of unjustified cost-cutting. Not at all comfortable.
• I miss cruise-control. AMT+cruise control will make a great combination on a highway. When one of the fastest selling competitor is providing it, why not Tata Motors?
• Mirroring offline Navi Maps of my paired phone on the infotainment screen was not possible. I have to use the online Google Maps only using Android Auto.

DSC09369.JPG
DSC09367.JPG

A new journey has started, literally and metaphorically.

Re: My Precious Blue Diamond: Nexon XZA+ AMT D

Let me be the first person to congratulate here Mr Ravi.
Wish you many happy miles ahead with your Nexon.
After driving AMT for few weeks now, I have opinion that its best driven in Manual (M) mode for City drives.

Congrats J Ravi sir, I had been following your exploits with the petrol Linea and the XUV, glad to see you drive a Tata, says a lot for the company. Since you have the AMT a couple of questions.

1. Is the crawl feature jerky as I have heard in lot of AMTs,
2. How is the turning radius of the car
3. Since you travel a lot what you think of the boot? Enough for a family of two with a kid?

Congrats Ravi sir on your Blue Diamond, the much awaited review from the master.

Just yesterday I TDed the MT with wife, she's on board too, (I've done umpteen TD's on all the 4 variant both MT and AMT.)

The AMT is a revelation, I've the tiniest member Nano XTA and 20months and 15k km later, have no regrets.

Regards
Vinod

Meet my precious Blue Diamond [Blue D]: Nexon XZA+ AMT Diesel, which is my first automatic, first compact SUV, first Tata car, first dual-tone, second blue shade, second car from the Ranjangaon plant of FCA-Tata Motors, the first one being my erstwhile Linea, second diesel, the first one being my former XUV 500, the third car manufactured in Maharashtra, the first two being my ex-Linea and XUV 500, the list goes on and on.

View attachment 245980

Accompanied by my wife and children, I took delivery of her on 6 July 2018, Friday evening from TAFE Access, Anna Salai, Chennai.

View attachment 245981
View attachment 245982
View attachment 245983

Earlier, I booked with an advance of ₹ 10 k on 14 June 2018 after a long test-drive on the beautiful roads of Marina beach as I was fully impressed with the top AMT variant. In 2017, I had 3 test-drives of XZ+ diesel variant, one each with Concorde, Guindy, Chennai, Concorde, Mysore Road, Bangalore and Prerana, Lal Bagh Road, Bangalore. But then, I decided to wait for the launch of AMT variant. My expectation was fulfilled only in July, 2018.

View attachment 245984

Out of 76 k km, my ex XUV 500 must have carried 6/7/8 persons for a distance less than 5% and 5 persons or less for the remaining 95%. So, being a 7-seater was only a bonus for me. A 5-seater is okay for my requirement. XUV 500 was very difficult to drive and park in the cities. Even while coming from Bangalore to Chennai, I used to pray the Almighty for the last few hundred metres, where I had to drive slowly and carefully from TTK Road to my street in Royapettah even in the small hours of the day. I had parked XUV 500 with great difficulty in Ladybird Hotel, Shillong, with pillars very close to it on both the sides. So, I was badly in need of a compact SUV like Nexon! I did not like the thin sheet-metal, hatchback door-mounted spare wheel and featureless and price-rich competitors to Nexon in the compact SUV segment. So, it was Nexon and Nexon only right from the day one. So, I did not test-drive any car other than Nexon.

View attachment 245985

Self and wife visited Concorde, Guindy, Chennai on 22 Sep 2017, test-drove Nexon diesel XZ+ for the first time for about 5 km in busy Chennai evening peak hour traffic in all the 3 modes, eco, city and sport and returned home fully satisfied. Two more test-drives followed in Bangalore. Considering MT to AMT, 78 BHP/ton to 83 BHP/ton and 185 NM/ton to 199 NM/ton, Harman sound system and smart key/wearable key-based start-stop system, Blue D is surely an upgrade from my erstwhile XUV 500 W8. I will surely miss cruise control in Blue D, but then, I cannot have the cake and eat it too!

View attachment 245986

Side-by-side, I was making enquiries for selling my ex 76 k km, 4.5-year-old XUV 500 and got the best exchange price at ₹ 8 lakhs. Immediately, I inked the deal. Mr R Kirubakar, Customer Advisor of TAFE Access assured me that I would get the car on or before 14 July 2018 but delivered it one week before the deadline.

View attachment 245987

I met Blue D on 30 June 2018 for the first time at the Nungambakkam yard of the dealer for PDI. Mr Kirubakar assured us that we would get our Blue D after a week after registration. He also got me free insurance, corporate discount of ₹ 3 k and mats and mudflaps. I did not opt for extended warranty and AMC. He frankly confessed that the handling charges could not be waived off due to company policies, and instead, got me the corporate discount and accessories. I paid the total on-road price of ₹ 12,48,659 including TN RTO road tax of ₹ 1,58,917 and tax collected at source at ₹ 10,719. I did not visit the dealer’s showroom even once during the waiting period. Mr Kirubakar, a fine gentleman, visited my home several times and took care of the documentation and payment. I visited the showroom only on 6 July 2018 to take delivery of Blue D.

