My Pre-Owned Tata Safari 3.0 - Ownership Review

congrats [clap] on owning one of most reliable engine which every mechanic praise for it . Even i have owned its best and sound and feeling it gives after 2k rpm is awesome

Thread Starter #17
Still waiting ... earlier I was told that I would get the vehicle by Saturday (Apr 7th). When I called on Saturday, the guy said that it would be delivered on Monday (today.) When I called today I am told that now it will be delivered on Friday as some of the parts are not available. Also, their billing system would be down for 3 days.

BTW, the vehicle is at Bhosari workshop (Pune) of Pandit Auto.

Still waiting ... earlier I was told that I would get the vehicle by Saturday (Apr 7th). When I called on Saturday, the guy said that it would be delivered on Monday (today.) When I called today I am told that now it will be delivered on Friday as some of the parts are not available. Also, their billing system would be down for 3 days.

BTW, the vehicle is at Bhosari workshop (Pune) of Pandit Auto.
Welcome to the world of Tata After Sales Service, or as many Tata owners like to call it 'Tata After Sales No Service'. Since the 3.0 Dicor engine was discontinued in 2007 and considering the fact that even regular Safari spares are hard to come by at Tata dealerships, I suggest you do not take the ongoing delay lightly. Go to the workshop and ask them what all spare parts do they need and tell them to produce the purchase requisition for the same that they have dispatched to Tata Motors. Don't be surprised if they haven't placed an order for the required spare parts. Please post the details of spare parts that you obtain from the dealership here so that experts could help you out in sourcing the same in time. All the best.

Last edited:
I have not seen this issue from other users (who own their TATA car in my circle). But is this really so bad? I mean is it just becos of 3.0 or a regular attitude.

Hello and Welcome to the Safari club! I too own a 3.0L Safari, below is the ownership review of the same that might help you getting an idea about how the repair goes.

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...-burnt-recovered-reclaiming-65-000-kms-4.html

The claddings, front bumper and grill are repainted, clearly visible. What were the repair works that took the bill so high upwards 40K. :eek: I am really surprised because I recovered my burnt Safari to original with only 60-65k INR. Beware of the TASS they tend to change everything that could be repaired or even slightly out.

Thread Starter #21
Visited the workshop yesterday to check the status. All work is almost done, just fitting of fog lamps and few trials are left. Hoping to get the vehicle tomorrow (Friday) as today is a weekly off in MIDC.

Some of the major replacements / additions were battery, rear wiper motor, driver side window motor, suspension bushings, new set of side-steps, power steering belt, bellow (the old one was torn), all break pads, front cigarette lighter, etc. All oil changes including filters to be considered as well.

There were few repair works like the middle seat was not getting locked in upright position, some welding work was required. I guess even rear door lock is changed.

Overall it looked nice though I will have to drive it for a few hundred km before I can make any comments. But I am sure my feedback would certainly be positive about TASS, at least for Pandit auto workshop at Bhosari (Pune.)

Will paste a copy of bill here once I get it. I guess I will have to prepare mentally for considerable bills and wait times for servicing a vehicle like Safari. But that should be fine as owning and driving a Safari is a different experience altogether :)

Wanted to put some big lamps (something like Halogens), so any suggestions would be appreciated. Will post few more pictures of the vehicle (interior & exterior) once I get it and would love to get some inputs to make it really dashing!!!

Cheers.

Last edited:
^^ You could either go for 100W Philips Rally with relay setup, it should be enough for most night drives. If you want to littttttttt up the entire road, try Hella lamps or PIAA lamps. Hellas will cost bomb but they justify in performance, while PIAA's are cheaper alternative with comparable performance.

Thread Starter #25
Yet to get the vehicle. Called SA on Friday and he said that they couldn't figure out the problem with 'Check Engine' light glowing all the time. Hence, they were planning to send the vehicle to Tata motors to get it checked by their engineers. Committed to deliver the vehicle on Monday.

Just hoping to get it tomorrow :)

Yet to get the vehicle. Called SA on Friday and he said that they couldn't figure out the problem with 'Check Engine' light glowing all the time. Hence, they were planning to send the vehicle to Tata motors to get it checked by their engineers. Committed to deliver the vehicle on Monday.

Hope you get is tomorrow with all issues resolved so you could enjoy the ride and make your own road .

Is it Back? and all issues resolved? Sorry I wanted to know more about Tata service and i'm going be a potential buyer for this brand.

Is it Back? and all issues resolved? Sorry I wanted to know more about Tata service and i'm going be a potential buyer for this brand.
So far what I have heard tata ass is good and bad depends on the dealer, city and your relationship with them . Tata takes customer feedback seriously too. You just can't relax with tata and mahindra as you would say with a toyota you have to be on your toes and very vigilant .

Thread Starter #30
Finally, my Safari is back. Just brought it back and seems all issues are resolved except the 'Check Engine' light glowing continuously. Will have to drive for some time to assess the work done. But overall it looks Ok.

All the issues mentioned were fixed. For 'Check Engine' light, the SA said that some diesel something has to be replaced which might cost around 17-18K. Will recheck with him about that part. Thinking of getting a sort-of second opinion from few experts about this issue.

Will be going to Shegaon this weekend, so the round trip of almost 1000 km should be an ideal test. Apart from the delay I don't think I have to comment anything negative about my experience with TASS.

The bill was exactly 71K, yet to get the detail receipt as their billing system is down. Will put it here once I get it. Many parts are replaced so I guess I may not have to worry for at least another 4-5 years, or at least 50K km, apart from regular servicing.

Top Bottom