View attachment 245988
View attachment 245989

Delivery experience was good at the showroom. A simple puja was done and Blue D was handed over. Mr Kirubakar explained the features and handed over the documents. A few photos were clicked and I drove via Marina beach and Mylapore to my home at Royapettah. Now, I am getting acquainted with Android Auto and other features of Blue D. I learnt from the social media that rear 12v charger is discontinued in the new XZA+ AMT. Even Blue D does not have the rear charger. Mr Kirubakar was also not aware of this.

View attachment 245990
View attachment 245991

After driving Blue D for about 50 km on the busy roads of Chennai for two days, the following are my initial likes and dislikes. First, my initial likes [clap]:

• Got impressed with AMT, especially the creep feature that allowed me to crawl in the busy Pondy Bazaar and Arcot Road in the evening. My left hand and leg were spared of gear-shifting and pressing clutch pedal. Superb.
• Tested the wearable key for a full day without carrying the spare smart key. Mr Kirubakar had earlier informed me that wearable key enables only access and for starting Blue D, I require smart key! But, I drove many km with wearable key only. The smart key was left at home. Since I was the first customer, who bought XZA+ AMT D from the dealer, he was not aware of the full potential of the wearable key. Fully satisfied.
• Auto-opening and auto-closing ORVM happens, when I start the engine and lock the car using driver-side door sensor with wearable key. Fantastic.
• Harman sound system was brilliant, far better than my previous XUV 500 and Linea.

View attachment 245992
View attachment 245993

Here are my initial dislikes [anger]:

• Felt very sad to note that rear 12V charger was missing in my Blue D. The initial batch of XZA+AMT had this. Very bad.
• There is no cabin light for the rear passengers. Another instance of unjustified cost-cutting. Not at all comfortable.
• I miss cruise-control. AMT+cruise control will make a great combination on a highway. When one of the fastest selling competitor is providing it, why not Tata Motors?
• Mirroring offline Navi Maps of my paired phone on the infotainment screen was not possible. I have to use the online Google Maps only using Android Auto.

View attachment 245994
View attachment 245995

A new journey has started, literally and metaphorically.
congratulations sir ! great choice of vehicle suiting your needs very specifically .Safe driving [:)]

Hi Ravi sir,
Congratulations on your new Tata Nexon. Wishes to clock many more miles without issues.
Surprise that you are part of our group.

mayankdixit

Honoured Member

Many- many congratulations sir for your new nexon. Its the colour of my choice too!!
Wish you lacs of kms on this blue diamond. Hope you continue your travellogs on this one.

Blue D is surely an upgrade from my erstwhile XUV 500 W8. I will surely miss cruise control in Blue D.
Sir, with all due respects I totally beg to disagree on this one. I find that just the opposite is true!!

Actually its hurting me(because its coming from you) somewhere in my heart.
Anyway waiting for more pics of your Nexon.I am happy for you. Will miss your purple cheetah for sure.

Last edited:

Congrats sir. Looks great in Blue. About Missing 12v socket, its Tata's old and bad behavior. Many new Tiago owners also complained of this. I totally ridicule Tata for taking away the features.

Thread Starter #11

After driving AMT for few weeks now, I have opinion that its best driven in Manual (M) mode for City drives.
Thanks a lot, anshuman8. I will try your suggestion in my next drive.

Thank you, motomaverick.

Is the crawl feature jerky as I have heard in lot of AMTs
So far, I didn't feel any jerk while crawling. I felt jerks while accelerating in auto mode at the initial rpm.

How is the turning radius of the car
turning radius.jpg

Since you travel a lot what you think of the boot? Enough for a family of two with a kid?
Boot space is sufficient enough for long trips and airport shuttles.

Thanks, Vinod.

Thanks, Nairrk.

Thank you, Driveright.

Thanks, Ambylovers.

Many- many congratulations sir for your new nexon.
Thanks a lot, mayankdixit.

Hope you continue your travellogs on this one.
Yes, definitely!

I totally beg to disagree on this one.
It's alright. We agree to disagree! [:)]

Will miss your purple cheetah for sure.
Even I will. As I mentioned earlier, I needed an automatic very badly and Nexon ticked most of my requirements, if not all.

Thank you very much, AbhisekVerma.

Congratulations J Ravi Sir on your BLUE D, wonderful car and color.
Thanks a ton for the compliments and appreciation, SilverEyez.

One question, when you open the driver door the first time, do you hear a priming sound from the engine bay?

Tiago and Nano AMT buyers have confirmed this, so wanted to know, if the same theory applies on the 6speed GB.

Thanks

No, I didn't hear any sound from the engine bay, while opening the driver-side door for the first time during PDI or on the delivery day.
This is the AMT priming, so due to the Nexon's engine bay insulation, it would be a more muted sound.

I'll check on the TD car the next time I visit.

Top Bottom